Mickwhitt

What did you do today?

Pullstart

Doing some yard/farm cleanup.  Mother Nature has been trying to take over the barns and I’m taking them back.

The dog house has been a catch all for too many years.  I bet the dog’s been gone for 10 or so?

It was just harboring mice…

F0CB316D-1A40-4795-9015-B053E315EAE1.jpeg

AF9A2E9C-E517-44AB-96C8-D693587F6F1A.jpeg

D42F50E6-6A63-481B-81A8-7E586CD0A80F.jpeg

• Like 5

elcamino/wheelhorse

@Pullstart don't think  mice pulled that cat back muffler system to the dog house.

• Haha 3

ebinmaine
4 minutes ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

@Pullstart don't think  mice pulled that cat back muffler system to the dog house.

BBIIGG mice 

• Thanks 1

Pullstart

I got some real big meece round these parts…

@elcamino/wheelhorse that cat back is a “new Camaro” take off.  FIL’s boss bought one brand new and proceeded to make it bigger and badder.  I think he power toured it once or twice while his Chevelle was getting worked on and he was building his ‘69 Camaro.

2199431A-DB49-4352-B25C-3B69B042F1AF.jpeg

• Haha 1

Pullstart

Figured I’d split some wood.  Ground bees ain’t happy about it!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

Only guy I know that kills a tire splitting wood. 

• Thanks 1

Pullstart
3 minutes ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

Only guy I know that kills a tire splitting wood. 

I’ve shared it before… but it makes a HUGE difference splitting in bulk!  No lost time picking it back up, edge stays sharper longer too.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

Ed Kennell

Whew, now I know why I bought a hydraulic splitter.     

• Haha 2
  • Heart 1

Pullstart

Tires help with little ones too.

92093BEF-D4DC-4187-B42B-B9736370D50E.jpeg

4A42C496-5767-413B-832A-FC08B3B45506.jpeg

• Like 2

SylvanLakeWH

Bee be gone...

image.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, Ed Kennell said:

Whew, now I know why I bought a hydraulic splitter.     

That's a big 10-4 right there brother man!!

Pullstart

More cleanup today.  I did some edging around the cement approaches, pulled more grapevine, wild raspberry, and some trees that sprout from their own root system.

I’m starting to get somewhere!

87ACE08A-BC24-4E22-8B64-F84FEAE8A704.jpeg

581C56F3-4793-4363-9827-47585B0F4876.jpeg

2FB963C5-F175-43ED-9218-6843EB44138C.jpeg

• Like 5

Ed Kennell

Spent most of the day researching some of the hundreds of new 2023 medicare advantage health care insurance plans.    Then 90 minutes  on the phone transferring to the new plan that I selected.   Now to contact social security to set up the new monthly premium from my SS.     That will be another day....think I'll go set in a tree for the remainder of this day.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3

Stormin

Usual Thursday run over the border to my mate Dunc's in Scotland. First job was to cut up and remove a fallen tree, that came down in the storm we had yesterday. Used his C125 and 4 wheeled trailer to cart it down to his wood storage area. 

Rest of the day spent working on his 101 ex military Land Rover.

• Like 3

elcamino/wheelhorse

@Stormin You  are a man of many talents for some one hangs around in the basement and puts up with @squonk.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

lynnmor
3 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

Spent most of the day researching some of the hundreds of new 2023 medicare advantage health care insurance plans.    Then 90 minutes  on the phone transferring to the new plan that I selected.   Now to contact social security to set up the new monthly premium from my SS.     That will be another day....think I'll go set in a tree for the remainder of this day.

If you go to https://www.medicare.gov/ you can compare plans and make the changes you want, there is no need to deal with people that have their best interest in mind.  I check each year to see if I am getting the best deal for me and it doesn't take long at all.  I use a Medicare Advantage plan and that is slightly hidden on the website, but it is easy to do what needs to be done and if I want to change it, just a few mouse clicks takes care of it.  The highly advertised plans, the mailings, the brokers and the advisors all need to just go away.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

oliver2-44

Cut down and dug out a huge yuca type plant. I should have taken a picture before I started. 
8C321FD0-33C1-4A88-9AA5-0D7C8AF2E3B3.jpeg.1ed880ba9fc02e5c20faf62a5d10945e.jpeg You can see all the tops lined up behind the dirt pile. My C160 helped dig the hole and break off the soft roots. 

0BD64B8B-C412-41B8-B5AE-B7EA6169EC8F.jpeg.d723da4a49938a32b833c81b74ccd80d.jpegThe root pile next to the dozer blade is about 1/3 of them. The rest are already in the trash can. Took all morning to get it 

the mass of dried spiny leaves around the trunks was hell to cut with the chain saw. They kept getting pulled into the drive gear area and bogging down the saw. 

• Like 5

ebinmaine
5 hours ago, oliver2-44 said:

mass of dried spiny leaves around the trunks was hell to cut with the chain saw. They kept getting pulled into the drive gear area and bogging down the saw

For future reference to cutting anything around dirt like that... Use a sawzall with a super coarse blade. Works like a charm. 

We've done a LOT of root removal here with all the land clearing. 

There are blades with reinforced teeth on a 4 to 6 TPI count and varying lengths. 

Extremely handy.  

• Like 3

19richie66
4 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

For future reference to cutting anything around dirt like that... Use a sawzall with a super coarse blade. Works like a charm. 

We've done a LOT of root removal here with all the land clearing. 

There are blades with reinforced teeth on a 4 to 6 TPI count and varying lengths. 

Extremely handy.  

I cut up many small trees and shrubs with my sawall and a pruning blade. Very effective.

FD89B4DB-9908-45CD-BCB5-F8CAFE22B0FA.jpeg

Edited by 19richie66
  • Like 3

Pullstart

Roller coaster of a day yesterday.  Started with yard work, ended up at Vanderbilt Hospital, Broadway, Nashville, TN.  My wife’s cousin’s 1 year old boy wasn’t expected to make it through the night.  A case of acute leukemia took him over and we came down to support his parents in any way.  He’s the youngest of 7 kids.  He’s on an ECMO machine keeping his blood and oxygen moving.  Otherwise he’d have been gone by the time we arrived for sure.  Prayers, thoughts, juju, etc. for little Declan!

Edited by Pullstart
  • Sad 7
  • Heart 1

ebinmaine
6 minutes ago, Pullstart said:

juju

Sent!!

Instant Express superfast delivery of course.  

• Heart 1

Achto

I pray for his recovery.

SylvanLakeWH

Prayers sent for him and family...

953 nut
14 hours ago, lynnmor said:

I use a Medicare Advantage plan

My brother passed away last year and while processing and paying his bills I discovered that the only people who are advantaged with the "Advantage Plans" are the insurance companies.

Following a stroke my brother was hospitalized for four days (every bit had a deductible amount and/or out of network fee that the "Advantage Plan didn't pay) then transferred to a SNF (Skilled Nursing Facility). Medicare paid the first twenty days in full. After the twenty days are up you are on the hook for $ 170.50 per day (Medicare agreed amount, non-negotiable) if you don't have coverage for that portion. The "Advantage Plan paid nothing! While at the SNF his health declined and my brother went back to the hospital for about three weeks in intensive care and passed away there.

My wife and I pay about $ 200 a month each for a supplement that includes up to 100 days SNF and there are no out of network charges or co-pays for anything.

My brother's uncovered SNF bill was over $ 6,000 and the hospital co-pays that were not covered by the "Advantage Plan" were over $ 20,000. He had not paid any plan premiums during the time he was covered by the "Advantage Plan" but if he had lived a few months longer at the SNF they would have owned his house! In his case the money he saved by not paying any premiums was almost equivalent to the "Rolls Royce" plan my wife and I have. None of us have the luxury of knowing when we will need quality insurance coverage but I am comfortable in knowing I won't be leaving a mess behind for others to clean up.

• Sad 3

davem1111
45 minutes ago, Pullstart said:

Roller coaster of a day yesterday.  Started with yard work, ended up at Vanderbilt Hospital, Broadway, Nashville, TN.  My wife’s cousin’s 1 year old boy wasn’t expected to make it through the night.  A case of acute leukemia took him over and we came down to support his parents in any way.  He’s the you best of 7 kids.  He’s on an ECMO machine keeping his blood and oxygen moving.  Otherwise he’d have been gone by the time we arrived for sure.  Prayers, thoughts, juju, etc. for little Declan!

:pray::pray:

I hope that he comes through this okay. No parent should ever have to watch their own child slip away... I saw what it did to my parents, and my brother was 39 when he died. 

I'm going to guess that you'll be going through Indiana on your way back home - if you need anything, let me know. I'm not far off I-69.

• Excellent 1