DMB41

Sparks when PTO engaged

DMB41

Hi All,

My first post on here so apologies in advance for any rookie mistakes.

First off, I am the proud owner of a "new to me" 312-8. I took it out for a spin yesterday and when I engaged the PTO, currently there is a 42 in side discharge mower deck on it, there were sparks flying from the disk directly below the muffler (maybe the flywheel or clutch?). Any idea what that may be and what needs to be addressed?

Thank you !!

The Tuul Crib

Sounds like there is no more

pad on the clutch disc. 

:text-welcomeconfetti:T😎 :rs:

:wwp:

• Like 2

SylvanLakeWH

:text-yeahthat:

And...   :text-welcomeconfetti:

gwest_ca

Just a guess on model year but the parts will be the same.

Toro is quite proud of their parts so shop around.

Our venders may have used and new.

https://www.partstree.com/models/73362-312-8-toro-garden-tractor-sn-069000001-069999999-1996/pto-clutch-and-control-27/

Garry

• Like 1

Achto

:WRS:

Racinbob

Contact @rednos here and he's got them. All NOS, some use rivits, some glue on and he's also got them already mounted to the plate. :)

Edited by Racinbob
  • Like 1

DMB41

Wow what a great community!

thank you all for your responses. I will reach out to @rednos

lynnmor

Make sure that the motor mounting bolts are tight, if the motor can move perhaps the pulley hits something.  BTDT

wallfish

:WRS:

You can just look at the edge in there to see if the clutch lining pad is missing.

If it's there, look to see if the hoop part is contacting the pulley housing right where it connects those parts. If the roll pin is broken it will allow them to make contact.

Post some pics of your setup.

Edited by wallfish

WHX??

:text-yeahthat::WRS:

DMB41
On 4/6/2020 at 10:19 AM, lynnmor said:

Make sure that the motor mounting bolts are tight, if the motor can move perhaps the pulley hits something.  BTDT

Thank you for the tip. I will definitely check that out. 

DMB41

Hello All,

I took another look and was surprised at what I found. The PTO lever actually is hitting the top of the clutch which is throwing sparks. I’m assuming a cotter pin fell out along the way? Every time I engage the PTO the top of the bar hits and grinds. 

I’ve attached some pictures.

16CFFFC3-F163-4879-96E6-49331815067B.jpeg

3B836248-C663-4727-BABD-E6FCF5F9438C.jpeg

A26D01DD-1781-40AD-8BF3-31BD83969254.jpeg

E31B7B1A-E3A2-41B2-B27A-C1F4D63EED99.jpeg

• Like 1

Racinbob

There you go. You should put a washer under the cotter pin. :)

• Excellent 2

oldredrider

While you're there working on your pto,  the belt should be on the inner (larger) pulley for the mower deck.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

DMB41
1 hour ago, Racinbob said:

There you go. You should put a washer under the cotter pin. :)

Thank you! :handgestures-thumbupright:

DMB41
26 minutes ago, oldredrider said:

While you're there working on your pto,  the belt should be on the inner (larger) pulley for the mower deck.

Thank you for the advice! Any tips to get it off? I assume just a bit of pressure and the belt should pull off? 

The Tuul Crib
31 minutes ago, oldredrider said:

:text-yeahthat:

pfrederi

Loosen the mule drive {black knob n the front of the tractor)  will give you slack to move the belt to the inner pulley then retighten it. 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

DMB41
1 minute ago, pfrederi said:

Loosen the mule drive {black knob n the front of the tractor)  will give you slack to move the belt to the inner pulley then retighten it. 

Thank you, I will give it a go!!

oliver2-44

I have a 312-8 and it’s a great worker

since your going to pull the PTO Hoop off, now would be a good time to grease the bearing inside the PTO pulley cone. I would just wipe the old grease out of it with a clean rag. I use wheel bearing grease to regressed mine. I don’t recommend putting the whole pulley in solvent for cleaning because there in also a sealed bearing on the end of pulley for that stub shaft

Tuneup

Welcome DMB41!

Since it's new to you, it has many unknowns that could become issues. You may as well sort them all out quickly so you don't get discouraged down the road. You've already found the PTO issue and that may just be the first. After all, none of these are new and some have been jury-rigged over the years, if mine are any indication. Take some shelter-in-place time, seems we have lots of that, and get to know the tractor. Disconnect the deck and check underneath, check smoothness of it, remount and adjust it for proper operation. Check all the engine connections and for leaks. Have a look at the trans and its fluid. Grease the deck, steering and front wheels as needed. Check ALL the electrical connection points for cleanliness. This is just me but I can't own anything unless I know everything I can about it so I take it apart. This list will give you the best of advice and all the manuals are a click or two away. :-)

• Excellent 2

peter lena

welcome , dmb41 ! as you have found out , the answers  are here to your issue, a lot of this is basic knowledge to the members above , with added information to help you along. question i have is,  there a  local near by fellow wheel horse owner near you ?. it would be great if there was a reach out to you and contact , to have someone show you how things should be . good luck with it and i hope someone near by helps you out , i live in ledyard ct , but if you were closer , i would help you out , pete

953 nut

:WRS:                                    Glad your problem has been solved.                 :text-coolphotos:

Pullstart

:text-welcomeconfetti: @DMB41!  As you can see, there’s not many helpful folks on this forum.  Nobody was even nice enough to warn you that Horses like herds and beware that they tend to multiply!

• Haha 2