elcamino/wheelhorse

I have be nuts more than ever

squonk

Ahh yes. Those old gauge spring contact whoobie-doobies!:banana-wrench:

Edited by squonk
  • Haha 2

elcamino/wheelhorse

And the question is how do you remove the doobies ???? Pry  them out carefully ??? I pulled a cluster from an 85 Monte Carlo  SS which was a lot easier and there is a big difference between the two. Both the 84 and 85 use the same printed circuit . 

squonk

Yup get a crowbar and go to town! :) Trying to remember 40 years back but I think you work them so the flat parts are against the plastic and then sort of rock them out. 

• Haha 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

Have you used one of those  Plastic welders from HF , I am sure I need one or something like it.

Edited by elcamino/wheelhorse

Stepney

Depending what your trying to do, the way I was taught to do plastic welding on antique snowmobiles, was to use a pointed solder gun. Something real hot but controllable. We would use a 'sacrificial' piece of the same plastic that couldnt be seen easily. V notch it out with a file, and remelt and add in the plastic .. like TIG welding, almost a little easier on the eyes..

Sounds nuts, but it has never failed ..

And I own an '85 F150 with a plastic fantastic dash .. i can speak to that.:blink:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

elcamino/wheelhorse

@WVHillbilly520H That is where some of the parts came from . Can't find NOS  or good used stock .  Took about  a month and 1/2  to gather parts mainly due to costs.  The 4  small gauges over $50.00 each with shipping. The new circuit for the TACH was $50.00 , plus new wire with condenser  to TACH  was $55.00 , bulbs was $65.00  and 14 bulb holders was about $40.00 . Going to use same old speedo. The printed circuit  for the cluster was about $140.00   Hope the wife does not read this.Ha Ha 

You think  520 wiring is a pain,  the El Camino is a whole worst.

• Haha 2

ZXT
56 minutes ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

@WVHillbilly520H That is where some of the parts came from . Can't find NOS  or good used stock .  Took about  a month and 1/2  to gather parts mainly due to costs.  The 4  small gauges over $50.00 each with shipping. The new circuit for the TACH was $50.00 , plus new wire with condenser  to TACH  was $55.00 , bulbs was $65.00  and 14 bulb holders was about $40.00 . Going to use same old speedo. The printed circuit  for the cluster was about $140.00   Hope the wife does not read this.Ha Ha 

Man, that adds up quick! Were they all bad or are you just changing them since you're in there?

Before I put $560+ into a stock instrument cover, as ugly as they are, I'd have to go for this $20 fix :lol:

2348_43.jpg

• Haha 2

Pullstart

Jim.  46990 miles, or has it rolled over?  

• Like 1

squonk
5 hours ago, pullstart said:

Jim has rolled over 6 times. Once just trying to find a place to eat! :lol:

• Haha 3

WVHillbilly520H
6 hours ago, ZXT said:

, as ugly as they are, 

Easy there I have a G body as well :angry-tappingfoot:.

7 hours ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

I never really complained about the 520 wiring unless some other buffoon was in there before... Funny thing is my car is older (1978) and been spliced on a few times before I bought it plus sits way more and the all my gauge still work must be that southern exposure. This may have been easier https://www.dixierestorationdepot.com/Product/Detail.aspx?s=DM01534 SILBLUE ...

• Thanks 1

ZXT
3 hours ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

I was talking about the 3 accessory gauges that I posted a picture to.

I've owned one of them as well.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

WVHillbilly520H

My ugly...

EFFECTS-1.jpg

• Like 4
  • Heart 1

elcamino/wheelhorse
13 hours ago, ZXT said:

Man, that adds up quick! Were they all bad or are you just changing them since you're in there?

Before I put $560+ into a stock instrument cover, as ugly as they are, I'd have to go for this $20 fix :lol:

2348_43.jpg

The gas gauge was iffy and the tach was acting crazy , some of the bulbs were blown. Figured if I was going to tear apart to replace bulb might as well replace all of them. 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

elcamino/wheelhorse
13 hours ago, pullstart said:

146990 on the speedo

• Thanks 1

elcamino/wheelhorse
6 hours ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

I never really complained about the 520 wiring unless some other buffoon was in there before... Funny thing is my car is older (1978) and been spliced on a few times before I bought it plus sits way more and the all my gauge still work must be that southern exposure. This may have been easier https://www.dixierestorationdepot.com/Product/Detail.aspx?s=DM01534 SILBLUE ...

I thought about the replacement cluster , but I want to keep El stinko as close to original as possible. There were only 1389 of this model produced in 1984.  Got a small fortune in it already . Was thinking about selling it and get a pickup , but the price of used trucks is way over my budget , then the transmission committed suicide in June 2019 . Had it rebuild to the tune on of $1980.00 . Then in October the power steering gear box started leaking bad. Another $500.00 .   

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

ACman

Hey Jim @elcamino/wheelhorse sorry didn’t see this earlier but this is the best guy I know of .:twocents-02cents: You just take out your cluster and mail it to them and shows back up better than knew . A 2003 Silverado instrument cluster was 120 bucks with all new motors and fix any broken circuits. All bench tested before it leaves. I think it was 20 bucks to change all the lights to led’s . They can fix about any gage you can think of even gauges for horses:wh: .

https://www.bobsspeedometer.com/1/120/index.asp

I’d also check out these guys. 

https://www.gbodyparts.com

Edited by ACman

Pullstart
58 minutes ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

I thought about the replacement cluster , but I want to keep El stinko as close to original as possible. There were only 1389 of this model produced in 1984.  Got a small fortune in it already . Was thinking about selling it and get a pickup , but the price of used trucks is way over my budget , then the transmission committed suicide in June 2019 . Had it rebuild to the tune on of $1980.00 . Then in October the power steering gear box started leaking bad. Another $500.00 .   

@elcamino/wheelhorse is way more catchy than ElCamino/pickuptruck...

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Pullstart
42 minutes ago, pullstart said:

@elcamino/wheelhorse is way more catchy than ElCamino/pickuptruck...

I botched my own joke...  pickuptruck/wheelhorse.  :hide:

• Haha 4

ZXT
Just now, pullstart said:

I botched my own joke...  pickuptruck/wheelhorse.  :hide:

I was about to call you out on that :lol:

• Haha 1

Tractorhead
1 hour ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

Ouch, that hurts,

I hope you find quick a good and cheap Source to fixup your „El stinko“ 😂

oh Boy, what a name...

independently if another Pickup was reachable, i like the uniquness of the El Camino‘s.

They become more and more rare, but they had a great shape, i found.

Sadly that they don‘t build actually such a Car further

In the last Years i still lurking for an usable One,

but if they being sold in usable conditions, the price ranges started at 15.000$,

better covered exemplars is up to 25.000-30.000$.

I found here only extremely high priced or absolute out of question Status.

• Thanks 1

squonk
3 hours ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

146990 on the speedo

EEEEWWWW!!!  BETTER GET THAT CHANGED PRONTO! :hide::angry-tappingfoot:

• Haha 1

elcamino/wheelhorse
2 hours ago, ACman said:

Hey Jim @elcamino/wheelhorse sorry didn’t see this earlier but this is the best guy I know of .:twocents-02cents: You just take out your cluster and mail it to them and shows back up better than knew . A 2003 Silverado instrument cluster was 120 bucks with all new motors and fix any broken circuits. All bench tested before it leaves. I think it was 20 bucks to change all the lights to led’s . They can fix about any gage you can think of even gauges for horses:wh: .

https://www.bobsspeedometer.com/1/120/index.asp

I’d also check out these guys. 

https://www.gbodyparts.com

Then I would not be having all this fun, I looked at some of those sites , but I did all the work to pull it out.