Greentored

520H mild resto/light custom- finished pics!

Greentored
9 minutes ago, pullstart said:

I’ve been told by the plow veterans that you only go half as deep as the size of the plow...  Normally it’s good to plow in 2nd gear... unless you’re from MN then you go third gear wide open...  @wheelhorseman Lowell and Travis!

I ran the engine about 3 grand and pinned the hydro lever on a couple passes and it laid the furrows over nice! Actually, that was an attempt to make that onan grunt but it never broke a sweat.

Work was getting done too fast, had to slow down before the entire property got plowed haha.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

Achto
4 hours ago, Greentored said:

the moldboard had a pretty good coat of surface rust, I just let the dirt shine it up

When you put your plow away, coat the shiny surface of the plow with a thin coat of grease. this will keep it from rusting while your not using it. I'm kinda anal and try to do this as soon as I'm done for the day.

3 hours ago, pullstart said:

I’ve been told by the plow veterans that you only go half as deep as the size of the plow

:text-yeahthat: Spot on Kevin.:handgestures-thumbupright: 

I once got a ribbing from a guy plowing with a steam engine. He said "What are you trying to show us up? :eusa-think: Your plowing deeper than we are." :D Told him "Sorry, I'm used to trying to high center the guy behind me" :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Achto

Double post correction.:confusion-shrug::lol: Wish I knew why this happens.

Edited by Achto

Rob R

Man the engine sounds so mello and sweet nice job with it and the exhaust …… Kudo"s

• Like 1

Pullstart

I missed the video until @Rob R mentioned the sound... that hood is so perfect!  Looks better than new!

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H

@Greentored, here's a better picture of my drag link mod... I added 3 extra holes not 4.

IMAG0392.jpg

• Like 2

PeacemakerJack
13 hours ago, Greentored said:

Only thing I can think to whine about is that sleeve hitch design. Sure isnt much travel, is there?  I had to adjust it so the plow share point was pretty much scraping the ground in the full 'up' position in order to get the depth I needed, and still didnt quite get down as far as I wanted to.  I have a real good understanding of how linkage/mechanical advantage works. Can I punch a new attachment hole in the rock shaft and/or hitch for more travel, and will the lift cable be able to handle that extra strain?

wh27.jpg

All right...I feel like I have failed you and I haven’t even met you. Let me explain, I have built a  Plow Mule(what we plow dogs call a purpose built furrow turning tractor) that I call GhostRider. It is a 314-8 that I have owned for about 5 years now and I’ve done a bunch of mods to make it a good plowing machine.  The only thing left to science out is the hitch lift problem.  I have never gotten more than about an inch off the ground with the suck point in full lift if the plow was set for typical depth plowing. Kevin @pullstart built me a great hitch but when I hooked it up, I still had the same problem with lift distance.  The only thing that I can think of is the rockshaft in the back of the frame that the cable attaches to...i feel like the geometry isn’t optimal for the lift situation.  I have noticed that WH tractors with a direct connection lift arm/ram via cable to the “ear” on the sleeve hitch have no problem with a full travel.  Whereas the later rockshaft design doesn’t.  I was planning to work on bypassing that on GhostRider last fall but just plain got busy building a large custom home and haven’t had the motivation to work on it.  When I finally do, I’ll let you know if it solved my problem...

I’m glad you got to do some earth turning...I hope you enjoyed it.  Please put a picture of your rig plowing and a little write up about you first experience in our plowing thread in the implements section...

• Like 3

WVHillbilly520H

@Greentored here's a pic of the weighted box blade and my 520 outfitted turn sod...

IMAG4133.jpg

IMAG3375.jpg

IMAG3376.jpg

• Like 2

Greentored

Thanks @PeacemakerJack !!! Was wondering the same thing, about skipping the rock shaft. Being new to all this I didnt realize that was even possible and actually bought a used rock shaft to install. There is certainly plenty of travel on the ram and arm it attaches to. Skipping the rock shaft would sure simplify things a lot.

Ill post up on the 'rolling dirt' thread.

• Like 1

Lee1977
1 hour ago, Greentored said:

Thanks @PeacemakerJack !!! Was wondering the same thing, about skipping the rock shaft. Being new to all this I didnt realize that was even possible and actually bought a used rock shaft to install. There is certainly plenty of travel on the ram and arm it attaches to. Skipping the rock shaft would sure simplify things a lot.

Ill post up on the 'rolling dirt' thread.

Just watch out for your gas tank. That rocker keep the cable centered in the opening between the two sides of the gas tank. Might not be a problem .

• Like 1

Pullstart
21 hours ago, Lee1977 said:

Just watch out for your gas tank. That rocker keep the cable centered in the opening between the two sides of the gas tank. Might not be a problem .

Add a roller guide?