Greentored

520H mild resto/light custom- finished pics!

The Tuul Crib

Very nice!

edgro

The all red hood gives it a good look!

Good job

Ed Kennell

Yep, all red and almond wheels.   My favorite colors.    Nice job and she looks anxious to go to work.      Any chance to hear a video of that stacked Onan?

• Like 1

Pullstart

Looks great!

Greentored
18 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

Any chance to hear a video of that stacked Onan?

Cant get a vid to load, but will see if I can upload it to my youtube account and post a link. Shes got a nice 'neighbor friendly' rumble:lol:

• Like 1

Pullstart

Yep, YouTube videos post well here.  If you share/copy the link, then paste it here... wait a few seconds and it’ll auto-embed as a video instead of a link. :handgestures-thumbupright:  looking forward to the rumble!

Greentored

Ok fellas, Ill work on that.

After taking these pics I took a little shakedown trail ride, down behind my shop, past my deer hunting stands, found a nice steep, loose dirt hill to see how these tires and 18 total gallons of washer fluid ballast worked. It was incredible!  Took it back to the shop, hosed it off.

.......then got a wild hair in my rear. Home is a little over a mile from the shop. Yeah, I did........ then toured the neighborhood, took it to watch some football at our friends place, and back to the shop about 9pm. Never has so much fun going so slow! :lol:

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Heart 2

Pullstart

That’s a perfect day of shakedowns!  How’d it do on fuel mileage?

peter lena

greentored, excellent  ! your subtle  detailing was what did it for me , the combination of wheel horse parts ,making it all come together. while i can understand making anything a show queen , its your practical view and common sense that really stands out. your work looks a lot like what i would do with the same issues , thanks for the pictures , pete

• Thanks 1

Greentored

Here ya go, fellas! Tried to climb a hill to make it bark a little, but it just lit the tires up haha. 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Heart 1

Greentored
22 hours ago, pullstart said:

That’s a perfect day of shakedowns!  How’d it do on fuel mileage?

half a tank at 3.5 hours on the clock.  Thats like 11mpg :lol:

• Excellent 1

N875ED

Your Eaton linkage-mod appears to have sped up quite well. Have you used GPS on your phone to get a top speed?

Greentored
2 hours ago, N875ED said:

Your Eaton linkage-mod appears to have sped up quite well. Have you used GPS on your phone to get a top speed?

I have not but thats a great idea, Ill do it and post results. Full linkage travel going forward now with no modifications, but the best part was being able to make that happen without regard to reverse speed, then working that side to get reverse back. My guess is 6mph forward, 4 reverse.

HC gear set on the way, then she will be where I want her!

Edited by Greentored
  • Like 1

balconio
On 1/12/2020 at 12:27 PM, Greentored said:

For those who didnt catch the other restoration thread- this is my first red tractor, and first tractor restoration. I did not go TOO crazy, as this baby is going to get used as it should. Attempted to make it look like an older horse, and tried a little mild patina as well.

BIG THANK YOU to you folks here who helped me along, especially when it came to research and mods to keep that big Onan cool down here in the south. It now has an oil filter relocation, belt guard vent, and blocked off air intake tube in the shroud.

This was a lot of fun, and have a feeling it wont be my last Horse in the stable.  How did I do for a tractor noob?

wh26.jpg

Are these SunF G003 tires? If so, wondering how you like those. i was convinced i wanted ATV tires for the grip, until i learned the load rating is very low and would ruin my chances of towing a hay wagon full of people.

WHX??

Real nice Green... the red mask kinda grows on ya and the red intake really pops! :handgestures-thumbupright: I wanted to do that to one of mine but it was too busted up to stick time into so I just painted the screen behind it and thought that was the cats meow! You would like one of Matt's pedal kits. Guy with your talents could probably  make his own. Ive also got seats like that on a couple of tractors ...they're a little firm but plant one's butt firmly for good control.... real nice

• Like 1

Greentored

Thanks WHX!  Wasnt sure if it would look ok or not (those black mask tractors ARE pretty sharp) but it grew on me fast. Good ole Tractor supply 45.00 seat, yep it works.

• Excellent 1

Greentored

Took yesterday afternoon off and put her to work for the first time. Drag is a home built piece for clearing brush out of the hedge rows, it works but needs more tines.  First time ever running a plow on my own, so thats off the bucket list too.

I cant get over the torque that big Onan has, my God I couldnt even make her snort a little. The rear tires bit excellent and the front end stayed on the ground, no doubt 18 gallons of washer fluid helped with that.

Only thing I can think to whine about is that sleeve hitch design. Sure isnt much travel, is there?  I had to adjust it so the plow share point was pretty much scraping the ground in the full 'up' position in order to get the depth I needed, and still didnt quite get down as far as I wanted to.  I have a real good understanding of how linkage/mechanical advantage works. Can I punch a new attachment hole in the rock shaft and/or hitch for more travel, and will the lift cable be able to handle that extra strain?

wh27.jpg

wh28.jpg

• Excellent 2

WHX??
3 hours ago, Greentored said:

cant get over the torque that big Onan has,

Yes nothing like the power of a good running Onan. Sometimes a bugger to get running right when they aren't and that's why they have a love/hate relationship here. 

The lift cable will handle the load but I don't' think that more travel is is going to help. Put up a pic of your hitch work. You get a 6 to 8 inch furrow depth your in the money. looks like you weren't getting a good roll tho. Maybe a tad higher ground speed?? and the mold board should  have a mirror finish.

Looks like wetter soil and surprised you didn't have traction problems with the caked tires??   @PeacemakerJack @Achto @Shynon @prondzy calling all plow dogs.... anything to add? 

WVHillbilly520H
5 hours ago, Greentored said:

Only thing I can think to whine about is that sleeve hitch design. Sure isnt much travel, is there?  I had to adjust it so the plow share point was pretty much scraping the ground in the full 'up' position in order to get the depth I needed, and still didnt quite get down as far as I wanted to.  I have a real good understanding of how linkage/mechanical advantage works. Can I punch a new attachment hole in the rock shaft and/or hitch for more travel, and will the lift cable be able to handle that extra strain?

I know it's not the best pic but I just added 4 more holes down the drag arm on the hitch now I can vary it with the clevis or the chain or the rockshaft or combination there of...

Screenshot_2020-01-24-13-40-13.png

20200123_171021.jpg

• Like 2

Greentored

WHX

Oh hell, the moldboard had a pretty good coat of surface rust, I just let the dirt shine it up.  Between that and being thrilled watching this dig with no effort, no doubt my ground speed was too slow- the furrows certainly arent arrow straight haha. The soil is a little damp, and actually we have a good couple months before its planting time, just couldnt stand waiting til then and had to try it out. This will most likely be turned again and disc'd up. Id say she was going down about 6", is that all I should expect?

Thanks for tagging the guru's- Will take all the advice (and possible ball busting) I can get-  A-1 plow virgin here:lol:

Edited by Greentored
  • Like 1

Greentored
2 minutes ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

I know it's not the best pic but I just added 4 more holes down the drag arm on the hitch now I can vary it with the clevis or the chain or the rockshaft or combination there of...

Bingo!  No issues with the extra strain on the lift cable?  Picks a plow right up?

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H
Just now, Greentored said:

Bingo!  No issues with the extra strain on the lift cable?  Picks a plow right up?

Same cable since 1998/9.... No issues yet plus I have and 80-100# box blade I use as well.

Screenshot_2020-01-24-13-46-27.png

• Like 1

Greentored

Holy crap!  and I was worried about putting that single concrete block on that 20lb brush rake I made. I need to give those cables a little more credit, eh?

• Thanks 1

Pullstart

I’ve been told by the plow veterans that you only go half as deep as the size of the plow...  Normally it’s good to plow in 2nd gear... unless you’re from MN then you go third gear wide open...  @wheelhorseman Lowell and Travis!

• Haha 3