953 nut

Acceleration Valve Springs for Sundstrand?

953 nut

Has anyone found a source for replacement springs for the Sundstrand Acceleration Valves?    We Need to save some otherwise good Hydros.

oliver2-44

Timely question, I sure hope someone finds a replacement! 

I have two tractors with Sundstrand Hydros, and one needs an overhaul and probable a set of springs.

I worked with a spring manufacturer in Katy, Tx a few years ago to have 504 large springs made to refurbish 24,1940 floodgates.  We were lucky in that 500 was the minimum manufacture order for that size spring.

@daveoman1966  If you, or someone has a set of new and worn springs they would loan me, I can contact this manufacturer and see what they could do.  Even a picture and the wire size and number of turns would get me started on an inquiry! 

cafoose

@pfrederi @bcgold any recommendations?

bc.gold
3 hours ago, cafoose said:

@pfrederi @bcgold any recommendations?

The purpose of the acceleration valves is to prevent a much too rapid start in forward and reverse acts as an accumulator when shifted from forward to reverse on rapid succession.

The acceleration springs job is to return the spool back to its unused resting position after the tractor is in motion.

The springs used on he implement charge and relief port are more specific, you'll note the shims in the diagram below labeled as part number (4) used to make corrections to spring tension.

By increasing the number of shims you'll  raise the lifting power of your implement port, when those springs weaken with age you'll hear a squeal as the oil is being by-passed.

What your hearing is spring chatter and valve seat hammering..

Valve adjustments should not be performed blindly, use test gauges.

port.png

Edited by bcgold

953 nut

Here is an exploded view of the parts of a Sundstrand Hydrogear which was used on many :wh: models.

The acceleration valves will modulate the changes in fluid pressure to give smooth operation. When you go from forward to reverse they take a pounding and over time the springs fail. The valve in the exploded view (parts 1 - 8) is located at the front of the Hydrogear and is the reverse acceleration valve. The forward valve is at the back, go figure.   :lol:813594003_Sundstrandvalves.jpg.2046a5773dd2693a85c043e322ad6de2.jpg

•  

bc.gold

I might have springs from a Sundstrand (U) model from a Cadet that I dissembled that I can donate. Will go to shop later and see if I can source them.

pfrederi

Has any one asked LJ Fluid Power?  These are sunstrand parts not WH and may have been used in hydros for other tractor manufacturers.

gt14rider

Talked to LJ a couple of months ago and he said he did not have any or know of a source 

• Thanks 1

bc.gold
12 hours ago, bcgold said:

I might have springs from a Sundstrand (U) model from a Cadet that I dissembled that I can donate. Will go to shop later and see if I can source them.

no luck, must have discarded.

R. L. Addison

I've got hydrogears & possibly extra springs if no one else has any. May have to remove from functional unit I have p[lans for.

• Like 1

953 nut

My goal in starting this thread was to find out if anyone has come up with a part number or reliable source for new springs that will help members here bring their Sundstrands back to life. Hope to find someone who has done this and will share their information.

5 hours ago, R. L. Addison said:

possibly extra springs if no one else has any.

:text-yeahthat:        Very generous of you to offer to share your stash.

• Excellent 1

oliver2-44

@953 nut @daveoman1966  Is this the spring that has been unavailable?  

PartsTree is showing what I think is the Acceleration valve spring (item 14) in the attached parts break down for my c-161 as available $ 22.34.  Part# 103592 (Superseded to 25-2610)

https://www.partstree.com/models/91-16ks01-c-161-toro-lawn-tractor-1979/automatic-transmission-2/

Or is it item 12, Spring part 3 103589, which is unavailable?

953 nut
3 hours ago, oliver2-44 said:

Is this the spring that has been unavailable?

:text-thankyouyellow:              No, we are looking at the older Hydrogear rater than the later model Piston to Piston.

953 nut

UPDATE!

Lowell at Wheel Horse Parts and More has been able to source new Acceleration Valve Springs for Sundstrand Hydrogear transmissions and has priced them very reasonably. Here is a link to the springs.

https://www.wheelhorsepartsandmore.com/transmissions.html#!/TRANSMISSION-ACCELERATION-SPRINGS-2-7052-9215-&-2-7264-9858/p/155147886/category=23548039

:woohoo:

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

R. L. Addison

Here are heavy spring dimensions I came up with:--------------Lite Spring

Length:     1.125 +/-                                                           Length     2 11/64

Coils:        11                                                                      Coils     18

Diameters.                                                                           Diameters

Inner       .140                                                                         Inner     .320

Outer       .275                                                                         Outer     .416

Wire        .070 +/-                                                                    Wire     .049-.050

Both ends ground flat.                                                       Both ends ground flat.

I couldn't figure out photo's, but the heavy spring was broke in 3 pieces.