The Tuul Crib

Husqvarna vs. stihl

The Tuul Crib

Went to my neighbors today to cut this extremely large Sycamore into so I loaded up my farm boss and threw it in the back of the truck. When we got to the tree my neighbor pulls out his stihl  and starts to cut. That didn't last long so I went to get my Huskvarna Farm boss.  By the time he went back to the truck to tighten up his chain I was well over halfway through the tree. I think I sold him on one of the saws!! JMO  can't beat the old husky .  I just wish I had a 24 inch Bar it would have done better!

• Like 1

Sparky

I love my Husky 455 Rancher, 20” bar works fine for anything I’ve ever cut up.

Both Husky and Stihl are good names. I think with proper maintenance (including storing it correctly with no gas or non ethanol fuel) either saw will perform as well as the other. 

• Like 1

JCM

Check out page 15 for more info on this topic.     Thanks

stevebo

I own both but for some reason I have had issues with my Stilh oil passages. My husky is great. I just picked up a very clean older Sthil leaf blower at the flea market today. $40 bucks and runs mint

• Like 1

ACman

:twocents-02cents:... it’s all about your chain . All depends on how it’s sharpened and if the rakers are set right. They’re many types of chains too so do your homework which is best for what you’re doing . Stihl,  Husqvarna , Dolmar all good brands each of which have their problems .

https://www.chainsawsdirect.com/stories/1093-Replacement-Bars-and-Chains-to-Fit-Various-Models.html

The Stihl Ms250 is a occasional use homeowner saw and has been made for years with many complaints (mostly hard starting and oil issues ). It’s 45cc rated at 3bhp with a recommended bar length of 16/18” . Look what happens when you have a bone stock saw with a piltz “hot saw” setup with a 24”bar and chain . Normally a hot saw means ported , decked , higher revving saw . In this case it’s just the bar and chain.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nt9K6ZJfjm4

Edited by ACman

The Tuul Crib
29 minutes ago, ACman said:

:twocents-02cents:... it’s all about your chain . All depends on how it’s sharpened and if the rakers are set right. They’re many types of chains too so do your homework which is best for what you’re doing . Stihl,  Husqvarna , Dolmar all good brands each of which have their problems .

https://www.chainsawsdirect.com/stories/1093-Replacement-Bars-and-Chains-to-Fit-Various-Models.html

The Stihl Ms250 is a occasional use homeowner saw and has been made for years with many complaints (mostly hard starting and oil issues ). It’s 45cc rated at 3bhp with a recommended bar length of 16/18” . Look what happens when you have a bone stock saw with a piltz “hot saw” setup with a 24”bar and chain . Normally a hot saw means ported , decked , higher revving saw . In this case it’s just the bar and chain.

:text-yeahthat:

oldredrider

Many moons ago, I bought a new Stihl. Never liked it from day one. Was actually happy when some sucker stole it!

24 years ago I bought a Husky 36. Still runs like brand new. Took the advice from my brother who was in the tree business and had used every brand out there.

• Like 2

WVHillbilly520H

I'm more of a Dolmar man myself...i have 2 plus my old bought new Wildthing...

IMAG5519.jpg

IMAG3865.jpg

IMAG5517.jpg

• Like 2

The Tuul Crib
3 minutes ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

I'm more of a Dolmar man myself...i have 2 plus my old bought new Wildthing...

IMAG5519.jpg

IMAG3865.jpg

IMAG5517.jpg

Yes it does look very well-built saw how are they in comparison to the price of a Husqvarna.?  Who sells these ?

ACman

I own all Stihl products (the son uses). MS170 16” bar , MS210 18” bar (son lost it out the back of his truck :bitch:) , MS250 20” bar , MS310 24” bar , BG56 blower and FS56 weedwacker. I’ve never had any issues even after sitting. I only use Stihl synthetic oil in them . Maybe just a little biased since dad and grandpa sold them from 1976 until the late 80’s at the dealership. Don’t have any experience with husky’s 2-strokes but I know they’re a good saw . Don’t care what make you have if the chain not sharpened right your throwing dust and not chips and your saw won’t rev .

15 minutes ago, The Tool Crib said:

Yes it does look very well-built saw how are they in comparison to the price of a Husqvarna.?  Who sells these ?

Dolmar is the other German made saw (owned by Makita ) Stihl used to be made in Germany now made in USA . Dolmar is priced competitively with Husqvarna and Stihl. My local Simplicity dealer sells Dolmar as did the True Value hardware.

Edited by ACman
  • Thanks 1

67 WH 877
6 hours ago, ACman said:

Buckin Billy Ray would approve of this message...GET THE GULLET! :handgestures-thumbupright:

WVHillbilly520H
13 hours ago, The Tool Crib said:

Like Jeff @ACman says, German saw (supposedly) the first gas powered way back in early 1900s now owned by Makita I bought both of mine used but so for just chains and bars ... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolmar. John @shallowwatersailor hooked me up with the 5105 he could expose more of the differences or preferences of a Dolmar vs Stihl... All I've ever been around personally have been McCullough,Poulan and Dolmar.

Edited by WVHillbilly520H
  • Like 1

Pullstart

We’re going to plus one for the Husky’s today!  I am cutting up these oak logs (sorry @The Tool Crib) for heat.  The bar is 20”.

5F967D79-175A-4E1C-B962-6F695C42BFED.jpeg

5B177A71-9C70-413D-8B64-8D9FC85E1FB6.jpeg

Pullstart

Time stamped photos 20 minutes apart 👍 

I love my saw.

0A102057-0ECB-4634-BD33-3E7C66BE331D.jpeg

3F569836-89E6-403B-904D-0CCA05F8AF4A.jpeg

• Thanks 1

The Tuul Crib

Sounds like the same saw that I have. When it gets ramped up it'll flat get with it now!  

The Tuul Crib

Did you use one chain for all that? 

Pullstart

346XP, I love it.  One chain, I didn’t even file it from the last time I ran it.  Time to kiss the teeth and shine up that edge.

Also, here’s my plug for Chevrolet trucks too!

DD801D39-4EAD-4885-BAE8-93F7C5B6DBF2.jpeg

• Excellent 3

Stormin

Just drop that load at my place please, Kevin. :thumbs:

• Like 1

The Tuul Crib

At least l still have a fighting chance 

to make a few bowls !!

:ROTF:

• Thanks 1

Pullstart

I decided I’d record myself to see how goofy it looks to load this wood.  I try to use myself to lever the wood up, instead of lifting with my back.  In the long run, I get much more done before a trip to the chiropractor!

• Haha 1

Tractorhead

Time for a quick mounting and light hydraulic lifter with a simple clamp grip.

Like a old reworked Engine Jack or something like this.

Take care of your Back Buddy, trust me..  i sadly know where i‘m talking about.

As long as you‘re young, this seems no Problem, just heavy, but it catches you when you get older.

A Redone wasn‘t possible anyway.

Please take care of you 👍

• Like 1

The Tuul Crib
3 hours ago, pullstart said:

I decided I’d record myself to see how goofy it looks to load this wood.  I try to use myself to lever the wood up, instead of lifting with my back.  In the long run, I get much more done before a trip to the chiropractor!

:text-yeahthat: definitely take care of your back Kevin ! @Tractorhead speaks the truth!

They did look a little dry but save the back!!:naughty:

• Heart 1