PeacemakerJack

“The Mule”- a CC 100

oliver2-44

Great thread @PeacemakerJack You certainly can give people the "Plowing Bug"

As far as the yellow, I like em working in all colors:woohoo:

Setting up a plow tractor is on my build list!  Some tractor clubs around here have plow days for there old full size tractors. They even use have Cubs, Farmall A's, etc, but no GT's.  I just may be the 1st to show up with a GT.   

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

Pullstart

I didn’t use ALL my likes yet today Josh!

Nice rig, hopefully you guys can teach me a thing or two this fall!

Edited by pullstart
  • Like 2

RandyLittrell

@PeacemakerJack thank you for posting that!! Way more than I thought you would do. Some great info there for the guys that aren't into cubs. Your mule is about like I would like to build for myself with a 73 currently on the work bench. 

My son and I have 2 1961 OCC's with consecutive serial numbers. Those were my Dad's and never gonna leave the family. 2 149's, a 100 with rear PTO, 122 puller, 682 and a 784. The 784 is a 782 with dual hydraulics but they never put 784 decals on them. We have the clutch out of one of the OCC's right now and the other is still in process of restoration. 

Randy

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Tractorhead

Real nice Story, 

you‘re doing right !

give the young Generation the embers, not the ashes.

best Part is, if they catch your ember and relight a Fire together with you, for the same interests.

Time with the Family is allway’s the best invest you ever can Do.

👍

• Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Heart 1

squonk

I keep seeing those 5 finger bowling ball weights lately. What are they from and how much do they weigh? 

PeacemakerJack

They are about 40# and are from the 12” wheel Case GT’s.  If you find them for a decent price—BUY THEM! They are super cool looking and go for good money in the Case market. My cousin (an avid Case GT collector) has a bunch of them.  Those that are on the Mule, I got from him.  They are stackable and fit nicely in a deep dish rim.  He runs four in each wheel of his “White Knight” custom Case!

Pullstart
5 hours ago, squonk said:

I keep seeing those 5 finger bowling ball weights lately. What are they from and how much do they weigh? 

5 hours ago, PeacemakerJack said:

They are about 40# and are from the 12” wheel Case GT’s.  If you find them for a decent price—BUY THEM! They are super cool looking and go for good money in the Case market. My cousin (an avid Case GT collector) has a bunch of them.  Those that are on the Mule, I got from him.  They are stackable and fit nicely in a deep dish rim.  He runs four in each wheel of his “White Knight” custom Case!

Pictures of these please?

Pullstart
Just now, pullstart said:

Pictures of these please?

Nevermind, I see them on the mule above!  Yeah, I see the 5 finger bowling ball resemblance!  Are the center holes for lug nut access?

PeacemakerJack

That is a really interesting question Kevin!!! I generally add them to my Wheels after the wheel is installed.  I’ll have to ask my cousin Mike what he usually does.  I think that if you had the standard 5/8” socket, you might fit it in there.  I use the chrome lugs and they require a 13/16” socket and so I don’t know if they would fit.  I’ll check it out and report once I know for sure...

Edited by PeacemakerJack
  • Like 1

PeacemakerJack

Just checked and the 5/8” socket will fit to install and remove the lug bolts to hold the wheel to hub but if you end up installing studs like I have done and chrome lugs, your socket won’t fit.  

8009D4BB-A88F-4485-B42C-99CA82C68764.jpeg.d9eb4892a6df9d5f17364dd6726177ff.jpeg

I never thought of a five fingered bowling ball...but...leave it to Squonk to come up with something like that—now I’ll never think of anything else when I see them!🤣

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

ebinmaine

Awesome story!!

Thanks for sharing!

As you know it was my grampa and his 2 Cubs that sparked my interest originally.

• Like 1

T-Mo

I may add some info on how the IH designer's move from the Original to the 70/100 tractors.  The Original (which, btw, isn't an official name but one that CC guys call it, it was the first Cub Cadet, so CC guys call it the Original) was designed with the frame having the angles pointed down, and then the engine was mounted on top of that.  This made the engine higher than the transmission, so they added a pulley with a small belt so they could run a driveshaft back to the transmission.  The IH guys were determined to have a drive shaft for their L&G tractor.

When it came time to redesign the tractor, they wanted to eliminate the pulley and the belt, so they flipped the frame upside down, and mounted the engine inside the frame.  This allowed the engine to be inline with the transmission, so they could do away with the pulley and the belt and just have a direct drive shaft.  The 70 used the same 7 hp engine as the Original, while the 100 got the 10 hp engine.  In the CC world, the 70 and the 100 are very desirable...to me they just have that "look" about them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

RandyLittrell
On 7/16/2019 at 6:09 AM, T-Mo said:

I may add some info on how the IH designer's move from the Original to the 70/100 tractors.  The Original (which, btw, isn't an official name but one that CC guys call it, it was the first Cub Cadet, so CC guys call it the Original) was designed with the frame having the angles pointed down, and then the engine was mounted on top of that.  This made the engine higher than the transmission, so they added a pulley with a small belt so they could run a driveshaft back to the transmission.  The IH guys were determined to have a drive shaft for their L&G tractor.

When it came time to redesign the tractor, they wanted to eliminate the pulley and the belt, so they flipped the frame upside down, and mounted the engine inside the frame.  This allowed the engine to be inline with the transmission, so they could do away with the pulley and the belt and just have a direct drive shaft.  The 70 used the same 7 hp engine as the Original, while the 100 got the 10 hp engine.  In the CC world, the 70 and the 100 are very desirable...to me they just have that "look" about them.

I little more on that @T-Mo. The original used the F-cub tranny with no gear reduction on the front. The F-cub's gear reduction was on the axles. The OCC had a reduction in the pulley going to the driveshaft. The shaft went into the lower part of the transmission. 

With the 70/100 they added a gear reduction on the front of the trans so they could use a direct shaft and the shaft now goes to the top of the trans. So the motor was a little lower but not too much. 

Randy

PeacemakerJack

Well...Jim’s PD IV is almost here and I managed to break the spirol pin in the drive shaft that retains the clutch spring last winter while blading snow with it.

D9B0727E-DE9B-4B94-A055-E32EFB96CA73.jpeg.0c42852f225af122b7d82673640e71b7.jpeg

Ive been thinking about upgrading the drive line parts with some heavy duty ones from Midwest Super Cub.  

EE4A7953-CD58-4ECB-ADAC-FCC334DB1408.jpeg.44b02097e25d0459681935668a5115ec.jpeg

I guess no better time then now to get with the program...besides even though he’s a :wh: guy, @Rp.wh has a special spot for this little tractor and might want to take a couple of rounds on it!

I need to get it fixed and I’m going to try to make that happen this week🤞🏻

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

PeacemakerJack

So...I finally stuck my head under the Mule last night to find out what was wrong with my clutch.  Turns out it wasn’t a broken/missing spirol pin but rather a broken/missing teaser spring.75512C7E-1FE1-4905-9119-E87B4E5E255F.jpeg.d8bdf4fa5bbe5d33f650057d65e17c31.jpeg

This is a diagram of a heavy duty version of the Cub clutch compliments of Midwest Super Cub.  I am missing that little teaser that is sandwiched between the throwout nearing and the clutch arm.  So...I ordered a new one of those as well as new Kevlar friction disc, pressure plates, and HD clutch spring. That should keep Judge in good shape for a long time

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1

RandyLittrell
On 10/15/2019 at 12:43 PM, PeacemakerJack said:

So...I finally stuck my head under the Mule last night to find out what was wrong with my clutch.  Turns out it wasn’t a broken/missing spirol pin but rather a broken/missing teaser spring.75512C7E-1FE1-4905-9119-E87B4E5E255F.jpeg.d8bdf4fa5bbe5d33f650057d65e17c31.jpeg

This is a diagram of a heavy duty version of the Cub clutch compliments of Midwest Super Cub.  I am missing that little teaser that is sandwiched between the throwout nearing and the clutch arm.  So...I ordered a new one of those as well as new Kevlar friction disc, pressure plates, and HD clutch spring. That should keep Judge in good shape for a long time

Did you get the red spring or the blue one? The red one gets a little tiresome pushing in on the clutch. I bought a blue one but haven't put it on yet. Its supposed to be in between the stock and red spring. 

Randy

Pullstart
On 10/18/2019 at 9:04 AM, RandyLittrell said:

Did you get the red spring or the blue one? The red one gets a little tiresome pushing in on the clutch. I bought a blue one but haven't put it on yet. Its supposed to be in between the stock and red spring. 

Randy

I think this looks red to me...

”The color or the pen that I hold in my hand is RRRRRRRRRRROYAL BLUE!”  Mr. Reid, Liar, Liar

0746119C-4D63-4930-9DEF-D1F409CBD220.jpeg

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

Pullstart

@PeacemakerJack I just realized... if it were to have gone haywire in the shop, the lump on your head would’ve been bigger than the mess on the floor!  

• Haha 2

PeacemakerJack

Classic...I can honestly say that I have taken bigger risks in my years as a “wood chuck”.  However, if that 2x6 would’ve busted, that would have been a big problem.  If the cabinet came off the wall—A MUCH BIGGER PROBLEM!

Speaking of the mess on the floor...I walked in there today and realized that I have no room to hardly move anymore...time to do some serious cleaning and organizing. :chores-mop:

Edited by PeacemakerJack
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart

I don’t know if I should say sorry, or you’re welcome!

• Haha 1

PeacemakerJack
On 10/18/2019 at 8:04 AM, RandyLittrell said:

Randy

I only saw the Red (800#) and yellow (1200#) on their site.  So, I got the red one.  And set it just slightly longer than their recommendation of 4.5”  Thanks to Pullstart for helping me put that thing together at 1am on Saturday!

FB92AE9E-27B3-4A5D-87A0-170538E822A8.jpeg.2dbdc866d1378aee200872548cea5da8.jpeg

Starting point...

26CCB797-6BB7-47FB-828C-03F37EDA8C14.jpeg.d7902f9d8d5a461f20dd0234842dd220.jpeg

40 minutes later.

AAF517D8-ECE0-4724-9409-404F708570DE.jpeg.5dd04f227e070e5bb6727fe138ebc717.jpeg

The high performance clutch parts.

4BC92BDE-5AA6-4CED-A836-72FEF1ED59DC.jpeg.d7a83d27e76c15d6ae83a28a8b09da36.jpeg

Back together and ready for Plow Day! Two 1964 models in one trailer—cool.

The clutch worked great at Plow day but I think the engine is getting a little tired after 5+years of hard use.  Next plan for that is a rebuilt engine and a gear change for the rear end...

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1