NikW

Paps old wheel horse

Mike'sHorseBarn

:WRS:

Does it run and drive? Those are the big things depending on your mechanical skill level. If it runs, does it smoke, knock etc. The transmissions are pretty tough so unless you hear bad noises or see leaks, it should be ok. Check the deck spindles out for excess movement if you are planning on mowing with it. Pics would help a lot if you have them!

oliver2-44

if it has been stored indoors that is a plus. If stored outdoors, check if the rubber boot over the transmission shift is in good shape or torn/rotten, etc.  If the boot is bad, its a price negotiation point, as the transmission at a minimum will need to be flushed to get any water out.  

953 nut

:WRS:

I think it is great that you want your son to grow up with a :wh: as you did!                         :handgestures-thumbupright:

The biggest factor that I would consider is the general condition of the tractor and implements. if they appear to have been abused or neglected then this is not the one. If there is an appearance of a well maintained machine (some records of upkeep would help) then you feel confident about it. Long term ownership would be a plus.

When you find the right one for your son   :wwp:.

• Like 1

Lee1977

There is a very small difference between the B and C series. The C has low range and some of them have lights that the B series doesn't. Look for the best one you can find. If you just have to have a B you then take your time and find a good one. Your going to want more then one Wheel Horse anyway.

Edited by Lee1977
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 2

NikW

I didn’t think of the shifter boot! Good idea! Thank you. Idk if it was ever left outdoors or anything. It’s inside now. It looks a little rough but just needs a good cleaning I think. I notice the mule drive is sitting on the step but I’m not to worried about that.  I was a heavy truck mechanic for about 10 years but I have no experience with working on these wheel horses. I don’t need anything fully restored or anything. A little rough is fine with me.  But I also don’t want one that’s been chopped up or anything.  I’m pretty excited to buy one. Just gotta find the right one. The one I’m looking at tomorrow he’s asking $800 but I’m hoping to talk him down some if he’s willing. Here’s some pics of it and one of me and my pap. A B or C series is fine. Idk exactly what my pap had I’m mostly goin off memory but I remember it being an 8 speed. 

961AEF55-704B-48A2-83CE-1B7DE7C45FA6.png

9C869236-F73F-49A4-857A-F025D31DC4E9.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1
  • Heart 3

The Tuul Crib

:text-welcomeconfetti:to:rs:

it great what your doing and hang on to the memories as long as you can. Keep us 

posted!

• Heart 1

Pullstart

:text-welcomeconfetti: @NikW!  If this isn’t the one for you, how ‘bout you just go ahead and block off the weekend of June 20-23 and come hang out with us in Biglerville PA?  I’m sure you’ll find a few of whatever you need at the Big Show!

• Like 1
  • Excellent 5

Racinbob

In 76 & 77 the B's and C's were identical as far as the frame, transmission and wheelbase. The differences were high back vs low back seats, 13" steering wheel vs 15", 22-7.50 vs 23-8.50 rear tires, headlights standard vs optional. In 78 the B's became lawn mowers and had nothing in common with the C's other than color. :)

• Excellent 1

NikW

I gotta say it seems like there are a lot of nice people on this forum. @pullstart is there a big wheel horse show? Me and my sons would love that! My youngest is due June 10th but my 2 year old Lucas would go crazy at a tractor show. @Racinbob that’s good info. I was wondering because I saw a nice C-101 for a good price. Idk exactly what my pap had if it was a B or a C. An 80 or 100 or 101. He’s  since passed on but I just want something close to his. Must have the original Kohler and an 8 speed. No hydros and no 4 speeds. I’ve got kind of a narrow window but I’m finding a few of them around. Worst part is when ya find a nice one at a nice price but it’s 5 hrs away. I’ll make sure to keep everybody updated. Thanks everybody 

• Like 1

fast88pu
2 hours ago, pullstart said:

:text-welcomeconfetti: @NikW!  If this isn’t the one for you, how ‘bout you just go ahead and block off the weekend of June 20-23 and come hang out with us in Biglerville PA?  I’m sure you’ll find a few of whatever you need at the Big Show!

If you don't buy them all up again this year lol

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

953 nut
52 minutes ago, NikW said:

big wheel horse show? Me and my sons would love that! My youngest is due June 10th but my 2 year old Lucas would go crazy at a tractor show.

Here is a link to the show flyer.

https://img1.wsimg.com/blobby/go/93025b4d-9ff2-4b4a-b1fb-107a88e117a9/downloads/1cvmfdd77_228290.pdf

You could also post on the thread below and see if a member has what you want for sale. People from all over the country will be bringing tractors to sell.

Pullstart
37 minutes ago, fast88pu said:

If you don't buy them all up again this year lol

I didn’t get ALL of them!

@NikW, they like to tease me around here... for some reason... they thought I couldn’t get so much junk in such a small truck!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Heart 2

fast88pu
14 minutes ago, pullstart said:

I didn’t get ALL of them!

@NikW, they like to tease me around here... for some reason... they thought I couldn’t get so much junk in such a small truck!

It was funny and a good time 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
4 hours ago, NikW said:

Idk exactly what my pap had

Nik if that's your pap in the picture above it looks an awful lot like a 1976 or 1977 b100 to me.

Welcome to The forum. Lots of half decent people here. Add up enough of us and you make one or two actual whole decent people.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

953 nut
28 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Lots of half decent people here.

:romance-grouphug: and we generally play well with one-another too!        :confusion-confused:    Well,   generally!   :computer: :ychain:

• Haha 5

NikW

I can not wait for the show!! Me and my little guy will definitely be there! Most likely Saturday. I watched a YouTube video of it. So many unique tractors!  I hope I can meet some of you guys in person there. I love learning about these tractors.  @ebinmaine I was thinking B100 too. That’s what I’m going to look at tomorrow night. Hopefully I bring it home. 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

953 nut
1 hour ago, NikW said:

Me and my little guy will definitely be there! Most likely Saturday.

If you can swing it you should try to come on Friday. About half of us who have long trips home will be on the road by noon on Saturday.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

troutbum70

Looking at the picture all the sheet metal looks pretty strait, but unless there are other implements besides the mower deck. It is a $350.00 to $450.00 dollar tractor if it runs and tranny seems okay and tires are not dry rotted. This is just my opinion which is not worth much, maybe others would disagree.

• Like 2

roadapples

'bout what I was thinking..

• Like 2

NikW

@953 nut we’ll try to make it down Friday if not then real early Saturday. Is the show really from 8:00-3:00? I think that’s what I read. @troutbum63 and @roadapples the tractor comes with a snowblower that doesn’t look the prettiest and a garden plow and a spare 20hp kohler. From what I’ve seen for sale I agree with u on the price but seeing how it comes with these other implements id be willing to go up a little bit. Idk what to make of the spare engine. 

5EA02B32-F77A-4307-8504-346446EC7DF7.png

NikW

D31C023C-AD97-4CF4-8DEB-59A30094A72B.png

NikW

Here’s a closer picture 

NikW

This is the “spare 20 hp kohler” 

EA33B5B2-7C3C-4315-8FEE-D51147FB8930.png

ebinmaine
17 minutes ago, NikW said:

This is the “spare 20 hp kohler” 

EA33B5B2-7C3C-4315-8FEE-D51147FB8930.png

That's a single cylinder engine so it isn't a 20.

Perhaps a typo...