bellevillerod

Commando 8

bellevillerod

Started to tear down my Commando tonight and already see it's gonna be fun to fix. This little tractor runs great no smoke and starts at the touch of the key. The hitch pin decided it liked being where it was and I had to convince it otherwise. The rear axle seals look to have been leaking for some time, so the hubs slid off...but the key's are needing some work. Looks like it will be a fun little job to bring her back. If this is the worst I get it should go pretty fast.

20190319_175623.jpg

20190319_175604.jpg

20190319_175553.jpg

20190319_175532.jpg

• Like 6

gwest_ca

Another ID plate with the ANCO breakaway tab still on the right end of the plate.

Click on the picture to see two more.

Garry

• Like 1

953 nut

Looks like you could use this thread!

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

Achto

43 minutes ago, bellevillerod said:

20190319_175532.jpg

That key way looks pretty ruff.:( Not sure of your skills but here is what I would do with that. Fill the key way by welding it up, turn it down on a lathe to true it back up. Then cut a new full length key way on a mill. I assume that the key way in the hub is not in good shape either, this can be resolved by cutting a new key way 90degrees to the old one and drilling a new set screw hole over that key way.

Pics to show the repairs that I did on my Raider 12.

IMG_20180310_085722398_HDR-min.jpg.d50638cca6079e052adf9c444a353f2c.jpgIMG_20180311_115713927-min.jpg.73fbc7647936a0a3ccdccc932465f74b.jpgIMG_20180403_185436110-min.jpg.0e92ec8bc674222ea3d514df748e602b.jpg

Edited by Achto
  • Like 5
  • Excellent 4

bellevillerod

I was planning on cutting a new key way in the hub. I didn't want to split the trans if I could avoid it. Thinking about trying to make a brass key and welding around it and file/grind it back. If that doesn't turn out I would go your route for sure. I am a Tool Maker and have access to all the equipment that I would need. Will be adding another set screw to each hub also.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 3

WHX??

Just gonna chime in to tell you Rod, Achto just made up a boatload of hitch pins but if you is a tool & die guy we might be coming to you for stuff!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

bellevillerod
8 minutes ago, WHX22 said:

Just gonna chime in to tell you Rod, Achto just made up a boatload of hitch pins but if you is a tool & die guy we might be coming to you for stuff!

Bring it....10 hours of my 12 hour nights are spent doing government jobs anyway. Man that sounds bad when I type it out. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

bellevillerod
53 minutes ago, gwest_ca said:

Another ID plate with the ANCO breakaway tab still on the right end of the plate.

Click on the picture to see two more.

Garry

So what if anything is special about the breakaway tab? At first I just thought it held the tags together and someone missed it in quality control.

WHX??

Good ? for us newbies @gwest_ca

daveoman1966

Ok...not that I'm a toolmaker.... but HOW did you cut the new slot in the cast iron hub????

HUB CUT.jpg

ohiofarmer

The horses i bought that saw snow blade duty had some key ways like that

I am considering using epoxy on the ones that just mow the lawn.  Pam cooking spray the key and then it's still replaceable

Not as good as your fixes by a long shot

Lee1977
1 hour ago, daveoman1966 said:

Ok...not that I'm a toolmaker.... but HOW did you cut the new slot in the cast iron hub????

It's done with a broach and sleeve that fits the hub and press. The broach is pushed through and cuts the key way.

https://www.amazon.com/Accusize-Keyway-Broach-Fitted-5100-0010/dp/B00HK0YG0S/ref=asc_df_B00HK0YG0S/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312743986220&hvpos=1o3&hvnetw=g&hvrand=10978105667729803148&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9009898&hvtargid=pla-493143206796&psc=1

Edited by Lee1977
  • Like 2

daveoman1966

I worked as a bean-counter for a local tool & die shop for 20+ years here in N/W PA and thought I was at least familiar with the cutting tools of the trade.  Thanx for the education....we all get a some every day.  So, I'll stick to the asset DDB depreciation recapture ....stayin' in my lane.  lol

• Haha 4

ebinmaine

@bellevillerod

Nice ride.

I'll be here following...

@daveoman1966 I've called a few places here in Maine and some were high quality reliable shops that didn't know that was a thing either.

Just not on their "Radar screen".

Specialties were in other areas.

gwest_ca
9 hours ago, bellevillerod said:

So what if anything is special about the breakaway tab? At first I just thought it held the tags together and someone missed it in quality control.

That is likely what happened. Often wondered if this is the same Anco that has made wiper blades for nearly 100 years. They would be set up for stamping aluminum.

Just like the plates that have the wrong year stamped into them for the Julian build date. They incorrectly used the model year.

Garry

• Excellent 1

Achto

@daveoman1966 If you don't wish to spend the coin on a broach set @WHX22 is offering service to cut new keyways in hubs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
2 hours ago, Achto said:

@daveoman1966 If you don't wish to spend the coin on a broach set @WHX22 is offering service to cut new keyways in hubs.

That right there is good information Dan. Thank you. Jim, I'll send you a p.m. later.

• Excellent 1

bellevillerod
3 hours ago, gwest_ca said:

That is likely what happened. Often wondered if this is the same Anco that has made wiper blades for nearly 100 years. They would be set up for stamping aluminum.

Just like the plates that have the wrong year stamped into them for the Julian build date. They incorrectly used the model year.

Garry

Kinda what I was thinking when I saw it. My eyes are going with my age and I had to take the pic to blow it up to read it. I was hoping for a "prototype build" or "Special Build" so when I saw what it said, it clicked. Just a malfunction of the machine that printed the tag. But an oddity none the less and if it managed to stay their from 68 til now I'm just going to let it ride. Thanks for the lesson and adding it to the file.  

bellevillerod
7 hours ago, daveoman1966 said:

I worked as a bean-counter for a local tool & die shop for 20+ years here in N/W PA and thought I was at least familiar with the cutting tools of the trade.  Thanx for the education....we all get a some every day.  So, I'll stick to the asset DDB depreciation recapture ....stayin' in my lane.  lol

Well it's not really a tool & die thing, more of a machine repair tool. A lot of gears are bought with a certain tooth count an dia. They have a small through hole of around 1"-1 1/2" . Then we will machine to what ever shaft size and key way is needed. In big manufacturing plants the trades will cross lines to pitch in depending on the skill set needed. I was in the trade for 15 years before I learned how to broach a key way. 

bellevillerod
8 hours ago, ohiofarmer said:

The horses i bought that saw snow blade duty had some key ways like that

I am considering using epoxy on the ones that just mow the lawn.  Pam cooking spray the key and then it's still replaceable

Not as good as your fixes by a long shot

That's funny you said that. This commando was set up for plowing snow in Ohio. From the looks of things it was it's main duty. The mower deck looks like it has seen little use. The hub key way screws were not tight at all. So put the two together and you get the condition that I have. I'm almost leaning towards splitting the trans just to have a look see. For the cost of a gasket seems like the way to go while I have it torn down.

Edited by bellevillerod
  • Like 1

ebinmaine
7 minutes ago, bellevillerod said:

almost leaning towards splitting the trans

if you need any more convincing, consider that if your seals are leaking the cause could very well be that the bearings are loosening up at the end of the shaft.

probably would not be the worst idea in the world to put two new wheel bearings and two new wheel seals in there. You probably already know but you do need to split the trans to get the bearings out.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

bellevillerod
2 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

if you need any more convincing, consider that if your seals are leaking the cause could very well be that the bearings are loosening up at the end of the shaft.

With the help of many of you men here I rebuilt my 6 speed trans on the "1047". So I have an idea what is to come, and it would bug me to no end NOT splitting the trans now. Work smart not hard, do it right once and be done. Now to go find the vid's on my model trans...

• Like 2

Lee1977

Back on the 60's I work for Cannon Mills in Kannapolis NC. They had the machines to make any part for the machines in the mill. I also have a 2 year degree in Manufacturing Engineering Technology so I don't know I don't know where I learned about broaching key ways. 

I broke a bearing in my C-120  that would scream when turning right. I replaced all the bearings in it back before Redsquare . All the bearings from Wheel Horse was around $78 back then.

That was in the late 80's or early 90's.

Edited by Lee1977
  • Like 1

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, bellevillerod said:

it would bug me to no end NOT splitting the trans now. Work smart not hard, do it right once and be done.

That's good to hear. I'm the same way about 99% of the time.

@stevasaurus could probably point you to the correct video right away...

• Thanks 1

stevasaurus

This link is for the #5085 4 speed uni-drive.  You have the #5053 3 speed uni-drive.  The only real difference between these 2 transmissions is the 5058 has the brake drum on the cluster gear shaft, the 5053 has the brake drum on the mushroom gear.  Your #5053 and the #5025 are the same except for the 5053 has longer axles so you can use wider tires.  :occasion-xmas:

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1