ebinmaine

Super inexpensive Tire valve and Tube holding tool

ebinmaine

Folks I found this the other day when I was looking around for a tire valve removal type tool.

It's on clearance on Wally World and I have no idea how long it will be available.

4/8 bucks with free shipping I figured I better share it with you all. I ordered one. Seems to be of reasonably usable quality.

The longer blue handle would really come in handy for not only installing tire valves like it's made for but also holding the tube in place so it can't fall back into the wheel when you're installing them.

I don't know if I'm allowed to post a link so if you want it please PM me. Here's a screenshot so you can use these words to search it on Walmart.com.

Screenshot_20181023-134300.png.2e249d21b2ea13435be76a134df4fe33.png

• Like 4

pfrederi

I am with Jim on this one.

• Like 3

WHNJ701

I bought a similar kit last week off ebay.  I have lots of front tires to do, so I bought the mini tire changer a bunch of tires, new stems for tubeless a couple tubes for the ones that are getting tubed, probably some miller lite and time to have fun...

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

squonk

I've had both tools. Used them many times. I drive down the road now and leave tires to the shop that likes to play with those rubber menaces. :)

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

KC9KAS
5 hours ago, WHX21 said:

Sorry EB, you will not pry this one out of my hands...

I have the same one as you do, and I LOVE it!

• Excellent 1

WHNJ701

just put a 6" tire on the 211-4 tonight those small ones are a real treat to get on

• Like 1

WHX??
6 hours ago, squonk said:

I've had both tools. Used them many times. I drive down the road now and leave tires to the shop that likes to play with those rubber menaces. :)

That's just cause you gettin  to be a sally  In your old age Mike.....:ychain:

• Haha 1

ebinmaine
11 hours ago, squonk said:

5 hours ago, WHX21 said:

I'd have had someone else change the rears but couldn't find a shop anywhere convenient so Trina bought us an HF manual tire changer.

Awesome!!!

• Like 2

squonk
5 hours ago, WHX21 said:

What do you mean "gettin" :).  Been that way all my life. I've worked hard enough now to enjoy watching other people work! :occasion-xmas:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

WHX??
3 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

bought us an HF manual tire changer.

On my Christmas list! :D 

• Excellent 1

elcamino/wheelhorse
5 hours ago, WHX21 said:

On my Christmas list! :D 

Don't get the small tire changer it is a piece of junk. The large one works great.

ebinmaine
5 minutes ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

small tire changer

I just use 2 big levers, heat, muscle, and cursing.

WHX??
9 minutes ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

Don't get the small tire changer

This one Jimbo? I though @Zeek did a write up on this one?? Have to go look for it.

https://www.harborfreight.com/manual-tire-changer-69686.html

Edited by WHX21

elcamino/wheelhorse

That is the one mounts to the floor and handles the 12 rims and tires with out any problems.  I bent the rod the holds the tires on the the small changer ( rod is a piece of threaded rod )  trying to change a 8 inch tire. I am just a old goat of 7 decades so losing my strength.

pfrederi
10 minutes ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

Don't get the small tire changer it is a piece of junk. The large one works great.

I have to disagree with Jim

I have both HF Tools the small and the large.  Have been using the small one for almost 20 years and the big one for about 12. Have bent the bead breaker on the big one.  Not very stout.  Really can't say anything bad about the small one.  kind of messy bit nothing beats it on the front wheels.  use the big one for rear wheels.

I do a lot of tire work 20 WHs 3 farm tractors 2 military vehicles. assorted trailers dollies etc.  Black Locust thorns  i do not go to a tire place.

I would point out i have accumulated a lot of tire tools (Kentool makes good ones)  the two with plastic handles make the small HF changer work even better.  If some one has a better small tire changer than the HF I would love to know about it.

These are some other tools  Oh and i am 69

IMG_0208.JPG

IMG_0209.JPG

ebinmaine
16 minutes ago, WHX21 said:

This one Jimbo? I though @Zeek did a write up on this one?? Have to go look for it.

https://www.harborfreight.com/manual-tire-changer-69686.html

Looks like this is the bigger of the two. This is the one I have I think.

It's a $40 tool. No mistaking that. It's not a $4,000 tool.

The only issue I have had with it is I bent the caller that holds the wheel in place. Not bad enough to render it garbage so I just keep using it.

WHX??

For forty Georges a guy can't hardly lose tho can he?

Here is Zeek's

https://www.wheelhorseforum.com/topic/35634-harbor-freight-mini-tire-changer-eval/

2 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

Oh and i am 69

See @squonk Paul's not a sally... Me thinks Jimbo might be sliding that way tho:ychain::lol:

• Like 1

squonk

I changed tires for over 20 yrs. I had enough of that baloney. Some of those HP tires with the tiny sidewalls were murder. They got tire machines now that do all the work.  I don't even change my own oil anymore on our vehicles. Not worth it. I can spend $30 on filter and oil or pay $45 and not have to crawl on the floor and have to deal with oil disposal and mess. I can drop off my truck and go home and get other things done. Same with tires. Restoring a tractor?  I take the wheels off and bring them down to the guys at the shop. Go home paint some parts. While the paint is drying I go get the bare wheels and give them to the sand blaster. Go home and do more work. Next day I pick up the wheels take them home and paint them. When they are cured I take them back to the tire store and they put on the new skins. An hour or so later they are ready and the tractor is together by now. Bolt them on and done.

• Like 3

elcamino/wheelhorse

@squonk and @WHX21 Sounds like skunky has a lot of money or is lazy :ROTF: 

• Haha 2

WHNJ701

the small HF changer I got for 28 bucks, yes it's cheap Chinese junk but for 28 bucks what do expect.  I really don't feel like paying the shop 10 to 15 bucks per tire with that many to do.  for what I did so far I can't complain I took a bunch of 6 and 8 old tires off easily and started putting new ones back on.  any way you look at it tire jobs suck no matter how you do it

squonk
1 hour ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

@squonk and @WHX21 Sounds like skunky has a lot of money or is lazy :ROTF: 

Don't have a lot of cash and have beaten myself up enough changing tires. It's just not worth it to me. I still have the small HF changer. Sometimes I will remove a tire but I never install one. My shop charges me $5 a wheel and if I buy new tires sometimes they will do one free. Like I said, I have better things to do than fighting tires.

pfrederi

Tire shop is a 20 mile one way drive  and tehy do not do it while you wait.  besides they aren't open on weekends..when i get flats...

Edit I also have to do lock rings which most tire stores will no touch anymore..Even did a true split rim a few year ago..that was exciting...blew off the first time...

Edited by pfrederi

Zeek
On 10/24/2018 at 7:11 PM, squonk said:

Don't have a lot of cash and have beaten myself up enough changing tires. It's just not worth it to me. I still have the small HF changer. Sometimes I will remove a tire but I never install one. My shop charges me $5 a wheel and if I buy new tires sometimes they will do one free. Like I said, I have better things to do than fighting tires.

I can't say I disagree, even with the HF changer. Tires are a major PIA to mess with and although I haven't done any lately, I will likely drop them off as well if the price is fair.