PeacemakerJack

Let’s Go Plowing—rolling Dirt!

PeacemakerJack

No better place than among friends, fellow enthusiasts, and guys who are still learning themselves—note my last several entries in this thread to bear out this fact!  

COME ON UP!:auto-rally:

• Excellent 1

Pullstart
1 hour ago, cschannuth said:

Thanks. i would love too. I have a lot to learn about proper plow set up. 

No better time or place to hone the skills!

”We can’t burn gas standing around!” - Uncle Jim

• Haha 2

cschannuth
1 hour ago, PeacemakerJack said:

No better place than among friends, fellow enthusiasts, and guys who are still learning themselves—note my last several entries in this thread to bear out this fact!  

I guess I should know this but when and where is it exactly? 

WHX??
13 hours ago, PeacemakerJack said:

Poppycock ... let it be known that Jack's birthday is 10/21 and it just so happened in '17 his b day was on plow day. That said we had a bit of a b day party for him and he got lots of cool presents including a real nice :wh: collector/restorer banner that @stevasaurus got him!

Now all that said fellas me thinks Jack is fishing for more plowers in hopes he gets more cool :wh: presents! I'm hip to your gig Josh! :ychain:20171021_102655.jpg.83997f9f6d04aac6a504f4dcf7d8a830.jpg

20171021_102158.jpg

The original RS plow gang .... pretty rough crowd! :D

Edited by WHX24
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 2
  • Heart 1

WHX??

Right here Craig @cschannuth

• Like 2

PeacemakerJack

27 minutes ago, WHX24 said:

Poppycock ... let it be known that Jack's birthday is 10/21 and it just so happened in '17 his b day was on plow day. That said we had a bit of a b day party for him and he got lots of cool presents including a real nice :wh: collector/restorer banner that @stevasaurus got him!

Which now resides in dad’s horse barn next to the tractor that caused me to search out this forum...

CDD157CB-F593-4470-A81A-FE3D128DCE71.jpeg.16b40263d24b05e9e7bb23f32afa1cea.jpeg

30 minutes ago, WHX24 said:

Now all that said fellas me thinks Jack is fishing for more plowers in hopes he gets more cool :wh: presents! I'm hip to your gig Josh! :ychain:20171021_102655.jpg.83997f9f6d04aac6a504f4dcf7d8a830.jpg

You figured out my shenanigans Uncle Jim!!!😂. Actually, what could be a better birthday present annually than to spend time with my family and friends doing one of my favorite hobbies—turning earth!  So far, the classic present dolled out at JC PD was Tom and Mikes gift to Caleb last year so that he wouldn’t miss another plow day😉

• Excellent 3
  • Heart 2

WHX??

My fav vid! :greetings-clappingyellow:

• Thanks 3

Pullstart
3 minutes ago, WHX24 said:

My fav vid! :greetings-clappingyellow:

Soon as Dan quit yakkin about tractors :ychain:

• Haha 3

cschannuth
1 hour ago, WHX24 said:

Right here Craig @cschannuth

Unfortunately I have a wedding in the family this year myself at that time. I’d really like to spend some time with folks who know what they’re doing. I plow a couple of gardens for folks and I fumble through it but I think they put up with me because they know I like doing it more than I am really helping them turn their ground over, ha ha.

• Haha 4

Greentored

Dont count me out of the upcoming plow days fellas!! My annual upstate NY bow hunting trip not looking good, I haven’t had a week off in a year, and I’ve been known to get a wild hair.....
Picked up political promises (a load of horse s**t!) from my sisters stables and turned it into the garden today. Finally getting this clay loosened up, and ol Hoss is diggin deep! 
Yep, my sister has a stable full of horses too, but hers are all 1.0 horsepower and run on grain n hay. 

82526746-D883-454F-A159-507599D5671A.jpeg

5BD089AB-ED77-400D-B70F-B25A655DADB8.jpeg

668A0CFC-0CF9-4375-BC12-997BE7941F38.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 3

prondzy

Just posted in transmissions section my new found carnage from Jims plowday 2019

@PeacemakerJack @WHX24 @Achto @stevasaurus @Shynon

Too much torque in them horses she threw a shoe of sorts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Shynon
9 hours ago, prondzy said:

Just posted in transmissions section my new found carnage from Jims plowday 2019

@PeacemakerJack @WHX24 @Achto @stevasaurus @Shynon

Too much torque in them horses she threw a shoe of sorts.

I was thinking you blew a nut :ROTF:

• Haha 3

PeacemakerJack

Thanks for the great pics and the textbook plowing...exactly what this thread was started for in the first place.  Looks like you guys had a blast and I’m glad to see that Joel is getting his Simplicity dialed in. We’re making a plow dog out of him too👍🏻

Hopefully Jason is able to get his 12” squared away soon.  Nothing like having your plow shoving you around all day...kinda takes the fun out of it😡

• Like 2

WHX??

Where was my invite!?!? Musta been for that rough lookin Red Rock gang only! :lol:

• Haha 5

Achto
31 minutes ago, WHX24 said:

Where was my invite!?!? Musta been for that rough lookin Red Rock gang only! 

Sorry, was a last minute thing & not much ground to scratch. Might be able to get a crew together at his farm in the spring for about 10+ acres.

• Like 2

Razorback

Looks like a FINE bunch to me!!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

WHX??
2 hours ago, Razorback said:

Looks like a FINE bunch of hoodlums & ruffians to me!!!!

:laughing-rolling:

• Haha 3

PeacemakerJack

As Dan noted above, the right soil conditions result in really great GT plowing.  Without good soil conditions, GT plowing turns out to be frustrating, discouraging, upsetting, and ultimately game ending.  

So...every once in awhile, we plow dogs score perfect or near perfect soil and for that moment in time we turn that earth for all we are worth.  A couple of weeks ago, Caleb and I scored conditions like that at a plow day in Polo, IL.  I took this video of Caleb just loving the life of a Plow Dog

It was soybean ground with a good mix of sandy loan and black soil for a scrub shine on the plows that is hard to explain.  

Ironically, I would take that exact setup 6 days later to JC plow day and in a soggy corn field struggled with it spinning out, plugging up, and chisel pointing.  

What’s my point? Much like a surfer who finds and rides the “perfect wave”, the plow dog doesn’t get the perfect field every time, but when he does—IT SURE IS FUN!!!

• Excellent 3
  • Heart 2

SylvanLakeWH
On 9/23/2020 at 7:41 PM, WHX24 said:

& a couple of blackhoods just for the halibut! :lol:

Excuse me sir, but that’s “Black Hoods”... with a capital B and a capital H...:naughty:

And while you can certainly tuna Black Hood, you can’t halibut a fish... :ROTF:

• Haha 2

Greentored
On 10/26/2020 at 9:09 PM, PeacemakerJack said:

As Dan noted above, the right soil conditions result in really great GT plowing.  Without good soil conditions, GT plowing turns out to be frustrating, discouraging, upsetting, and ultimately game ending.  

So...every once in awhile, we plow dogs score perfect or near perfect soil and for that moment in time we turn that earth for all we are worth.  A couple of weeks ago, Caleb and I scored conditions like that at a plow day in Polo, IL.  I took this video of Caleb just loving the life of a Plow Dog

It was soybean ground with a good mix of sandy loan and black soil for a scrub shine on the plows that is hard to explain.  

Ironically, I would take that exact setup 6 days later to JC plow day and in a soggy corn field struggled with it spinning out, plugging up, and chisel pointing.  

What’s my point? Much like a surfer who finds and rides the “perfect wave”, the plow dog doesn’t get the perfect field every time, but when he does—IT SURE IS FUN!!!

Man, what I wouldn't give to have that 'up north' soil down here in NC! Ol Hoss would be a lot happier and could show off a lot easier yanking the plow through that ha.

• Like 2

PeacemakerJack

:text-yeahthat:One of these days, you’ll make it up here to go plowing in this soil.  I wish I could say that it is all this good but there is a lot of variance in it—sometimes within one 20 acre field.  As was stated on the first page or so of this thread, moisture conditions make a huge difference in a soils ability to be plowed with a GT.

Another thing that we found out this last weekend is that corn ground doesn’t make for good plowing. This was the first time I had ever plowed corn ground with a GT and it was a lot more difficult than I would’ve thought.  One thing you notice about corn stubble is the root balls.  It is almost like digging up thousands of small trees.  If you catch one of those just “right”, the roots will part on both sides of the main beam and you will have an instant plug up as it prevents any more soil from rolling over the moldboard.  The soil by Jim’s is very sandy which was good because if it had been clay, we wouldn’t have been able to plow since it would’ve been like concrete after rain on it all summer.  If it would’ve been black soil, the 6” of rain right before plow day would’ve made it so sticky and gooey that the average tractor wouldn’t have went 10’ before the tires were loaded with sticky mud and then stuck!  Although the corn trash isn’t as intrusive as stringy bean trash, it still can plug up the operation quickly.  My uncles have been telling me for years not to try corn ground with a GT...I see why now!

I know there are guys that plow corn ground for the big plow days.  However, if you are looking for the best plowing, look for bean ground or better yet, wheat ground for an optimal experience.

I hope @prondzy checks in here to explain his take on striking out in a corn field vs others that he has done in the past...

Edited by PeacemakerJack
  • Like 1

prondzy

@PeacemakerJack yes corn ground is beyond enjoyable to plow,  if you dont hit hit a rootball they steer your tractor like a boat rudder. @WHX24 if you pick cornfield again let me know in advance ill bring more captain and a cruiser tractor instead!

• Haha 3

WHX??

Lol going to try and talk the guy into beans next year. We would have had better luck if we didn't have all that rain right before. When your beggars for plow ground you can't be choosey tho. :) Also since the corn came off somewhat early the root balls did not have time rot and dry out. I think we did fairly well given the conditions, even in the areas we did not chop stalks. I noticed alot of guys hopping off and clearing the field trash which there was plenty of. I just let it ball up and eventually it fell off . 

Dan and I plowed a corn field at a show once and they had green chopped the corn for silage. We were almost following the chopper and fairly hard clayish soil but made for some very good plowing. 

Edited by WHX24
  • Like 2

Streetrodchev

Bringing back an old thread. 
A lot of great info in here. 

I have been to J & C plow day the last couple years, many great plowing setups. 

My main plow tractor isn’t a WH (it is green), but hope to be at the next one with my recently acquired Suburban 550 and make a round or two. 

IMG_4111.jpeg

• Excellent 2