CasualObserver

My new shop

pfrederi

The radiant heat will be nice but right now I really appreciate the A/C in part of my shop.  Any big projects are on hold as they are to big to fit in the A/C section. You thinking of adding A/C after all it is getting hotter out...???

• Like 1

CasualObserver

A/C might be an addition down the road, but at the moment I haven't got any plans for it. With doors and windows on all sides I am getting pretty good breezes through there right now. But who knows.... after I start actually spending some summer time in there working I may change my mind and bump that up the priority list!

prondzy

Awesome Jason!

• Thanks 1

wh500special

Congrats on the wonderful shop space!

I’m very happy for you!  And your girls learned some skills too.  

It really looks great matching the house.  And I’m sure the neighbors appreciate how neat and tidy it sits next to the house.  

A friend put radiant floor heat in his building when he built it.   He loves it and has no complaints after at least 10 years.  I think he keeps it set around 50 F in the winter so he can be comfortable but not spend a fortune.  He bumps the temp sometimes with a portable heater when he needs to and says it’s a great compromise between budget at comfort.  Mostly just if he’s painting or something that needs more warmth.  

Geez, at 50 degrees there will be nights in your area that there could be 90 degrees between inside and outside.   Yikes.  

I never minded a cold garage shop that I’d heat with portable salamanders, but the condensate on the cold tools from the combustion products was a bummer.   I always loved the thought of steady, even, silent radiant heat.  

Can’t imagine needing AC in Minnesota 😏. Even way down south in Rochester. 

The worst part about moving back into town for me was the lack of a separate shop space.   Not in the cards in my neighborhood on this lot, but I did talk my wife into letting me take over a big chunk of the basement for my woodworking stuff.   Maybe someday when the kids are no longer reaping the benefits of being in a great school district we’ll move back out of town and I’ll start over.  

I would imagine that shop built exactly the way you did it really adds value to the house.  So many people have space-intensive hobbies these days and that shop really is sized nice for things like a boat, motor cycle, jet ski, etc.  bigger could would limit appeal to many normal families and smaller would be too limiting.  It’s a Goldilocks garage.  

nice work!

Steve

Edited by wh500special
sloppy proofreading
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

WHX??
11 hours ago, CasualObserver said:

Yep... I know, and just like my marriage... I won't have cold feet! :lol:

Seriously though, I received lots of opinions on this, and it truly was a 50/50 split. What it came down to is I know that I want it because I want to be able to go in my shop at the drop of a hat in the dead of winter if I feel like it.

Agreed Jason....Therin lies the problem, say you are just idling the floor or space at say 40 or 50 deg. but want to go out and putz for a couple hours after work and crank it up to 60. Forget it, by the time it even gets close to comfy it will be bed time. On the other hand say the kids are off at the friends for the weekend , mommas got plans and you got the whole weekend to putz, crank it up Friday nite and enjoy laying on that floor the whole weekend looking up at the underside of a :wh: to find out where that pesky leak is. i'm sure this was all part of that 50/50 split but exactly what I tell my customers .. you can't put it in later. 

I pretty much do the same thing with my gas forced air on week nites and then shift to wood fire on the weekends where I am sweating in a t shirt and it's -20 out. With gas forced air my shop is 65 in a matter of 15 minutes from a balmy 35 deg. at any outside temp. My shop idles at 35 deg. regardless...just enough to keep water, paints, beverages etc from freezing. Awful handy for thawing out the snow blower when she throws a bearing.

So it's a learning curve...till propane, like I have, spikes up to 90 bucks a gallon (exageration yes but you get my drift). Then it's good to have the wood lot stocked and a whole new curve ready.

Yes you can put in antifreeze in Sparkeye but I call it a neccesary evil.... even the smallest leak out of the system will quicky corrode pumps, valves and fittings. Often times even when there is no leak.

Insulation in a building such as this is a key factor but not nowhere as key as infiltration, keeping those overhead doors sealed up, unless you like paying gas bills,  is a biggy especially as the structure ages.Weather stripping between the panels and wind restistant energy star panel hinges, yes there is such a thing! :)

BTW @CasualObserver ther are two types of floors in buildings like this, concrete that isn't cracked and concrete that is gonna crack! :lol:

• Like 2

Pullstart

Looks great, Jason!  Working the rebates is a great way to get a project done, but I normally fall victim to the convenience of Home Depot being about a mile down the road from gymnastics where we are 3 days a week, whereas Menards is 20 ish miles in either direction.

I really wish my garage had windows, some day if I redo the interior walls and insulate more, I might pop a few in.  Thanks for sharing!

• Thanks 1

shallowwatersailor
1 hour ago, pullstart said:

Looks great, Jason!  Working the rebates is a great way to get a project done, but I normally fall victim to the convenience of Home Depot being about a mile down the road from gymnastics where we are 3 days a week, whereas Menards is 20 ish miles in either direction.

Living in the Midwest until 9 years ago, I preferred shopping at Menards over the other two High Rack stores. Their tandem pups making store deliveries were always visible on the road. I got all excited on this past Sunday when I spotted a Menards semi rolling Northbound on I-81 in Winchester, VA. Just checked the store locator and my nearest store is still Lancaster, OH - a short 231 miles away!  Oh well.

I will give Lowes huge kudos for their Military discount! Saved a ton of money this past year with the old and new house.

Edited by shallowwatersailor
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1

CasualObserver
11 hours ago, WHX20 said:

BTW @CasualObserver ther are two types of floors in buildings like this, concrete that isn't cracked and concrete that is gonna crack! :lol:

Right?! :D Found my first crack over by the edge while doing the floor coating.I just don't know if it was there before the diamond grinding or after. :scratchead: 

2 hours ago, pullstart said:

I really wish my garage had windows, some day if I redo the interior walls and insulate more, I might pop a few in.

I'm glad I added them too... although it is making it more challenging to arrange the wall shelving to keep good access to them. I'll post up a couple pictures after I get some shelving redone and moved around.

12 hours ago, wh500special said:

And your girls learned some skills too.  

I'm a firm believer in teaching my girls life skills like this... (painting, landscaping, etc...), and my wife is totally supportive as well.

Geez, at 50 degrees there will be nights in your area that there could be 90 degrees between inside and outside.   Yikes

Sadly... yes, that's pretty close.

It’s a Goldilocks garage.

Thanks Steve, I like to think so. Lots of time and thought is going into making it "just right" :lol: 

• Like 2

82Caddy

Bump this up since I'm curious how you like the radiant floor over the past winter and if you've added any other finishing touches to the interior.

• Like 1

Zeek

Very nice shop and surrounding landscaping! Heated floor is awesome! I wish I had that when I lived in the northeast :angry-fire:

Curious as to what the vapor barrier purpose is on an above-grade installation. I only ask because that wasn't done in PA for moisture trap reasons when the exterior is temp varies greatly from the interior :think: But then again, things change and requirements are updated. Looks very nice with your house :handgestures-thumbsup:

• Like 2

CasualObserver

On 11/26/2019 at 4:09 PM, 82Caddy said:

Bump this up since I'm curious how you like the radiant floor over the past winter and if you've added any other finishing touches to the interior.

Hey Reid.... not really any other finishing touches yet, but I did get the radiant hooked up and love it! I have fully insulated 2x6 walls and the outside half of the ceiling is done at R49. My truss bottom chords are 2x6 as well so under the attic floor I could do R21. We've had some cold nights already, and it has been good. Cant wait to spend some quality time in there this winter!

20191014_193624.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

CasualObserver
On 11/26/2019 at 8:15 PM, Zeek said:

Very nice shop and surrounding landscaping! Heated floor is awesome! I wish I had that when I lived in the northeast :angry-fire:

Curious as to what the vapor barrier purpose is on an above-grade installation. I only ask because that wasn't done in PA for moisture trap reasons when the exterior is temp varies greatly from the interior :think: But then again, things change and requirements are updated. Looks very nice with your house :handgestures-thumbsup:

Hey Zeek! I'm actually in your part of the country right now, and hard to be headed back to MN today!

As for the vapor barrier,  pretty common here to keep moisture from coming through the concrete. When we added a stall at our old house they put barrier on the new half, and it was a significant difference in the spring sweat from the original stall to the new. As for any code reasonings... couldn't tell you... just common here.

82Caddy

Awesome!  Glad to hear you're enjoying the radiant floors.  I'm trying to sort out what to do for shop heating at the new place and radiant is at the top of the list.

WHX??

Looks like you went whole hog on the boiler Jason. I have been using tankless water heaters for projects like this with excellent results. Helps keep the ouch down abit on cost from a regular boiler.

Edited by WHX24

WHX??
1 hour ago, 82Caddy said:

radiant is at the top of the list.

If I was to do a smaller garage like this I would probably opt for a garage heater Like @prondzy, and @Shynon and I have but you can bet your bottom dollar the tubing would be in and ready to connect to. Money not a object do the in-floor right away. 

82Caddy
3 minutes ago, WHX24 said:

If I was to do a smaller garage like this I would probably opt for a garage heater Like @prondzy, and @Shynon and I have but you can bet your bottom dollar the tubing would be in and ready to connect to. Money not a object do the in-floor right away. 

I had an overhead tube heater in my old 24x30ish  shop.  It was great for getting the place warm, but with the projected 36x56 and 13ft interior walls I'm not sure what the best option is.

WHX??

Tubes are ok but servicing them can be a pain. I never used them on LP gas, too many sooting problems if things weren't spot on. They can also be prone to rusting through the tubes & vent connectors when run in a colder shop. Nowadays they have tubes with coated insides to prevent this but more $$. Nice thing about tubes is they are easily direct vented. They were very popular a few years ago but have since kinda fell out of favor in a residential situation. 

What kind of construction Caddy? Stick build,  pole frame, other type? Not so much the square footage in  36/56 but with 13 ft side walls quite a bit of volume. Another consideration Caddy is what else will you be doing in the shop? Any wood working? 

82Caddy
1 minute ago, WHX24 said:

Tubes are ok but servicing them can be a pain. I never used them on LP gas, too many sooting problems if things weren't spot on. They can also be prone to rusting through the tubes & vent connectors when run in a colder shop. Nowadays they have tubes with coated insides to prevent this but more $$. Nice thing about tubes is they are easily direct vented. They were very popular a few years ago but have since kinda fell out of favor in a residential situation. 

What kind of construction Caddy? Stick build,  pole frame, other type? Not so much the square footage in  36/56 but with 13 ft side walls quite a bit of volume. Another consideration Caddy is what else will you be doing in the shop? Any wood working? 

Likely a pole building.  36x36 automotive/tractor/metal fab stuff and then 20x36 as a dedicated wood working space to contain the dirt and dust to that side, building will be split between the two spaces with a wall eventually.    I'm considering going with a shorter wall for the smaller space but I'm afraid if I ever change my plans for the building and just want to use it as a storage building I'm limiting myself in that space.  I'm a few years out from building anything so plenty of time to figure out what to do.  Plus it gives me something to research about.

• Like 1

ohiofarmer

They are never big enough. I have a 44X80