mmmmmdonuts

Shed door

mmmmmdonuts

I have approximately an 10x12 lean to shed attached to my house on the side of my side loading garage. I currently have a double door that is 6' wide by 6x10" high. The problem I am having is the door starting to fall apart. It is also framed very heavily with 2x6s. So I am currently looking to either do another double door or a garage door. Part of the reason the door is getting damaged in the first place is because water pools at the bottom of the door in the winter and freezes and I have to basically heat and or chisel the ice away. It is where I store my snowblower. 

My wife ruled out a sliding barn door and a roll up door mainly for appearance purposes.

I was starting to lean to a 8w x7h regular garage door but see a few cons. 

1) It would block the light when up. 

2) I would lose quite of bit overhead storage and about 2 feet of wall space.

3) There would be much more work reframing parts of the wall to fit the door.

Pros.

1) I could fit my wheel horse plow and snowblower side by side. 

2) Shouldn't freeze to the concrete as easily with a rubber seal. 

3) Don't have to shovel out the doors to get the snowblower out. 

I was wondering what thoughts you guys had on and if I am missing something.

Thanks. 

ebinmaine

As long as you have enough overhead clearance to mount a roll-up that would be a great way to go.

But .... They WILL stick in the ice on the ground.

Happens at work.... Often.

ebinmaine

Also....

A question for thought....

Do you shovel out the area in front of the door anyways?

Or are you looking to use the snowblower to do that instead of your man power?

• Like 1

SylvanLakeWH

I would do a roll up with a design that meets the boss’s aesthetic tastes...

Maybe address the water ponding issue at same time with grade adjustments or French / trench drain? I had similar issue on side of my garage - dug a 3’ deep trench filled with pea gravel and issue went away...

:twocents-02cents:

• Like 3

rjg854

How about an overhead door that folds in half when its up. You could actually build one out of plywood, so the same opening can be used. 

• Like 1

mmmmmdonuts

Part of my issue with the water is there is concrete that extends about 4" past the shed. (The whole floor is concrete) 

Then there is a small concrete pad about 2" below the door. I am not sure how to get rid of the water that just sits there and doesn't drain. 

I will look into the folding garage door. That seems intriguing. 

I would prefer to just go and use the snowblower or plow rather than shovel but even in the biggest storms it's not to bad to hand shovel a few feet. 

Pullstart

Pictures would do us bench racers a heap of good to understand the pooling issue.  I imagine improving drainage some how could be done, but not knowing the lay of the land there might be a totally obvious reason it doesn’t work.  It seems there are solid doors that hinge up and out to where maybe only 30% of the door folds into the garage and the rest becomes an overhang?  Is that an option?

• Like 2

bc.gold

install heat tape in the next door you build.

• Like 1

Achto

Maybe you could look into building a set of air plane hanger style doors. The door actually folds to outside of the building instead of taking up any room on the inside. Could be clad on the out side any way you wish. Plus they offer up a nice awning while they're open for a shady spot to relax on those hot summer days.:)   "Another selling point for the misses" :thumbs2:

price-schweiss-bifold-doors.png.ca7f42318e99b6cd442384a106af2408.png

Edited by Achto
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

mmmmmdonuts

Those are great ideas. I never thought of some of those hanger doors or a folding garage door. Those would most likely work. Just got to look into the cost and options a little more in depth. 

Here are some quick pictures. My wife wants to make sure it "matches" or looks clean with the door next to it. I tried to show how the concrete and different layers work. 

Resizer_158383908938710.jpg.e01f7a347b9325a23ac57e04a3c6bdf2.jpg

Resizer_15838390893877.jpg.a6a798123764830442b8d8bd45f921a0.jpg

Resizer_15838390893874.jpg.416da08b1cc20be400c648105b5859d7.jpg

Resizer_15838390893876.jpg.45f8bbe21a95cdaf42e4b08417422739.jpg

Pullstart

It looks like there is ample room around the concrete pad to add drain tile, or as mentioned even pea gravel to assist drainage efforts.  I’d run the tile from between the two slabs around the front of the small one then past the garage to the right to start.

76EFFBF7-910A-44E8-93C6-F5191BABD2AB.jpeg

Edited by pullstart
Pic
  • Like 2

SylvanLakeWH

In addition to what @pullstart suggested, you could mud jack the slab to raise one side of the slab up to meet the garage floor, leaving the other side where it is. This will tip the slab away from the garage and move the water away...

My Dad did this on 25’ of sidewalk 4 years ago to address settlement and it is still perfect. No settling. He paid about $250...

Just a thought...

• Like 2

CCW
7 hours ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

In addition to what @pullstart suggested, you could mud jack the slab to raise one side of the slab up to meet the garage floor, leaving the other side where it is. This will tip the slab away from the garage and move the water away...

This is a great idea to deal with the water.  I would also go with the same double door, but raise the bottom up 1 3/4 inches.  Under the door I would add a pressure treated 2x6 to raise the entrance.  Tractor then would have to drive over this new threshold, but that would not be a problem.  Door bottom would now be above any standing water.  The extra height would also give you the ability to add a bit of flashing to keep water from seeping between door and threshold. 

Edit #1 - Heavy layer of caulking under the new 2 x 6 threshold to prevent water from seeping under it.

Edit #2 - If needed the 2 x 6 threshold could have a front and back taper cut length wise to allow easier rolling.  Would probably keep 1/2 inch square lip edge on the bottom of both sides.

Edit #3 - I foresee one problem with this solution.  If you use a mower deck will it clear a 2 x 6 threshold. Might need a bit of test or additional ramping.

Threshold.jpg

Edited by CCW
  • Like 4

mmmmmdonuts

Thanks for the suggestion. I love the threshold idea. I definitely think that would work and could definitely solve my problem. I have done aluminum ones in the past with a lot of success. I have also thought of doing it with concrete possibly as well to make a smoother ramp. Something like this. It keeps it lower and not as tall so I don't snag on mower decks etc. I have had a problem because of the lip from one piece of concrete to the other and was debating on doing an elongated ramp almost. 

https://www.hartfordbuildingproducts.com/products/1-2-x-6-ada-compliant-saddle-threshold-mill-finish?variant=52671615499&currency=USD&utm_campaign=gs-2018-10-24&utm_source=google&utm_medium=smart_campaign&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9-Oc7_iQ6AIVB4bICh3F8QV5EAQYCCABEgKQvfD_BwE

CCW

If I had the funds and building a shed it would definitely be something I would look at.

mmmmmdonuts
10 minutes ago, gwest_ca said:

I would love a roll up door. My wife doesn't like the look of it because it doesn't match the other door or blend into the siding. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• CasualObserver
      By CasualObserver
      I've been dreaming of a new shop space to work on tractors and generally store things at my house. We already had a three car garage on the house and could only fit one vehicle in it due to the large space that kids toys, bikes, zero turn mower, shelving and a workbench already occupied. Well.. that stuff and a few or so little garden tractors... but they don't take up that much space, right?   Anyway...  we'd been talking about building my dream shop for several years. We live on a large in-town parcel, so there's plenty of room, but as with most things, it comes down to when it can fit in the budget. I drew it up several times on the building designer at Menards dreaming of when we could go forward. Well, in the early 2017 we decided to go ahead with it, and I came up with my final layout plan.

We proceeded under the option of build the shell, and finish what we can later. We went over and over the list of things to do now and later. Things I wanted that had to be done now for sure were the rough in for the in-floor heat and the attic trusses. I had a contractor friend who would GC and frame it for me if I bought all the materials and he could do it on his own schedule. Yep, done. I figure I could have built it myself, but it would have taken most of the summer of every night and weekend, as well as the headaches of arranging the subs for the stuff I couldn't do, but if he could do it, and he has all the contacts/subs already... I'm money and time ahead to work some extra overtime and avoid the headaches.

The previous owners of our place had a gravel RV parking next to the house. The old poorly done timber walls were deteriorating and leaning with age.It was convenient for parking the trailer, and nice when the kids were little that we could park off the driveway so they could play, but every year inevitably it was always a weedy mess by mid-summer.

Step one, remove ugly timber wall.  Lucky for me my neighbor had an chainsaw with a garbage blade on it. He came over and we were able to cut the wall into 12 ft sections that we loaded on the trailer for the dump.

Next, met with our contractor friend to stake and mark it out. Since part of the goal was to reduce the amount of gravel, the equivalence of one car parking space was being removed and returned to grass on the left edge.

Then just before the excavator was to start work, the kids and I did a little groundbreaking for the big project.

Some gravel removed and sand base laid down and compacted.

Concrete guys laid the forms for me on a Friday night so I could lay the insulation and pex for the in-floor heat.

Like any kids, the call of the sand pile was irresistible.

Next day I had help to lay the insulation boards and pex. Might seem silly to see two people carrying these boards that weigh all of 2 lbs each... but notice all the pavers? I'd been hoping for good weather to do the insulation and pex..... what I got was great temperature, bright, sunny......and 25 mph sustained winds with 40-50 mph gusts. So.... two guys to carry each flippin' board and weight it down. Ugh.... made the process much longer.

Got the pex down, which went very smoothly. Three zones, stapled to the foam board.

Monday morning I get a call.... inspector won't pass it because there's no pressure test on the pex. Ugh. Nothing about that in our building code, but what am I going to do? Project can't go on without his initials. So... I build a pressure manifold, tie all three zones into one long line and charge it up.  Tues morning, concrete guys are onsite... inspector shows up and says ok.

By the time I get home from work, I have a new slab.  

Lumber pack shows up the day before the family and I are leaving for a week at the cabin. When I pulled out of driveway, construction was underway. We got a few progress pics through the weeks from various friends.

And I returned a week later to this.  Totally the best way to build a shop!  I was out of his way, he was out of mine... worked out perfectly.

I installed the overhead doors, had the electrician come and trench the electric over. Got the gas line roughed in for the boiler as well while the trench was open.

After that, the excavator came back with the final top dress for final grading.  

We bit the bullet and decided to go with sod right away. Even got the kids to help for a little while. Couple of neighbors (one of whom happens to be a professional landscaper) came over the chip in too, and three pallets later....

Now we're at slow progress time. I bought all the construction materials on a Menards 11% rebate, so once I got the rebate check I started to finish the interior. Got the vapor barrier up, and ceiling rocked with 12 foot 5/8" type x. 105 lbs each. Ugh. Thank God for drywall lifts, right!?

More rebate checks allowed for the insulation and rock for the walls.

Then we came to a complete standstill..... got enough stuff moved out of the house garage to get both the car and truck in for the winter, but with no heat and no ceiling insulation the shop was just a big storage box for winter.

Spring this year rolled around and prioritizing shop work made it to the list. I realized it's going to be much easier to get the interior done before I move in. So... started back at it. I got the floors masked off and got tape and mud done... then the girls helped me paint.

Did the floor with Rock Solid polycuramine kits from Menards... grey with flakes and a textured topcoat to make it less slippery if wet. This is a long and multi-stage process. First it required renting a diamond grinder and grinding off the curing sealer. Then powerwashing three times to remove all dust and debris.  The base coat went on, cured for a few days, and topcoated three days later. Then I let that cure for a week before moving in. It's supposed to be cured in 24 hours, but why rush it if not necessary?

Finally ready to move in.

Got some used kitchen cabinet take outs and installed them for the workshop area.

Really looking forward to getting stuff organized and cleaned up now.  It's totally a dream come true. Still have to buy and install the boiler and get the ceiling insulated... but those are things that can be worked around. Up until this point it's been much easier to have minimal stuff in the way.

If you made it all the way to the bottom, thanks for taking the time to read it.  Get more done, have more fun!!   

• shallowwatersailor
      By shallowwatersailor
      This is probably silly but I was made very happy today. The new shed that I had planned on getting since January was finally installed, six weeks after ordering it. It almost didn't happen though due to the HOA that I now have to live under! They were upset with my submittal to them as it didn't have enough information. Also, even though the city was fine with partially encroaching on an underground drainage easement, the HOA wanted it out of the easement completely. The pad was done the other day before approval which also irritated them. Luckily common sense prevailed. Th trailer by Pine Hill is really neat as it can move sideways with the lateral set of tires underneath.

It is a 10' x 16' shed with an 8' workbench and 4' loft at one end. I had to match the house color and, of course, architectural shingles. Now to landscape around it and load everything in to it! Especially the new-to-me 314-8.

About two hours later the sky opened up with a quick thunderstorm to baptize it.  There is an 18" culvert that dumps right there.Even though it looks close, the bottom is about a foot higher and six feet away from the water.

• leeave96
      By leeave96
      Need some recommendations on a new shed. I'm looking at putting up one of these metal buildings - I might have posted this link sometime back to the manufacturer's website, but here it is again:

http://www.carolinacarportsinc.com/configurator/index

What I'd like to do is put up a building with two garage doors. There would be space equal to the width of the garage doors between the garage doors and the opposite sides of them. This would be on the long side of the building and descriptively is like this:

wall-space-door-space-door-space-wall

The idea is to put tractors, junk, pop-up camper, firewood, etc, to the extent possible out of the garage door lanes and that would be to either side of the two garage doors and the space between them.

So I have some questions:

- How tall should the building be? Nothing bigger than a 1/2 or 3/4 ton truck would in it.

- How deep (as you drive into it) is desirable? 20ft, 24ft - looking for some reasonable depth such that I can pull in a vehicle and yet not be so crowded that I can't work around it or even move a tractor around the end of it?

- how wide should be garage doors be? I'd like to get a full size truck through them without being so narrow that I'd smash a mirror.

- If you look at the website, they offer vertical or horizontal siding. I'm thinking vertical. Don't know if this is better for looks or strength or both. What you do think?

- I'd like to put this building on a concrete pad. Question is - how thick and what type - rebar or concrete with fiber or both.

This is just in the planning stage - not sure I'll do it, but I want to figure out what experience others have with their garages, and lessons learned from theirs you can share.
    • bgh5469
      By bgh5469
      Hey guys wanted to get some opinions on my upcoming detatched dream garage build. I am planning to have 24x28 garage built for my hobbie shop(wheel horses and cars). My question is what kind of foundation should i do. I am in northern indiana and have been told i can build on a monolithic slab(thickened structural slab on grade) or traditional footings with a floating slab. My local building code allows both types for detached structures.  I  prefer footings since they get below the frost line but they are significantlying more expensive. Does anyone have any past experience with a monolithic slab foundations. I don't want to cheap out on my foundation, but if i go with footings I will have give up some other features I wanted.