Pullstart

Shop project...

Achto
19 hours ago, WHX24 said:

Agreed ZXT.... how did you know they leaked throug the intake valves? So not the rings as supected?

When I hook up my leak down tester you can hear the air whistling out the intake. Open the butterfly on the throttle body & it gets even loader.

Not sure if you are familiar on doing a leak down test Jim. Here's a run down. You bring the cylinder to top dead, a hose for the tester screws into the spark plug hole. You hook an air line to the tester & zero out the leakage gauge on it. Then you plug the hose from the spark plug hole to the tester. ( during this process you may have to hold the crank shaft so that the air pressure will not push the piston down ) The leakage gauge will register the percentage of leakage. If you have excess leakage then it has a possibility of going three places. If you hear air through the intake = leaking past the intake valve. If you hear air at the exhaust = leaking past the exhaust valve. If you hear air through the crank case breather or filler neck = leaking past the rings. You will always have a small amount past the ring just because of the end gaps. A good cylinder should have less than 15% leakage. The leakage gauge on my kit says that less than 20% is acceptable.

Unfortunately this tool will not work on Kohlers that have ACR.:( 

Edited by Achto
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart
7 hours ago, 19richie66 said:

Lake Okeechobee........ if I was still in Florida I would come visit. Be sure to look up Rodney Burger while you down there. He has LOTS of stuff hoarded up down there by now. 👍 Have a safe trip.

@Lane Ranger?

WHX??
9 hours ago, 19richie66 said:

He has LOTS of stuff hoarded up down there by now.

Boy if that wasn't said like a true horseaholic! :laughing-rolling:

953 nut
4 hours ago, Achto said:

Unfortunately this tool will not work on Kohlers that have ACR.:(

I just did a leakdown test on an ACR Kohler a couple months ago. I rolled the crankshaft a couple degrees past TDC and locked it down, worked great.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

WHX??

I see on the leak down test. I wouldn't have guessed one could not hear the air escaping but I guess so if it's large enough.  I was always going to put one together (tester)  with a old spark plug for use on our Kohlers but then figured why bother? The 867 smokes worse than I do so that tells me she needs internal loving of some  sorts. 

If the leakage is that bad wouldn't it result in a p poor compression test? 

I guess I need more schooling on the benefits of doing a leak down test on our Kohlers. 

• Like 1

953 nut
19 minutes ago, WHX24 said:

If the leakage is that bad wouldn't it result in a p poor compression test? 

The exhaust valve momentarily opening just before TDC will give a bad compression reading if you have ACR.

There are a couple ways to determine what camshaft you have. Presuming the camshaft in your engine is the one it was born with the data plate on the engine has a suffix that can tell you what camshaft was used. The table below will tell you the suffix applicable to your engine. The other way to determine what camshaft you have is to remove the cam gear cover and take a look. If you see a mechanism attached to the cam gear it is the ACR cam.

The following engines have the spark advance camshaft;

K-141, Suffix prior to “C”

K-161, Suffix prior to “J”

K-181, Suffix prior to “D”

K-241, Suffix prior to “D”

462457931_SparkadvancevsACRcam.jpg.9ace2e37e414210409f51aa58a94ec5c.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

WHX??

Excellent info ther Richard...now if I could just remember it!

When I went through the 1055 241 it had the advance cam in it so I just made sure the advance hair springs were doing their job and put it back as was.

I had no idea what the suffix should have been since this all came from two motors both of which the plates were missing. Terry came through with some placebo numbers and all is good. 

Hindsight being what it is I had a ACR cam I should have used  on the shelf. She always hangs up the SG on the compression stroke when starting now but but a couple of seconds off the switch she will roll her over. Except if the belt is wet like after her bath!

I forget about that ACR business all too often. 

OK I'll shut up here 'for Kev :bitch:we got off on :wh:

Edited by WHX24
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

19richie66
16 hours ago, pullstart said:

Think it’s Lawnman56...... don’t quote me. Lane is his partner in crime 😁

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart
11 minutes ago, 19richie66 said:

Think it’s Lawnman56...... don’t quote me. Lane is his partner in crime 😁

Right, I couldn’t recall Rodney’s handle :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

Pullstart

The new upgraded pump arrived today.  I had to change over my filter mount and install it.  It is so much quieter!  @PeacemakerJack @Achto you guys heard it so loud, this sounds like an in tank pump now :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Excellent 4

Achto

Your old pump was so loud that I could hear it while I was in the garage at Jim's. I'm glad to hear that this one is quieter. Do you need to jump start this one with a hammer??? :lol:

Edited by Achto
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Pullstart

After 1/4 mile road test last night, I’m happy to say hello to Bowling Green, KY!  500 miles down, 844 to get there!

• Excellent 3

Pullstart

@The Tuul Crib Hi Randy!

5718CA11-CFF7-400F-AB8B-F306148AE967.jpeg

2ED0ECFF-ACF8-4822-BB17-2E001CC752AB.jpeg

• Like 3

Pullstart

I need to go to Champy’s Chocken in Chattanooga some day!  Wow, that’s a tongue twister!

E8791586-7B8D-4C09-8DEE-9DC3F5AA5CBB.jpeg

7F45389E-0CDF-40F9-BBDC-12B22B64B852.jpeg

97E36CA1-CB6F-40FF-899F-AC716091A02D.jpeg

• Like 5

Pullstart

873 miles hauling the camper is enough to prove Norman’s good to go!  ‘Night y’al!

• Excellent 3

Pullstart

Macon, GA passed by @Zeek on the way to Okeechobee (I can totally see how wild pigs would be in your area), dropped the camper and headed north to see friends and family in Daytona, have a bite to eat and made it to Jacksonville.  I’m ready for a real night’s sleep then will see if we can get all the way home tomorrow!  Norman is all kinds of peppy.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 4

Mikey the Monkey

Kevin what are you doing in Florida? Getting some sand in your shoes? I now there's Charlie berens video of him at Disney that's funny. 

I would post the link but have no idea how. 

Edited by Mikey the Monkey
  • Haha 1

Pullstart

@Mikey the Monkey We are renting our camper out in hopes of generating enough revenue to help get a toy hauler!  :handgestures-fingerscrossed:  there are campgrounds everywhere down here!  Cows too :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 3

Mikey the Monkey

Love your entrepreneurial spirit! I've been on a dairy near Gainesville my sister in-law was their HR rep. Maybe 25000 ? cows added up between multiple locations

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

WHX??

You'd find good work down there then Mikey... You probably wouldn't regret it when you got snow up to your keester! 

• Haha 2

Tractorhead

Great to hear that the Work on Norman has beeing proved that positive.

Wish you a Safe trip and hope your find is coming true.

• Thanks 1

Pullstart
8 hours ago, Tractorhead said:

Great to hear that the Work on Norman has beeing proved that positive.

Wish you a Safe trip and hope your find is coming true.

Unloaded on the way home, I’ve gotten between 16.5 mpg and 19.9 mpg, running near 80 mph the whole way!  From Georgia to South Kentucky through the south end of the Appalachian mountains was where I achieved the best mileage!  It must have a good load on the turbo to keep boost right in the sweet spot?

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2

Pullstart

Waffle House, then northbound one more day!

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2

ebinmaine

I like waffles

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

Pullstart
5 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

I like waffles

The lady takin’ orders had a WH visor on.  We can assume she loves red tractors.

• Excellent 4