WHX??

Carb Throttle Shaft Bushing

WHX??

Developed a little gas leak on a K301 carb this weekend so decided it was due for a long overdue cleaning. While I was at it had a carb off a 241 that I might as well go through for a ready spare on the shelf. Question here is the best way to bush the throttle shaft. These both had the removable linkage  so hopefully no need to take the throttle plate off.   Carb on the left has brass/bronze washers around the shaft so does this mean a PO had put them there?  The one on the left has that recessed area where they might fit in? Is the small stepped area on the one on the right a bushing that must come out? I know Dan @Achto has recently done this on his Raider 12 resto so hopefully he'll chime in to elaborate.

20180226_103911[1].jpg

Edited by WHX14
speeling & gramma

Achto

To my knowledge there wasn't a bushing installed on the carbs from the factory. I believe that the one on the left has had the repair done to it already. My carb had the same step in the shaft, just like the one on the right in your pic. I picked up the bushings for mine at Kitz & Phiel. 7/16" o.d. x 1/4" i.d. x 1/16" thick. 1/8" is the advertised correct thickness, so I just stacked two together. :think: Looking back, I may not have had to stack them. It looks like the upper stepped part of the shaft does not touch the bushing any way.

• Like 3

WHX??
40 minutes ago, Achto said:

7/16" o.d. x 1/4" i.d. x 1/16" thick.

That's the numbers I was looking for ,.... and that helped the shaft wobble/air leakage problem? Not that this 301 idled rough anyway but while I got it apart kinda thing. I was under the impression that to re-bush the shaft meant removing everything, reaming and installing. This carb doesn't owe anybody anything so I would go knockoff carb before that if originality is not an issue.

• Like 2

Achto
22 minutes ago, WHX14 said:

That's the numbers I was looking for ,.... and that helped the shaft wobble/air leakage problem?

It took care of the wobble for sure. I didn't really have any issues with how the engine ran before I installed the bushing. If you look for those bushings at the hardware store, I found them in the bins marked thrust washers.

Edited by Achto
  • Like 1

WHX??
2 minutes ago, Achto said:

found them in the bins marked trust

In washers we trust ! :D

• Haha 2

Achto
7 minutes ago, WHX14 said:

In washers we trust ! :D

Good catch! :D I was testing you.:lol:

• Haha 1

Shynon
2 hours ago, Achto said:

7/16" o.d. x 1/4" i.d. x 1/16" thick. 1/8" is the advertised correct thickness, so I just stacked two together

:text-yeahthat:Got mine at the local Ace Hardware

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

roadapples

I think it was @oldredrider a while back who had the part number for the washers at Ace hardware...

WHX??

So you ain't got photographic memory on that  P/N Apples or just CRS on Red's numbers!?!?  Help me out her Jay unless you want to see me wandering aimlessly down the aisles @ Ace 'till some youngster says  can I help you sir? Ahhh well can you tell me were the trust washers are? Oh yeah...that's gonna get me a look. I'll end up getting locked in the store at closing time and have to have a supper of free popcorn! :lol: 

• Haha 3

oldredrider

It's  a Hillman part #58087 bushing. Half the thickness of the Kohler bushing so just double stack them.

• Like 1

WHX??

:text-thankyouyellow:  Old Red... just happen to be going to Ace today.

• Like 1

WHX??

Update here ......got to Ace today and thank you again @oldredrider PN match & walked right to it but was NOT in the trust bin Dan! :ychain:

Anyhoo got it installed (only used one) and tightened it up things nice. Bolted it back up and fired right off and ran nice.........for about a minute! Fiddled with adjustment screws to no avail...disconnected pump to carb line and turned over...no fuel from pump. WTH fuel pump go out??? Noooo let's try opening the petcock......yeah that will help! :ranting:  Ran good after that. 

BTW we need to have a word about that carb kit I gave you @Achto......let's just say they were  cheap... will update this thread to warn others.

Achto
3 minutes ago, WHX14 said:

BTW we need to have a word about that carb kit I gave you @Achto.

Would this have anything to do with the needle & seat fitment?

WHX??

No that was good.... the needle seat is 10 mm (go figure)versus 3/8 as original and you need a thin wall socket to set it so be carefull should you decide to use it. Those little trunnions that hold the float pin break very easily. No fiber washer in the kit for under bowl nut, float pin way too long. An o-ring in the kit that I have yet to figure out where it goes. Let's just say we got what we paid for. The OEM  Kohler kits are a better bang for the buck but if you are looking for just the bowl seals and baffle gasket not the worst.

20180226_104228.jpg

20180226_104253.jpg

Edited by WHX14
  • Like 1

WHX??

The second  pic is the oem kit. @Rp.wh got a slew of those for a ridiculously low price but he has yet to share his source ...so much for his inheritance :lol:

Edited by WHX14
  • Haha 2

19richie66

Thanks for the heads up.👍

• Excellent 1

Achto
10 hours ago, WHX14 said:

No that was good.... the needle seat is 10 mm (go figure)versus 3/8 as original and you need a thin wall socket to set it so be carefull should you decide to use it.

The needle & seat seemed a little long to me. I didn't think that the float had the range of motion that it should so I didn't use them. Other than the mystery o-ring, the gaskets fit good.

• Like 1

WHX??

I did use the seat & float needle but yes quite a bit of bending on the float tab but managed to get it set correctly. I'll get a pic of side by side comparison.  These were flea bay kits, 10 for about 27 bucks. In the future I will just use the gaskets for bowl cleanings which is ok I guess  Use genuine Kohler for rebuilds.

• Like 1

Shynon
23 hours ago, WHX14 said:

No that was good.... the needle seat is 10 mm (go figure)versus 3/8 as original and you need a thin wall socket to set it so be carefull should you decide to use it. Those little trunnions that hold the float pin break very easily. No fiber washer in the kit for under bowl nut, float pin way too long. An o-ring in the kit that I have yet to figure out where it goes. Let's just say we got what we paid for. The OEM  Kohler kits are a better bang for the buck but if you are looking for just the bowl seals and baffle gasket not the worst.

20180226_104228.jpg

20180226_104253.jpg

I bought some of those, sent them right back. Now I'm waiting for my ship to come in with my new ones. we'll see how they look. A lathe makes quick work of the socket fitment issue, maybe you could get @Achto to fix you up

• Like 2

WHX??

Agreed Tom, But right now I  would rather  rather see Dan focus on his plow tractor now rather than wasting his skills on my stupidness and cheapness  on ordering... on getting my parts machined for a sickel... different story! :ychain:

• Like 2