cschannuth

C-161 Plow Day

WHX??

Did you try increasing your ground speed or try setting up plow angles different? Looks like it did a fair to middlin  job!  What kind of hitch are you running? Looks to be a 10 incher? Type of soil? Sorry for all the questions just trying to learn.

Signed

A Newbie Plower and  TP 23-8.50-12  on order.

Nothin like a black hood with those weights:handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2

cschannuth
53 minutes ago, WHX9 said:

Did you try increasing your ground speed or try setting up plow angles different? Looks like it did a fair to middlin  job!  What kind of hitch are you running? Looks to be a 10 incher? Type of soil? Sorry for all the questions just trying to learn.

Signed

A Newbie Plower and  TP 23-8.50-12  on order.

Nothin like a black hood with those weights:handgestures-thumbupright:

I'm a newbie myself. I was plowing in hi range/2nd gear. I'm not sure how to change the angle. For the depth I put the tractor on a 6" platform and set the plow on the ground that was 6" below so it was level. I'm using a sleeve hitch and it is a 10" plow. The soil is clay but it's an existing garden so it wasn't too tough. 

• Like 2

WHX??

Sounds about right from what the masters told me @cschannuth ....6in might be a little much ...I was told 4 with some discretion.  High/2nd sounds good. Plow angle is a science in inself and the end matter is that you got good seat time!  The Prodinsky clan @Shynonand @prondzy know way much more than I as well as @PeacemakerJack Just  glad to see you are givin it a shot!:) The only thing I really know about GT plowing is is alls good as long as you are having fun!:lol:

• Like 2

cschannuth
59 minutes ago, WHX9 said:

Sounds about right from what the masters told me @cschannuth ....6in might be a little much ...I was told 4 with some discretion.  High/2nd sounds good. Plow angle is a science in inself and the end matter is that you got good seat time!  The Prodinsky clan @Shynonand @prondzy know way much more than I as well as @PeacemakerJack Just  glad to see you are givin it a shot!:) The only thing I really know about GT plowing is is alls good as long as you are having fun!:lol:

It was a lot of fun.  I'm always looking for an excuse to ride. 

squonk

Even more fun with hyd lift! :)

I run loaded 6-12's on the rear of my 1267 for plowin. along with wheel weights and front suitcase weights. The narrow tires put more weight down in the furrow.

T-Mo

Craig,

We will be trying again to have a plow day event near Marthasville this fall.  We had one the end of October last year, and one Wheel Horse made it there.  There should be some guys there to help you set up the plow correctly and it's a lot of fun to boot.

• Like 1

cschannuth
5 hours ago, T-Mo said:

Craig,

We will be trying again to have a plow day event near Marthasville this fall.  We had one the end of October last year, and one Wheel Horse made it there.  There should be some guys there to help you set up the plow correctly and it's a lot of fun to boot.

I look forward to it. I couldn't make it last year. 

7 hours ago, squonk said:

Even more fun with hyd lift! :)

I run loaded 6-12's on the rear of my 1267 for plowin. along with wheel weights and front suitcase weights. The narrow tires put more weight down in the furrow.

I actually have one good 6–12 Ag that's  already loaded. The next time I plow I will put that on the right side. It happens to be the same diameter as the larger tires that I have on there now so I think it'll work out fine. My current tires are loaded and I have the heavyweights installed so they are a bear  to switch out. Otherwise I would probably try to find another 6–12 and change them both for plowing. 

Elkskin's mower junkyard

i know this is different animal. but i plow our garden with my sears. i run goodyear ags that are 23 - 10.50 -12 with 2 sets of weights on rear wheels. i plow 1/4 - 1/2 throttle in high 1st. only issue is i end up picking front end up from the torque of the cast iron briggs. i need more attachments for the wheel horses lol. i usually am 6 inches down in this sandy ground

Edited by craftsmanmowerfreak
  • Like 2

WVHillbilly520H

@cschannuth, those brand suitcase weights look really good on there, did they actually help keep your front end planted while plowing, I know my 120# does decent, Jeff.

• Like 1

c-series don

Yes, I'm really diggin those weights! 

• Like 1

ericj

i plow with a 520-H with a 12" plow. it does good. i can cover my tire tracks fairly well. I use it at the little guy's show's plowing contest. usually a tractor with a 6" plow wins. go figure lol

eric j  

• Like 1

cschannuth
7 hours ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

@cschannuth, those brand suitcase weights look really good on there, did they actually help keep your front end planted while plowing, I know my 120# does decent, Jeff.

Yeah, it stays planted really well. They are only 10 lbs a piece times 7 plus the weight bracket. I think it helps that the weights are pushed further forward because of the longer nose of the 161 twin. 

29 minutes ago, ericj said:

i plow with a 520-H with a 12" plow. it does good. i can cover my tire tracks fairly well. I use it at the little guy's show's plowing contest. usually a tractor with a 6" plow wins. go figure lol

eric j  

A 12" plow would be better for the 10.5" rears I have but the 10" plow is all I have.  It's fun to play around with this stuff. 

7 hours ago, c-series don said:

Yes, I'm really diggin those weights! 

Thanks. I like them because they are easy to handle because of their small size. 

squonk

Bigger isn't always better. I tried a 10" in a 73 12. Had to back up to lift the plow. PITA and hurt my back too. Plus it's harder on the lift equipment. I run an 8" now and it's well balanced and lifts easily.

• Like 1

Brian33

Great looking tractor! What kind/size tires do you have on the front