PeacemakerJack

"Blackbeard"--Zach's GT-14

kpinnc

It is so heartwarming to see you two tackle this old iron together. You're both making memories that will last a lifetime (or two), and I congratulate you both! :thumbs:

• Like 2
  • Heart 3

PeacemakerJack

:text-yeahthat:he is my last kiddo and with Caleb in his last few months of High School and Claudia talking Nursing School following her senior year, I am seeing the “handwriting on the wall”.  It is what so many of you gents have shared with me in past years—enjoy every minute that you can.  Make every memory while you can.  I feel so blessed to have the children that I have and I love each one very much but it is scary to think how much life for the wife and I is likely to change in the next decade…not bad, just different.  I like this stage and I’m trying to “squeeze every drop” of enjoyment and memory making that I can!  I hope that every time he spends serious seat time on this tractor, he remembers this time with me working, caring for, refurbishing it!

• Excellent 9

Pullstart

I’m a bit behind @PeacemakerJack, awesome progress you guys are making!  That pulley system that @gt14rider posted is the same I have.  That 3/4” shaft I imagine you could get a chunk of already keyed round stock or maybe @Achto could mill something for you at work?  I don’t recall who I was talking with about the GT14 tiller setup but apparently the pump shaft originally had a brittle makeup and was prone to snapping with the impacts of the tiller.  Maybe a rod should be built to become a fuse of sorts, with a groove turned into it.  I’d imagine a 3/4” shaft with a 1/16”-1/8” groove would be sufficient to be a sacrifice to save the pump.  Whoever told me that, said many pumps have been repaired with a softer input shaft over the years, to allow more impact without shattering.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

oliver2-44
9 minutes ago, PeacemakerJack said:

I’m trying to “squeeze every drop” of enjoyment and memory making that I can!  

I can vouch that the memory making doesn’t end. It just turns from tractors to home remodeling projects and then tractors for grandkids to drive. 

Edited by oliver2-44
  • Like 5
  • Heart 1

PeacemakerJack

I had some office work to do this morning but Zach came out around 10am asking what he could do.  I put him back on the sanding brigade but  this time it was on the rear rims.  
96CA80F3-94F1-4F62-BD3B-CED27FCBF265.jpeg.7b4df86108b3b79f77433413e6b96e12.jpeg

We went sledding in the early afternoon and then when we got back, Zach was dying to get some color on his rims.E920805D-6254-4C06-8429-0D123A24B20B.jpeg.6f77cbf587d6f7fc6fec616885156e57.jpeg

He loves the look of Richie’s grey rims and so he picked charcoal grey by RustOleum.  
0A907AF0-E0EA-4F67-82BF-51E0A2C56C3D.jpeg.e144a53a47472bf250a9a1339171a574.jpeg

They turned out nice and we will be installing the new tires soon!

• Like 3
  • Excellent 4

ebinmaine

Super awesome!

• Like 1

Achto
4 minutes ago, PeacemakerJack said:

He loves laying down paint!

I started out with spray cans at a young age. Practice & experiments will lead to success. Would be very happy to have him over when I'm painting. Would like to let him run a gun for a few pieces. 

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

19richie66

He’s doing great. Parts look fantastic. Keep it up Zach!

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

PeacemakerJack

Thanks so much Dan! I know that he would love that whole experience and would soak up anything you’d teach him like water on a dry sponge!

• Like 3
  • Heart 1

PeacemakerJack

More priming and painting…
AF05135C-D91C-4E27-B726-B71DE30C66AE.jpeg.29cfd96bfa65dc1eada79f204db4cdd8.jpeg

83A49379-AEF9-46AB-BDD9-8E7126C69783.jpeg.374a7d3a63f60390ba24d9b27d0f9584.jpeg

as I mentioned earlier, he has taken a page out of Richie’s “book” and elected to go with the charcoal rims to match the gray stripe in the bottom half of the hood decal…

66935A7D-D93A-4249-AEB1-B432D0DE12AC.jpeg.463b47ded12f489d5ae2ecb1ebdd1ec6.jpeg

It is so nice to see these parts freshened up…hard to believe it has been over 50 years since they were last painted😳

00109C27-002C-4882-AF2A-6B1C536B8769.jpeg.cbf0c1cc7abb7f57d0b70a46e81e3042.jpeg

I’m pleased with this little man and he is pleased with the accomplishments so far.  Dan has been helping me with switches for the dash. The headlight switch was fairly easy to locate. Does anyone have a link for a replacement PTO switch?  The factory original switches still work but I’d like to go with something new and save the originals since this tractor is going to be a worker. I would even be alright with a toggle, as long as it functions like the factory switch.  We are installing a metal dash panel thanks to Richie and don’t have the holes cut in it yet, so a standard toggle would work…

• Like 1
  • Excellent 8

SylvanLakeWH

Just outstanding! That smile says it all!!!

:eusa-clap:

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

Bill D
54 minutes ago, PeacemakerJack said:

More priming and painting…
AF05135C-D91C-4E27-B726-B71DE30C66AE.jpeg.29cfd96bfa65dc1eada79f204db4cdd8.jpeg

83A49379-AEF9-46AB-BDD9-8E7126C69783.jpeg.374a7d3a63f60390ba24d9b27d0f9584.jpeg

as I mentioned earlier, he has taken a page out of Richie’s “book” and elected to go with the charcoal rims to match the gray stripe in the bottom half of the hood decal…

66935A7D-D93A-4249-AEB1-B432D0DE12AC.jpeg.463b47ded12f489d5ae2ecb1ebdd1ec6.jpeg

It is so nice to see these parts freshened up…hard to believe it has been over 50 years since they were last painted😳

00109C27-002C-4882-AF2A-6B1C536B8769.jpeg.cbf0c1cc7abb7f57d0b70a46e81e3042.jpeg

I’m pleased with this little man and he is pleased with the accomplishments so far.  Dan has been helping me with switches for the dash. The headlight switch was fairly easy to locate. Does anyone have a link for a replacement PTO switch?  The factory original switches still work but I’d like to go with something new and save the originals since this tractor is going to be a worker. I would even be alright with a toggle, as long as it functions like the factory switch.  We are installing a metal dash panel thanks to Richie and don’t have the holes cut in it yet, so a standard toggle would work…

I'm not sure how the factory PTO switch works, (load capacity, number of contacts, NO/NC contacts, etc) but would it be possible to use a 40 amp rated 5 pin relay in place of the factory switch and have a toggle switch on the dash activate the relay.  Could be much cheaper than a factory style PTO switch.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart

So awesome Zach!  Great work!

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

953 nut
5 hours ago, Bill D said:

I'm not sure how the factory PTO switch works, (load capacity, number of contacts, NO/NC contacts, etc) but would it be possible to use a 40 amp rated 5 pin relay in place of the factory switch and have a toggle switch on the dash activate the relay.  Could be much cheaper than a factory style PTO switch.

The function of the four contact switch is to interrupt the start signal to the solenoid prevent the starter from rotating with the PTO on. This saves the starter from being overburdened if a mower or other belt driven item is installed.

If you used a toggle switch for the PTO you could use the five pin relay as shown below to do the same function.

1094362380_5pinrelay.jpg.d7827103e11167ecd504baef98b89c9c.jpg

85 to ground

86 to PTO toggle switch output to PTO

30 to "S" terminal of ignition switch

87A to starter solenoid small terminal

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

gt14rider

Great job Zach, that's going to be one sharp looking GT14. keep up the good work. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Lee1977

You might as well start looking for more Wheel Horses for Zack to rebuild!

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

PeacemakerJack
59 minutes ago, Lee1977 said:

You might as well start looking for more Wheel Horses for Zack to rebuild!

Thankfully, I have a couple more “lurking” around here that could use his touch—namely a 1054A should he indicate that it is time to do another one😎🙌🏻

• Like 4
  • Excellent 4

ebinmaine
7 hours ago, PeacemakerJack said:

we are opting to go with a metal dash and .... place decals

I do the same in the C Series when we restore them. 

I REALLY like the look a LOT better than the OE plastic dash cover.  

7 hours ago, PeacemakerJack said:

Zach doesn’t know a stranger.  

THAT. Is an admirable trait.  

• Like 2
  • Heart 1

Pullstart
8 hours ago, PeacemakerJack said:

Well said! He has about 15 guys now across the south that want me to send them pictures of Blackbeard when it is finished🙌🏻

Zach needs to get some business cards with this thread as a QR code on them!  I think I got it, try this… :handgestures-thumbupright:

7B9DA1DB-4018-47E6-8B26-C7700E377FD2.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart

Oh, and it’s looking great!

• Like 1
  • Heart 1

953 nut
21 hours ago, PeacemakerJack said:

Terry @Vinylguy we are opting to go with a metal dash and tunnel insert and place decals rather than try to stick with the original plastic. As you can see in the picture our original was complete yet rough. Terry did an excellent job of creating a factory look for us!

:text-coolphotos:     Zach is doing a great job, you are justifiably proud of you son.  :handgestures-thumbupright:    That dash looks great.    FYI, the 953/1054 metal dash plate fits the GT-14 opening perfectly, it has round holes for the starter push button and generator light but they probably line up with the two switches on the GT-14, now I just need to order one of the decals from Terry.  :text-thankyouyellow:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

PeacemakerJack
14 hours ago, Pullstart said:

Zach needs to get some business cards with this thread as a QR code on them! 

Thanks Kevin…Zach is totally excited about this.  He was reading your post on my phone, then asked momma for her phone, scanned the QR and was amazed when it redirected to his thread😃😎

next up—making up some cards!

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2
  • Heart 2