Sign in to follow this  
IBleedRed

1054 Modification Dilema

71_Bronco

What you could have done is make a cut in the fenders in the vertical portion (where is meets the center section). Then you could weld in a strip of 1" or 2" wide strip of metal in, and then weld the portion of the fenders you cut off back on, thus making them taller.

Also looks to me like you didn't have to cut them THAT far back. Could have left 2 or so inches of the fender portion on and still not rubbed.

SPINJIM

Best place is ebay, or try your local Toro dealer if you don't mind paying a high price. Or better yet, come to the Wheel Horse show in Biglersville, PA in June.

Jim

IBleedRed

I found an add on craigslist for economy parts I'm going to check out first, looks promising. As for the show in PA, I would love to go but its a 5 1/2 hour drive for me and I wouldn't be able to leave for it until Saturday morning.

TT

Speedex tractors would be another source for "clam shell" fenders. There's actually a "NOS" pair of S-23/24 fenders on eBay right now.

You asked about throttle/choke cables...... Are they missing, froze up, broke, cut? :confusion-shrug:

IBleedRed

Its mostly the choke thats the problem, the tab that holds the cable broke off. Niether are beyond repair, but I just wanted to know If there were eny NOS or remanufactured parts out there.

Rollerman

If your not to worried about keeping it 100% correct, browse some of the aftermarket suppliers in the links section here.

Should be able to find some push/pull cables there.

I've seen them on ebay too, but quality varies alot with some of them.

IBleedRed

I'm not going for 100%, but the pull type to me just wouldnt look right.

Dropped out the spindles today to get the new ones welded on. I had to heat up the entire bracket that connects the steering rods to the left hand spindle, and in the proccess managed to crack it. Luckily I was able to braze it back together. Spindles are tacked and just need to be welded. The one picture is the POs fix of the steering rod, so I cut of the end and welded on a proper ball joint.

post-5838-0-70863500-1325815323_thumb.jp

post-5838-0-45804800-1325815335_thumb.jp

post-5838-0-52029500-1325815343_thumb.jp

Rollerman

I'm not going for 100%, but the pull type to me just wouldnt look right.

Dropped out the spindles today to get the new ones welded on. I had to heat up the entire bracket that connects the steering rods to the left hand spindle, and in the proccess managed to crack it. Luckily I was able to braze it back together. Spindles are tacked and just need to be welded. The one picture is the POs fix of the steering rod, so I cut of the end and welded on a proper ball joint.

It's been awhile since I've been around a 953/1054, sorry about that...they do have the lever style & not a push/pull. :hide:

If the levers are in good shape & free, remove the cables & replace.

Most small engine shops or even TSC would have a throttle cable/lever kit.

The cables are just crimped into the lever assembly...it's pretty easy to swap them out.

IBleedRed

I got my spindles and steering arm welded up today. Front end is together and looking good.

The hubs I bought didnt have a grease fitting and I didnt feel like pulling the dust covers off constantly. Decided it would be best to drill and tap a spot for a grease zerk.

post-5838-0-59937000-1325904987_thumb.jp

post-5838-0-44754800-1325904996_thumb.jp

post-5838-0-90386800-1325905007_thumb.jp

Martin

Its mostly the choke thats the problem, the tab that holds the cable broke off. Niether are beyond repair, but I just wanted to know If there were eny NOS or remanufactured parts out there.

when i did the ones on my 1054, i just bought some generic throttle cable that was longer than what i needed and made them to length. its very easy to do on the 1054, just get the outer length right, allow enough extra length each end for the inner and bend the inner cable ends like the originals. if the end just broke off at the bend, then you have the length you need for the inner, just allow extra past the bend.

IBleedRed

Its not the cable thats the problem, the lever set up that bolts to the dash is whats wrong. The part of the lever mechanism that hold the cable in place is broke off.

Martin

Its not the cable thats the problem, the lever set up that bolts to the dash is whats wrong. The part of the lever mechanism that hold the cable in place is broke off.

i guess i misread your post. i was lucky that mine were good and the cables were all that needed replacing. im sure you will come across something eventually, sometimes it just takes time.

IBleedRed

I think I've figured out how I'm going to do my 3 point hitch. I can't really explain it, but once I get it finished I'll let the pictures do the talking. Heres what I have do far:

post-5838-0-00355500-1326079574_thumb.jp

post-5838-0-49099500-1326079582_thumb.jp

post-5838-0-76726500-1326079599_thumb.jp

IBleedRed

Gained more ground on my 3 point hitch with the arrival of my lower lift arms and other componants. At the moment I have a chain running to center lift.

Now that I've had time to really look things over and think about Nick's idea of a 3 spool valve and replacing the tractors origonal hydraulic setup with my loader pump is the best way to go.

post-5838-0-12467700-1326259810_thumb.jp

post-5838-0-43054800-1326259829_thumb.jp