Geoff Cornwall

C161 drive belt

Geoff Cornwall

Ive been having a problem with the drive belt slipping on my wheel horse , i have taken the belt off and measured the outside and it 82 inches long . Ive have read some posts  trying to find out if this is the correct length but from what i can tell it should be 84 inches long , my confusion is that the  belt seems way to long already . Now its off i intend to replace it. , but im thinking that if the correct belt is 84 inches then that is never going to fit . The kohler engine is still on the rubber mounted  shaker plate , the tensioning spring on the clutch arm  dosent seem to be the right one , the small arm it attaches  to is almost in a horizontal position pointing to the rear when tensioning the belt , the idler pulley would still need to go at least an inch or more backwards . Any help or suggestions appreciated , i have confused myself looking up part numbers , and am at a bit of a loss now ! Thanks in advance , Geoff . 

IMG_1329.jpeg

IMG_1328.jpeg

IMG_1327.jpeg

ebinmaine

Geoff, as you've likely already figured out  you may have multiple issues there. 

The belt should be a Wheelhorse or Toro number 7473. 

That's 5/8" or B belt   81.9 inches long. 

I've found that being just UNDER 82" can be a necessity. 

Several folks on the site have had reasonable luck with aftermarket belts. 

I personally no longer use anything but OE on the C Series with an 8 speed. 

The clutch spring certainly could be an issue. 

Your engine rubber mounts are likely a big percentage of the problem.  

If those are bad the entire drive line can be tossed outta kilter.  

• Like 3

Geoff Cornwall

Thanks for the reply Eric , the rubber mounts are definitely on the soft side , no doubt perished due to age. If i can find a genuine  belt here that is the way i will go , im sure i can locate a better spring somewhere . I was pulling logs out of the woods here yesterday and gradually lost drive to the point the empty trailer was too much for it !

• Like 1

ebinmaine

Those spacers may be able to be hand made. Search the site a bit. 

I've seen mention of it.  

That should be your first move I think.  

Can you get a closer pic of the belt?

peter lena

@Geoff Cornwall  welcome !  agree with @ebinmaine  on your issues , would also probably replace the V BELT IDLER PULLEY , known for binding / rough , movement , that effects the belt engagement . also noting the lack of any lubrication on any ends. movement areas , aerosol penetrant , first to make the rust run out , then red aerosol grease , small tube extension , for tight spots . those engine mounts , will definitely prevent the transfer of power , as said you have multiple issues going on , definitely , not a simple fix . that spring pull , is also probably , much less than it should be do to rust , and frozen related linkage . also get after that manual lift lever , linkage , penetrant , red grease . you could also add a few washers to any sloppy end connection point , firming them up , along with smooth easy function , is what you want ,  https://www.google.com/search?q=wheel+horse+engine+mounts&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS866US866&oq=wheel+horse+engine+mounts&gs_lcrp=EgZjaHJvbWUyBggA reference point on the mounts , a trans oil drain , refill , shift boot , would also help , keep in touch , pete  

squonk

Tractor Supply or Napa belts are fine!  5L820 (TSC) 5L820W (Napa). The notion you need OEM belts on a WH is "Horse Hockey" Gates makes Napa belts. Who do you think makes Toro Belts? It ain't Toro. I had an issue with one belt on a WH and it was a WH branded belt.

Worn rubber mounts will make the engine move under belt tension. Replace the mounts

• Like 1

ebinmaine
33 minutes ago, squonk said:
33 minutes ago, squonk said:

Tractor Supply or Napa belts are fine!  5L820 (TSC) 5L820W (Napa). The notion you need OEM belts on a WH is "Horse Hockey" Gates makes Napa belts. Who do you think makes Toro Belts? It ain't Toro. I had an issue with one belt on a WH and it was a WH branded belt.

To clarify... I'm only adamant about using OR belts on my C Series with 8 speeds. 

Trina's 60s tractors run great with aftermarket belts.  

I'm sad to say Tractor Supply in this area is a joke. We've all but stopped shopping there at all. 

NAPA belts may very well be usable but the pricing here is FAR MORE EXPENSIVE than getting a Toro Wheelhorse belt online. 

826375422_Screenshot_20231126-0935262.png.5a29004e2c52b355d04df3c7844e21de.png

Of course I realize Toro contracts out their belt production like many other parts but why on earth would I pay THAT when I can get the 7473 for less than $50?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

JoeM
3 hours ago, Geoff Cornwall said:

The kohler engine is still on the rubber mounted  shaker plate

might want to think about putting some wood wedged in the shaker plate gap. Just to see if that improve things with your belt tension. That gap is should be 1/2 inch front and back. 

squonk
55 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

To clarify... I'm only adamant about using OR belts on my C Series with 8 speeds. 

Trina's 60s tractors run great with aftermarket belts.  

I'm sad to say Tractor Supply in this area is a joke. We've all but stopped shopping there at all. 

NAPA belts may very well be usable but the pricing here is FAR MORE EXPENSIVE than getting a Toro Wheelhorse belt online. 

826375422_Screenshot_20231126-0935262.png.5a29004e2c52b355d04df3c7844e21de.png

Of course I realize Toro contracts out their belt production like many other parts but why on earth would I pay THAT when I can get the 7473 for less than $50?

My cost on a Napa 5L820W is 42.99 with no shipping. Jungle price for 7473 is $50 :)

Edited by squonk
  • Thanks 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

@ebinmaine and @squonk  Remember    @Geoff Cornwall is in the UK. Is NAPA over there.  belts make be harder to source.

• Like 1

squonk
7 minutes ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

@ebinmaine and @squonk  Remember    @Geoff Cornwall is in the UK. Is NAPA over there.  belts make be harder to source.

Napa /Gates is world wide. I did ship a TSC belt to our dear departed friend Sir nORM because he didn't want to pay the OEM price. It was still cheaper with the shipping and nORM said the TORO folks over there are terrible.

My main point is a lot of folks say you have to use genuine OEM belts on Wheel horses which is a load of baloney. 

Edited by squonk
  • Like 2

ebinmaine
41 minutes ago, squonk said:

My cost on a Napa 5L820W is 42.99 with no shipping. Jungle price for 7473 is $50 :)

Amazing how much things vary region to region isn't it!!??

• Like 2

Ed Kennell

I have to vote for TSC.   Never had a problem with their belts.      Plus I have a store 5 mile from my door where I can buy several belts for ~$30 each and return the ones I don't use for a full refund.

And get rid of the rubber mounts.

Edited by Ed Kennell
  • Like 4

JoeM
2 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

Never had a problem with their belts.

Me either except last week picked up a 5/8x98 for my xi deck. $39 clams! Their prices have gone way up. last year those belts were in the low twenties. 

Ed Kennell
3 minutes ago, JoeM said:

. $39 clams! Their prices have gone way up. last year those belts were in the low twenties. 

Yep, everything doubled in a couple years...sure hope I get that 3% inflation adjustment on my Old timers guvment check.

squonk

We got 5% last year. 

• Like 3

JoeM
2 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

3%

Plus 

28 minutes ago, squonk said:

5%

equals -7%

Boy this new math. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

oliver2-44

@Ed Kennell do I recall you replaced a set of rubber mounts with stacks of various sized washers?  Any chance you have a picture of that to share with Geoff. 

• Like 1

Geoff Cornwall

Thanks for all the replys gents , i have ordered a belt , it did say toro 7473 on the web site but we will see if it is when it arrives . Would love to get a set of the solid mounts from Zack , but dont know if he will ship to the uk , thats an amazing price for a set of 4 , i had changed the rubber shift boot , flushed and changed transmission oil , replaced head gasket and decarboned the head , omongst other things . It runs pretty good and i would love to restore it someday but for now it is used to work . I will take your advice Pete and use penetrating oil and spray grease , but the lucas red and tacky is unavailable here at the moment !

• Like 1

Ed Kennell
4 hours ago, oliver2-44 said:

@Ed Kennell do I recall you replaced a set of rubber mounts with stacks of various sized washers?  Any chance you have a picture of that to share with Geoff. 

Being an old timer, You have a good memory Jim.    :ychain:  

I can't find a picture, But yes I used heavy flat washers including large OD fender washers to replace the rubber mounts.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
3 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

used heavy flat washers including large OD fender washers to replace the rubber mounts

Simple stacking or did you have to modify the washers?

Ed Kennell
14 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Simple stacking or did you have to modify the washers?

Trying to recall Eric.  My 80yo data bank is so jammed with facts some are difficult to locate.    I may have just stacked some small OD  USS washers with a large OD fender washer on top.

• Thanks 1

Geoff Cornwall

I managed to find Zacks engine mounts on the uk ebay , clicked buy it now and then it says does not ship to uk !

ebinmaine
3 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

Trying to recall Eric.  My 80yo data bank is so jammed with facts some are difficult to locate.    I may have just stacked some small OD  USS washers with a large OD fender washer on top.

No worries Ed. I'm just curious.

@JCM Jim and I were talking about his Black Hood the other day.

@Geoff Cornwall might appreciate that information I suppose.  

I know it's been brought up more than once but by whom I can't remember.

Maybe one of our other folks from across the pond?

@sjoemie himself 

• Like 1

oliver2-44
7 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

Being an old timer, You have a good memory Jim.    :ychain:  

I could say that Hurts, but I'll just accept the compliment!

• Excellent 1
  • Haha 1