JCM

Zagray Spring Show 2023 Heavy Equipment

8ntruck

Impressive that th old machines are all cable operated.  Whole different world than the modern hydraulics.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Heart 1

Pullstart

:text-yeahthat: and the arm that slides in and out!

• Like 2

JCM

Called a Dipper Stick @Pullstart      Thanks for your interest    :thumbs:

• Like 2

squonk

Last years line up at the Pageant of Steam. Canandaigua NY

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Heart 1

JCM

Wanted to add a picture of Eric, Peter Lena and myself having conversations about many things, especially fly fishing. Pete brought many flies with him that he tied himself, incredible doesn't even describe them. The order and placement of them in their cases was nothing short of perfect. I could have talked to him for days. Very, very interesting individual and the fish he has landed, yes I am very jealous. Until we may meet again Pete  :notworthy:

WH Members2.jpg

WH Members.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Heart 2

ebinmaine
4 minutes ago, JCM said:

picture

And that's the infamous BBT in the background wearing the camo brimmed hat.   🙂

• Like 1

JCM

Who ?

ebinmaine
16 minutes ago, JCM said:

Who ?

The breakfast chef.  AKA Trina.  😊

• Haha 1

JCM

And yet another picture of the consummate Wheel Horse salesman Mike @Sparky. After he explained the cooling system he proceeded to explain the anti theft starting switch. I decided not to take the 315 for a test drive because if I shut it off I may have had to walk back to the campsite. I think if Mike had opened his own WH dealership back in the day he may have given West End Power a run for their money. Great job buddy. :thumbs:

Mike&Jim.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 2

oliver2-44

@JCM Love seeing this old Brutus Erie cable drag line.  I grew up with a small company mining flint rock wash gravel on part of our farm, then part of the neighbors. 

The old operator let me try to operate it several times.  Too many pedals and levers.  They had a heck of a welder/mechanic that kept things running.

I recall the "turn table" on the dragline and center pin was wore out, so he jacked up the machine and welded it up and machined it with a hand grinder.

When they went to an auction to buy "new" equipment, they took the winch truck so they could drag it home

That old cable dragline is still being used today at another pit location. 

IMG_1324.JPG.1b25631ea365e6f516fec3b7af289bad.JPG

• Like 1
  • Excellent 3

c-series don

@oliver2-44 This is my family’s cable operated Caterpillar D-7, and the Bucyrus-Erie dragline that I grew up on. Probably since around the age of 3! I remember they would tie me in the seat of the dozer with a rope so I couldn’t fall out. Also remember that at the time the seat seemed as big as a couch! It actually is about three feet wide though! Riding on the crane was a bit of a scary experience as a child because of the engine noise and all the gears and winches turning. Especially when the operator would cast the bucket out into the water, watching the cable spool out at a high rate of speed. My seat consisted of two wire milk crates held together with wire, and on top was a square boat cushion. I sat behind the operator looking over his shoulders. If OSHA could have seen that! I’m so happy that I got to experience this as a child. They let me start running a Cat 941 track loader around age 14-15 (in places where I couldn’t hit anything!) Almost 40 years later I’m still at it! Thanks for reading my little story. 

2D03C392-8B8A-435C-89FC-C2D11603CD31.jpeg

5AEACF38-55FB-4116-8CCE-5E87647838BD.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

Stormin

Thanks for the photo's. Also for the photo's of members I'll never meet, whose names I can put faces too. :thumbs:

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

peter lena

@JCM  thannk upu for the reference, also enjoyed talking to you !  had recently started , rehab for osteoarthriuis , in my back , much better now , can actually walk !  BTW  not only like the heavy equipment , but that steam shed to me is like a living / breathing thing . can,t help to be amaized when its all huffing / puffing , then the walk in to the FORDSON TRACTOR DESPLAY  , ties it all together . hope to see you  and others again , thanks pete

• Heart 2