oliver2-44

Recommendation on Buying a DA

oliver2-44

I'm thinking about buying a DA to improve my polishing task. I currently have an older 8" Ryobi polisher/waxer that uses the cloth covers. 

Lots of things to rub out, polish and wax, Tractors, Boat, Car, Truck.

Not wanting to break the bank, but want some quality as I will definitely be using it.  

What brand/size do you have.  Likes/Dislikes. 

School me on the different types of foam pads used on the newer DA's.  

Do you use a rubbing/polishing compound with the foam pads?

I have a Harbor Fright near me and have looked at their Bauer brand DA.

I'm always a little leery about electrical tools from their.

Years ago had a friend who bought one of their grinders and it went up in flames straight out of the box.

But they do seem to have improved some of their merchandise.

Lots of never heard of China brands good/bad? on the Jungle site too. 

squonk

I got this polisher at Horror Fright. Really like it for color restoration. $100

Corded 20mm Long-Throw Random Orbit 6 in. DA Polisher

https://www.harborfreight.com/75-amp-6-in-long-throw-random-orbit-da-polisher-56367.html

For just wax removal I've used this WEN polisher for about 20 yrs.

10PMR.main_939x939.JPG?v=1569267897

https://wenproducts.com/products/10-inch-random-orbit-waxer-polisher-10pmr

• Like 1

ri702bill

Unless you are going into the detail and restoration business, the imports work OK for occasional home use.... may or may not be worth the coin for the extended warranty......

Edited by ri702bill

Racinbob

I'm watching this thread. I've been pondering one myself.

@squonk Is that Wen powerful enough for polishing compound? I'm mainly thinking my truck. It's not a tool I'd use a lot so I'd compromise some quality. With the Bauer having 10x the pony power I wonder if the Wen would cut it. Maybe a compromise between the two you have?

@oliver2-44 Some of the HF power tools are OK. Some are pure junk. I would avoid the Chicago Electric and Warrior for the most part. Personal examples. I did but a Warrior angle grinder. It'd decent for my limited needs but underpowered. I already had a Dewalt miter saw and love it but it's not a slider. I needed the capacity of a slider or radial arm so, not wanting to spend the bucks for a Dewalt, I bought a Chicago Electric slider specifically for the project thinking it will get me by. Pure 100% junk. Accuracy was impossible. I immediately returned it and when the guy at HF asked me what was wrong with it I made it perfectly clear. He just grinned and said he's heard that before. I have since purchased a Dewalt slider.........and a Dewalt radial arm saw...........but the project is done and that house is sold. Bauer is one of their better brands. I have the band saw as well as a random orbit sander. I love the band saw and the sander is fine but the lid to the dust collector refuses to stay on without rubber bands. 

I guess what I'm saying is that you need to determine your needs and how much you'll use it and go from there. You can (almost) never go wrong by spending a few more $$ and get a name. But I guess I consider the source and don't always take my own advice. :rolleyes:

squonk

@Racinbob The Wen is pretty much a wax applier and remover. No real power but does an excellent job and not as tiring as doing it by hand. There is an application and remover bonnet. The Bauer is heavy but has variable speed and you can get cutting and polishing pads for it. More for paint restoration

• Like 2

CCW

I do not use any of these.  That said generally you get what you pay for.  I always opt for a quality tool over saving a few dollars.  Have a Rockwell drill from forty years ago that is still going strong.  Also I have stopped buying battery tools for when the battery dies they are useless.  Cords are annoying but they keep on working for years.  My :twocents-02cents:

• Like 3

lynnmor
47 minutes ago, CCW said:

Also I have stopped buying battery tools for when the battery dies they are useless.  Cords are annoying but they keep on working for years.  My :twocents-02cents:

I also opt for corded tools whenever possible.  While the cord is a nuisance, the weight and bulge of a battery is as well.   Yard sales and flea markets are littered with battery powered tools, apparently they can hardly give them away.

• Like 1

Racinbob

You might want to consider Ridgid. Lifetime warranty including batteries. I purchased a Ridgid cordless drill in 2012 along with an extra battery. A few months ago I decided to contact them because one of the batteries went flaky. Not bad for a lithium battery at all. I contacted them and all they asked was what it was doing. I also mentioned the second battery was mighty old too but they knew that already. They sent me two new batteries. I also decided to purchase another identical drill.  In the mean time the switch on the original drill was getting a bit touchy so I called them on that. They said to take it to Home Depot. Without hesitation they told me to go get another one. I brought the entire kit up to them and they simply said that's it. I left there with a new drill, 2 batteries, case and charger simply by turning in a drill only. Now I'm sitting with two new drills and 4 new batteries, all with the lifetime warranty continuing. I may just see what Ridgid offers in a cordless polisher. :)

• Like 2

oliver2-44

@stevebo @AMC RULES  Don't I recall ya'll  having DA's?  Any comments to share?