Outlier

One chance to find a tractor - help me make it count

Outlier

Hey everyone, I've been following the forum and related facebook groups wistfully for about a year...

Long enough to recognize that I'll never find one of these in Eastern Washington state.

I'm envious of the photos posted of all the amazing collections - bumper to bumper, filling sheds and garages.  

You lucky people seem to pick up tractors left and right on your way to the store or home from work, and that will never happen for me.

However! Suddenly the stars have aligned and I have a brother driving from Indianapolis to Washington state for Christmas...

He's willing to bring me a horse. I've been carefully watching marketplace and craigslist, but as my window closes, I thought I'd reach out to this group for help.

Anybody know of someone willing to thin their herd, but only if it goes to a good home? 

I promise it'll be treasured. I'll park it next to my '57 210 wagon. 

I used to have a 1956 Ford 850, but had to move into town and now I "farm" a small place in a normal neighborhood.

I've got a budget of $650 +/- a bit. I need a mower deck and a snow blade, preference for a Kohler, doesn't have to be electric start.

I only need one, and doesnt have to be a showpiece, I'm pretty handy but it cant be a project.

No pending engine rebuilds, or too many parts missing since shipping will always be a problem.

I love the roundhoods. They look the most like a classic big tractor to me. (with ags, and not lawn rangers, and not really interested in anything from the 70's)

I'm definitely a fan of the tractors that have the two-part gas tank, so a little longer hood. (Think like an 854.)

Any leads? Too much to ask for my price range?

Thanks!

• Like 3
  • Excellent 3

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

Have you looked through the classified section?

Also may want to place a wanted add there. Might get more exposure...

Good luck! Always people buying and selling!!!

• Like 4

Achto

:WRS:

Just as a suggestion, I would look for something in a 1965 to early 70's if you want a worker. I love my round hoods but the square hoods are a more capable tractor IMO. If you wish to have a Kohler engine you will be looking for a 7hp or larger engine. Most 6hp & below were Tecumseh.

Edited by Achto
  • Like 7

Retired Wrencher

Outlier: :WRS: I Hope you get a response to your post. As said above you have time. I think if you look thru image section hear for a model that you really would like to own this may help your Seach. Better to do it right the first time. Good luck.

• Like 3

Ed Kennell

:text-welcomeconfetti: to the :rs:

I get your desire to to own a round hood, but if I could only have one tractor for mowing and plowing snow, I would look for a 312 hydro with the M12 Kohler and  the Eaton 1100 hydro with hydraulic lift.

BTW, no one ever stops at one  Wheel Horse.          Good Luck, and keep us updated with pictures.

• Like 9

ri702bill

First time that old Cirle Track Warrior seen daylight in a looooong time ...

E05AA622-7304-4EE1-8574-CC7EC753CA4C.jpeg

• Like 2

Rob J.
56 minutes ago, Pullstart said:

:text-welcomeconfetti:  My 502 “Putt Putt” has become a solid, reliable worker.  As Dan says, the square hoods seem to be better workers than stock round hoods,  up my 8 hp, 8 speed with 1-1/8” axles round hood has all the great parts of a little later model and the classic looks hou’re after.  Keep in mind, ‘63-‘64 steering systems improved greatly over ‘61 and ‘62!

At the end of the day, the only thing a later square hood has on me is a larger engine/transmission pulley set, for more contact patch and belt grip - but I can still pull a 10” plow.

E05AA622-7304-4EE1-8574-CC7EC753CA4C.jpeg

Well the roundies are the more unique looking tractor and can be made into a solid tractor as you stated but the bigger advantage of some mid sixties and early to mid seventies is the comfort factor for bigger guys. The long frames are more comfortable to operate for my tall lanky ass. 😂

• Like 5

953 nut

:WRS:

Judging by you choice of other vehicles mentioned I can appreciate your desire for a round hood. Indianapolis, northern Indiana and southern Michigan should yield the best chance for finding what you want as they had the majority of the early dealership network. Place an ad in our classified section here https://www.wheelhorseforum.com/classifieds/wanted/ and you may find something interesting. If one comes up be prepared to jump on it because they go quickly.

Happy hunting.

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

Treepep

Welcome to the forum and good Luck!  I have stated this before but.. I grew up in the Midwest. I live in N.C. now.  I have one horse but I have never seen another in person.  I would like more they just do not seem to exist here.  I get loads of help from the kind folks here.  Hopefully you can get a hold of one.

Best of luck in your adventure

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

The Freightliner Guy

I’d say get an rj because I love em but their hard to find them but their beautiful things and I’m lucky my great grandpa Reese had one.

• Like 2

Bill D
5 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

:text-welcomeconfetti: to the :rs:

I get your desire to to own a round hood, but if I could only have one tractor for mowing and plowing snow, I would look for a 312 hydro with the M12 Kohler and  the Eaton 1100 hydro with hydraulic lift.

BTW, no one ever stops at one  Wheel Horse.          Good Luck, and keep us updated with pictures.

I concur.  312H or 314H would be your best bet for a worker.  Great power, easy to get parts.  All around a great machine.  

• Like 3

davem1111
12 hours ago, Outlier said:

Hey everyone, I've been following the forum and related facebook groups wistfully for about a year...

Long enough to recognize that I'll never find one of these in Eastern Washington state.

I'm envious of the photos posted of all the amazing collections - bumper to bumper, filling sheds and garages.  

You lucky people seem to pick up tractors left and right on your way to the store or home from work, and that will never happen for me.

However! Suddenly the stars have aligned and I have a brother driving from Indianapolis to Washington state for Christmas...

He's willing to bring me a horse. I've been carefully watching marketplace and craigslist, but as my window closes, I thought I'd reach out to this group for help.

Anybody know of someone willing to thin their herd, but only if it goes to a good home? 

I promise it'll be treasured. I'll park it next to my '57 210 wagon. 

I used to have a 1956 Ford 850, but had to move into town and now I "farm" a small place in a normal neighborhood.

I've got a budget of $650 +/- a bit. I need a mower deck and a snow blade, preference for a Kohler, doesn't have to be electric start.

I only need one, and doesnt have to be a showpiece, I'm pretty handy but it cant be a project.

No pending engine rebuilds, or too many parts missing since shipping will always be a problem.

I love the roundhoods. They look the most like a classic big tractor to me. (with ags, and not lawn rangers, and not really interested in anything from the 70's)

I'm definitely a fan of the tractors that have the two-part gas tank, so a little longer hood. (Think like an 854.)

Any leads? Too much to ask for my price range?

Thanks!

Outlier - I have several tractors that *might* be of interest, and I'm only about 1 hour southwest of Indy.  Unfortunately I only have one snow blade so I don't want to part with that, but maybe I can help you find one.  I do have a 48" deck.  

What I'm willing to part with:

1989 416-8 (shifter, not hydro).  Repainted (not show quality) with new decals. May need some carb cleaning, a little hard to start when cold. New front tires, new battery. Aftermarket 12v fuel pump.  Trans has a tendency to pop out of second gear at times, but I don't think there's time or gumption for me to try to fix that in the next few weeks.

1992 (?) 416-H, Eaton 1100 hydro with hydro lift.  This tractor is a bit "rough" and needs some TLC, also maybe a bit hard to start but runs great. All 4 tires have leaks, one rear may have a bad valve. Needs new battery but I would swap a new one in if you want this tractor.

If you're interested I will share some pictures and more details. I'm willing to do some "light work" on one before it goes, but don't have lots of free time. I don't have a good tire changer machine, so there would be costs involved in dismounting those to fix leaks.  The other option would be, for the right price I could swap the good tires/wheels off the 416-8 onto the 416-H to remove that problem.  The rims on those are painted a nice shiny silver.

I recommend that, if you're interested, we exchange most of our info in this open thread, so others can comment on the issues and value.  The last thing I want is to sell someone something they're not happy with, and that the other forum members agree is a fair deal. :D

[Edited to add:].  I did a search on Craigslist, and there's a blade just like mine for sale for $100 in Gillespie, IL, which isn't too far off I-70 near St.Louis.  If your brother was willing, maybe he could swing by there on the way out and pick it up for you.  I see some for sale in the Classifieds on this forum, but haven't seen any that are nearby or in the travel path your brother is likely taking.

Edited by davem1111
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 3

8ntruck

@Pullstart  you still blade heavy?

• Like 1

Pullstart
52 minutes ago, 8ntruck said:

@Pullstart  you still blade heavy?

I believe I have one more 42” blade.  I’ll have to verify if it’s long or short frame.  I also have a 54” for my 953s but I’m not sure if that is willing to leave me with so many tractors for it to fit.

• Like 1

Outlier

Wow, this is great, thanks to everyone for the warm welcome.  I really appreciate the input, and already learning more just through the interaction as apposed to just silently browsing. 

@Achto , @Ed Kennell and @Bill D, can you tell me more about what you mean by a "worker," or what sets the other models ahead of the roundhoods?

@Pullstart that 502 is awesome. If I wasn't so dang far away, I'd definitely want to build something similar - aren't all the transmissions near-direct swappable?

I was afraid someone would say "only one?" because in the back of my mind, I secretly think it'd be cool to also put my little kids on an RJ. @The Freightliner Guy I have a photo of my toddler self on my grandpas RJ400 in the early 90's. Gotta stay focused on the deadline though :rolleyes:

@Retired Wrencher and @953 nut, thanks for the forum help. Didn't know about the image section, I'll check it out. I've been over to the wanted section which seemed mostly parts-focused but I'll drop in a wanted ad and see what happens!

On a related note, I have found a 854 that's posted with a deck, blade and new tires, but smokes heavily with some other issues. I still have some time, as someone mentioned, but if it comes down to it, would I be sorry if I went that way, planning a predator repower? 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

953 nut
6 hours ago, Outlier said:

On a related note, I have found a 854 that's posted with a deck, blade and new tires, but smokes heavily with some other issues. I still have some time, as someone mentioned, but if it comes down to it, would I be sorry if I went that way, planning a predator repower? 

The 854 is a very popular model and you won't find too many up for sale. If you are serious about it you need to grab it before someone else scoops it up. New tires alone would set you back a couple hundred.

The Predator is a good engine swap and you will find lots of threads on here about doing the repower. 

• Like 3

Achto
6 hours ago, Outlier said:

can you tell me more about what you mean by a "worker,

Worker = a tractor that you are going to use on a regular basis. The square hoods IMO are new enough to have some nice upgrades and are available with larger engines but old enough to not have all the extra wiring to deal with.

As far as transmission swaps, yes they can be interchanged. Some times it takes some creativity for the clutch/brake linkages.

An 854 would be a great tractor, they have the largest engine available in the short frame round hoods. A Predator swap would not be a bad choice & would only involve a few minor changes. If you have a machine shop in the area and little skill, rebuilding the Kohler K181 could also be an option. Aftermarket rebuild kits can be had for under $150 with shipping. The Kohler manual does a great job of walking you through the tear down, measuring & assembly. 

One source for rebuild kits for your research. This place offers $9.95 shipping no matter how large or small your order is.

http://www.psep.biz/store/kohler_rebuild_kits.htm

• Like 4

Pullstart

Depending on your urgency to ride it, you could keep your eyes peeled for other small equipment.  Putt Putt has a K-181 like the 854 model, it came from a gas powered air compressor that sprung a tank leak.  I got it for cheap and have never been inside the engine further than a head gasket or servicing the points.  Knock on wood!  As for the Predator, I had one on Putt Putt for a while and had issues clearing the hood.  The 854 is a tad longer hood, but I’m afraid it would be an issue still.

• Like 3

davem1111

@Outlier - I see a tractor on Craigslist, just west of Indy:   "wheel horse riding mower & attachments - $650 (avon)". (I don't think it's permitted to post the link here, but you should be able to find it...) 

16HP Vanguard, deck, blade & snowblower.

The tractor looks pretty rough and has some modifications to it.  The owner didn't post a model name/number.  Can anyone identify this model?

image.png.e79be4083b907f3aed6b50021f72057b.png

[Edit to add:].  I also see a "decent" looking C160 up in the West Chicago area:

Wheelhorse - $500 (Belvidere il)

"Selling my 1977 wheelhorse C160 Automatic Hydro,was a project tractor but need it gone."

Edited by davem1111
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 1

Ed Kennell

Could be a Raider or a C series.

• Like 1

davem1111

@Outlier - here's another one.  I know you said it "can't be a project", but this one might just need an engine and some TLC. It's a bit north of Indy:

Wheel Horse Commando 6 - $150 (Geetingsville)

image.png.71401f4ed840f2b7dd2549f29f99d2cf.png

condition: fair

This is a good parts tractor I'd say. Model # 1-4631, Commando 6. The transaxle is good. It has an 8HP Kohler rather than the original Tecumseh. The engine I'd say is shot. I think it has a broken rod. Starter is good. Carb is missing. Tires all hold air. Front tires are nice ribbed tires in great shape.

• Excellent 1

Achto
2 hours ago, Pullstart said:

As for the Predator, I had one on Putt Putt for a while and had issues clearing the hood.

If you ditch the gas tank & air cleaner that comes with the Predator, and some times the muffler you will never have an issue with clearance. Just use the gas tank that came with the tractor and install a pod air filter designed for go carts. Note: a pod filter will require drilling out the main jet a little bit. Stock main jet is usually too small IMO any way.  The breather hose from the valve cover to the air cleaner can be extended and run under the frame or add a small filter to it & mount it where ever. 

Edited by Achto
  • Like 5
  • Excellent 1

Outlier

Thanks for the additional thoughts - @Achtothe predator topic is getting real interesting, thanks for the link too. 

On 11/24/2022 at 4:22 AM, 953 nut said:

you need to grab it before someone else scoops it up

I pulled the trigger on it, might be more of a project than I was hoping. Seems like that always happens to me.

But I think its cool and it's got everything I wanted. Its on its way to me now.

Here are the pictures I was sent: tell me what you think.

IMG_3592.JPG

IMG_3594.JPG

IMG_3595.JPG

IMG_3598.JPG

IMG_3589.JPG

• Excellent 5