OldWorkHorse

New project 1973-17 aka 7317

OldWorkHorse
1 minute ago, ebinmaine said:

Great to see this going together.

It is pumped to get it done. Free time hard to come by so little by little. Still has to come apart more but then it will be coming together! :dance:

• Like 3

OldWorkHorse

Received the 7317's new stacks from @jimkemp today! Absolutely awesome! Should have got some of these awhile ago. Oh well i have them now and cant wait to have them on the running engine and hear how they sound! Thanks again Jim!

20230302_165017.jpg

20230302_165439.jpg

20230302_165111.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 5
  • Heart 2

jimkemp

Those shields are going to look very cool on them , where did you find those ?

• Thanks 1

Blasterdad
29 minutes ago, jimkemp said:

I thought the same thing, thought maybe Jim made them but guess not... They look great! :thumbs: 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
8 hours ago, jimkemp said:

8 hours ago, Blasterdad said:

I thought the same thing, thought maybe Jim made them but guess not... They look great! :thumbs: 

They're an eBay/Amazon find.

Motorcycle heat shields.   

@OldWorkHorse sent me a link where one can order chrome or black. 

• Like 2

OldWorkHorse

Yes picked them up skimming though the jungle site and they fit the 6" stack perfectly! Can't wait to have them plumbed on up on a running engine and tractor. 

• Like 3

Pullstart

Those tins are looking great!  Nice pipes too, they remind me of a vette with side pipes :lol:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

OldWorkHorse

Thanks they cleaned up pretty good I think. Got the engine polished up and painted as well. Had a few winter projects for people laying around so got them out of the way and getting ready to wipe the dust off the 73 frame and start mocking it all up again and getting some ideas and parts going before I take the transmission off to tear it open go though it sort it that's the next step on project goals. 

• Excellent 2

OldWorkHorse

Found a NOS oil filter kit for the KT17 series 2 with install instructions so that will be a nice addition to the engine also got some gaskets in to have. Set the engine on the frame again so I can start mocking things up get some ideas and numbers before I take it all apart. Going be tight, but if there is a will there is a way. Also took the stock muffler off since was in great shape and stored that, was just to clean to alter it at all, and replaced it with some header pipes I will make the custom exhaust off of to fit the new stacks. :auto-layrubber:

20230311_124630.jpg

20230311_124636.jpg

20230311_124650.jpg

20230311_124917.jpg

20230311_125059.jpg

Edited by OldWorkHorse
  • Like 4

ebinmaine
6 hours ago, OldWorkHorse said:

transmission off to tear it open

My transmission bench is ready when you are.  

3 hours ago, OldWorkHorse said:

. Going be tight

Move the battery and it'll add some much needed space.   

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

OldWorkHorse
2 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Move the battery and it'll add some much needed space.   

Battery and hopfuly fuel tank be relocated. Need to dig though my pile o parts see if I have the fender kit I need and see if it will work. And as for the trans it will be making a appearance as soon as I give it a diesel bath. Also picked up a NOS belt 5/8x82 I think I'm going to have to get a 5/8x83 to adjust the engine to still close hood. 

Edited by OldWorkHorse
  • Like 2

ebinmaine
25 minutes ago, OldWorkHorse said:

fuel tank be relocated

Once the snow melts I can look for a fender bracket for you 

• Thanks 1

OldWorkHorse
15 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

If*** the snow melts I can look for a fender bracket for you 

Lol you mean if* it ever melts 😅 just shovled my shop roof to get it ready for the next 1ft. 😐 winter was fun I just want spring now. 

• Like 2

OldWorkHorse

Does anyone know the size of the engine drive pulley on the kt17 8 speed vs the hydrostatic? Just realized they might be differnt and should probably get a deffenit answer before mocking everything up based on wrong pulley size. Looked around a bit but csnt find a for sure on hydro vs 8 speed sizes. @ebinmaine @Pullstart @JCM 

Edited by OldWorkHorse

ebinmaine

I Think 8 speed is 4"...

Hydros are larger.  4.5" or 5" ((??))

• Like 1

OldWorkHorse

Ok thos were the sizes i was finding 4 or 4.5 but nothing to confirm 100% witch one went to witch. I'll messure mine tomorrow see where it ranks in. 

OldWorkHorse

So wait, if it is a 4.5 inch does that mean I go faster?!?🤣 if so there might not be a problem here. 

8ntruck

:text-yeahthat:  A bigger drive pulley will make you go faster.  The trade off here is that you will loose some low end pulling power.

• Like 2

kpinnc

Gear drive are 4 inch and hydros use 5.25 inch drive pulleys.

With that big twin it's unlikely you'll notice any loss of power. But you will need a slightly longer drive belt and the speed of the tractor will be faster. 

You'll also need the hydro belt guard for proper clearance at the engine. 

Edited by kpinnc
  • Excellent 2

OldWorkHorse

That's good info. Guess I'll check the pulley if I keep if I'm bad with pulley math. Would the 5.25 inch pulley be to much of a speed increase? I dont mind little faster but don't need to go back to the future speeds. Will have to look into a belt gaurd. This engine was pulled from a none wheel horse toro item. So only have the 1973 10 gaurd. Might have to just modify it. 

ebinmaine
10 minutes ago, OldWorkHorse said:

That's good info. Guess I'll check the pulley if I keep if I'm bad with pulley math. Would the 5.25 inch pulley be to much of a speed increase? I dont mind little faster but don't need to go back to the future speeds. Will have to look into a belt gaurd. This engine was pulled from a none wheel horse toro item. So only have the 1973 10 gaurd. Might have to just modify it. 

You'd be fine with that speed Steve. 

Maybe 8 mph top speed. 

Stock is a little over 6. 

You could use the existing belt guard to make one that's wider at the front by using pieces of angle steel. 

You could also go with more of an off-road setup which would keep the mud reduced.  

Wrap the pulleys and attach that to the original guard.  

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

OldWorkHorse

Ok cool. Sounds like if I have the hydro pulley and I think i do I'm going to make that 1 work. Only fitting thst biggest engine tractor is the fastest 🤣 thanks for the info guys, sure I'll be needing alot more thoughout! :text-thankyouyellow:

• Like 2

OldWorkHorse

Well it's been a little bit since I last posted on this sub, but I've made a little bit of progress. The hood has been patched and the dash modified for more room for the 17 twin. The rear fuel tank and 400 series rear fenders have been installed steering wheel has been installed had to remove a old one still worse thing to remove on a WH I believe. Still have a few more things to fit and mock up and weld up once get the body and feet rest installed I'll fit the engine and belt cover then tear it all down and start refreshing it. But as of now it's coming along and a good use for all the spare parts I have hanging around. Call it the 7317 but I'm thinking Frankenstein might be a bit more fitting.

20230522_102716.jpg

20230724_142257.jpg

20230724_142524.jpg

20230731_133207.jpg

20230731_133318.jpg

• Like 3

Lee1977
On 3/12/2023 at 7:50 AM, OldWorkHorse said:

A 5.25" drive is only 1.33 more then the 4"  so the top speed should be a little over 7 MPH.  

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

OldWorkHorse
10 minutes ago, Lee1977 said:

A 5.25" drive is only 1.33 more then the 4"  so the top speed should be a little over 7 MPH.  

That's good info to know since I still havnt come across the 8 speed drive pulley. Seems I have hydro ones everywhere and I don't even have a hydro tractor 🤣

• Like 2