ebinmaine

Roll pin punches USA made

ebinmaine

Got these in the post today.  

IMG_20220902_190620137.jpg.43c6d535605961a7cf7d624dbc770695.jpg

I've tried to drive a pin or two from tough places and bent the snot outta the cheap  tools I have here...... 

So I got some better quality drivers.   

• Like 3
  • Excellent 5

Horse Newbie
45 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Got these in the post today.  

IMG_20220902_190620137.jpg.43c6d535605961a7cf7d624dbc770695.jpg

I've tried to drive a pin or two from tough places and bent the snot outta the cheap  tools I have here...... 

I’ll PM you my address so you can get them headed this way…:lol:

Nice punches !

• Haha 2

ri702bill
9 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

bent the snot outta the cheap  tools I have here

Probobly made out of Chineseium in the offshore facility...??

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, ri702bill said:

Probobly made out of Chineseium in the offshore facility...??

Yepp. 

• Like 1

formariz

Return them for a refund. Unfortunately like many others today Wilde Tools are not entirely honest about the origin of their tools. Much of their stuff is just rebranded or repackaged. I don’t believe they actually make much of their stuff. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

squonk

I have Grace punches that seem to work well.

image.jpeg.871c1dd9bd9b9a9ea53ba873c360cd44.jpeg

• Like 4

ri702bill

I have a set I got from Sears (remember them???) about 10 years ago - still great.

I DO recall seeing an article about roll pin punches that fit the standard .401 shank of an air hammer, but have not been able to find them..... sounds like a possibility for those steering wheel pins...

Bill

• Like 1

ebinmaine
54 minutes ago, formariz said:

Unfortunately like many others today Wilde Tools are not entirely honest about the origin of their tools. Much of their stuff is just rebranded or repackaged. I don’t believe they actually make much of their stuff. 

That's good information and cause for poking around on the interwebs. 

I appreciate you bringing it up. 

I'm not sure I could claim that they're being specifically

DIS-honest

about it but obviously not openly advertised. 

My own employer does similar with the sources of our private label sales as do thousands of other companies. 

You're correct about Wilde buying and selling rebranded tools as a large part of their business format.  

Some sources indicate as much as 65 to 80 percent of their sales are rebranded tools from other USA made sources.  

AND... 

The reverse is true as well.  

Wilde had been making tools for Sears since the 30s.

They appear to have made/bought/sold tools for/from/to many other USA rebranding companies as well such as:

Oregon, Menards, Western Auto, Walmart (Hyper tough), Thorsen, Snap on, Proto, SK, Cornwell...

It was Stanley tools that sold Wilde and some others sockets and wrenches that were incorrectly and illegally indicated as USA made. Stanley was fined by the FTC in 2006 after being warned twice in the 90s.  

The Wilde website and sales catalog is adamant about them selling ONLY USA made products although it's clear with a little reading some of their stuff is more cheaply made than the very high quality makers. That's not a huge surprise considering the price difference.  

30 minutes ago, squonk said:

Mike you may find it interesting...

The punches in my Wilde kit appear to be EXACTLY the same physical appearance as those in your Grace kit. 

I wonder...

Who made Who.....? 

Many of us on Redsquare buy Stens products regularly... Another popular rebranding company...

Will I return these punches immediately?

Nehh.  

Will I pay close attention to how they perform and the quality I believe they truly possess ?

Oh, you bet...

Thank you Caz, for motivating me to do some reading and learning this morning.  

• Like 1

Horse Newbie
56 minutes ago, squonk said:

Does that say “Made in U.S.A.” in that white writing on the front ?

• Like 1

squonk
8 minutes ago, Horse Newbie said:

Does that say “Made in U.S.A.” in that white writing on the front ?

The ads say 100% USA made

GRACE USA 12 Pc Roll Spring Punch Set is manufactured from the highest quality High Carbon Molbendenum Tool Steel and properly heat treated to ensure long life of the punch.  Each punch is hardened the entire length with tempered striking end and are certerless ground for complete accuracy.  We have incorporated a reverse taper from tip of punch to help prevent punch from sticking in the work piece.  The pilot point (ball on end) that fits into the hollow center of the roll pin helps prevent damage to wall of hole and pin and gives added control for driving roll pins in or out.  The Grace USA Roll Pin Punch has three identiying machine marks to help distinguish between our regular pin punches.  Punches are manufactured from hex stock vs. round which helps stabilize punch from rolling away from user.  Sizes are 1/16", 5/64", 3/32", 1/8" 5/32", 3/16", 7/32",1/4", 5/16", 3/8", 7/16", 1/2".  100% Made in the USA.

• Like 3

Shynon
1 hour ago, squonk said:

I have these also and the short set too. To get the pin moving without bending  work great.

• Like 3

Horse Newbie

I was not aware that there were “roll pin” punches, and regular punches…

wonder how many times I have damaged the wall of the piece that the roll pin goes through ? If I have ever damaged a wall, I did not notice .   

• Like 1

ri702bill

And you have to watch out for the sly trickery used on some not-made-here products. Cute packaging phrases like "assembled in USA" and "Printed in USA" (the box, not the product) come to mind....

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

peter lena

@ebinmaine still have my original  snap on , roll punch set  in the wooden slide tube , penetrating oil , 3 lb hammer , makes it seam easy , pete 

• Like 3

ebinmaine
7 minutes ago, ri702bill said:

And you have to watch out for the sly trickery used on some not-made-here products. Cute packaging phrases like "assembled in USA" and "Printed in USA" (the box, not the product) come to mind....

One of the phrases used by Wilde is "Manufactured by". Another is "Offered by". 

The difference is clear there. 

• Like 1

bc.gold

10.  J.H. Williams

Williams logo

Williams has been around since 1884. That’s a long time ago. To put it into perspective, Chester A. Arthur was in the White House, there were only 38 U.S. States, and Coca-Cola wouldn’t be invented for 2 more years. Acquired by Snap-On a few years back and now technically just Williams Tool Group, it now operates as SO’s industrial tool division. As you’ll see with several companies on our list, industrial brands are not typically marketed at the consumer level and their primary focus is on industrial sites, government, and military contracts etc. In all cases, this bodes well for the consumer as marketing costs only drive the cost of the tools up. Williams has a lot of good stuff and they’re certainly worth checking out. Be aware however, there are 2 Williams lines. One is USA made, while the other is Taiwan sourced, so be mindful before clicking buy if that’s an issue for you.

9. Carlyle

Carlyle Tools logo

Carlyle is the premium house brand for NAPA. They have a budget Evercraft line, but Carlyle is a step up. In the city and county garages of America, as well as many other places where tools are provided, Carlyle is a regular fixture. They are mostly imported tools, but the quality is good and prices are reasonable. Carlyle does have a lifetime warranty on all but torque wrenches, but last time I checked it did require a receipt. That’s a bummer, but I don’t typically shop for warranty. I hope to see some Carlyle tools for review in the future. I’m really digging their Power 90 ratchets and I’m not sure theres a more comprehensive hex bit socket set on the market than their 42 piece BSH42 set.  Online availability is poor and you’ll probably have to go to NAPA, but you can check out their products HERE.

8. Channellock

Channellock Tools logo

Channellock is another company thats been around since the beginning of measured time. Founded in 1886 as the Champion Bolt and Clipper Company by George B. DeArment, it is still owned by the DeArment family to this day. I know what you’re thinking, “everybody knows who Channellock is”. True, but this article isn’t about companies you’ve never heard of. In todays society where the big box stores drive the market, house brands are pushed beyond others, and fancy new multi-purpose pliers gain all the attention, it’s easy to forget about a true to their roots company like Channellock. Through the years Channellock pliers have maintained their true colors. Simple, high quality, American made, pliers. They aren’t flashy chrome, and they don’t have self adjusting capabilities or built in voltage detectors, but they work hard and last forever. I have 20 different pairs of them and wish I had more. Check them out HERE

7. Proto

Proto logo (New)

I routinely profess my unconditional love for Proto. I can’t help it. I got my first Proto ratchet from my dad when I was 15 and it was old then. It’s a long handled, 1/2″, J5450 I call “Big Bad John”. For my entire adult life it has gotten all the big, nasty, jobs that leave other ratchets cowering with fear, and it’s never failed. If you can’t bust a fastener with a 5450, you’d better have an impact.

The other day my wife’s grandfather, who retired as a mechanic in the late 80’s, came into my garage for the first time. He immediately picked up one of my numerous Proto ratchets and commented that Proto made great tools, but you just never see them anymore. He asked me how old it was and when I told him I bought it new last year, he looked at me like I was crazy. Being 82 and out of the business for 20 years, he really doesn’t keep up on things, but his reaction isn’t all that uncommon from people who don’t work in heavy industry where Proto is still King. For the majority of the 20th century Proto (Known as Plomb until 1948) was a widely known and trusted brand in the auto shops of America, but in 1970 they turned their focus almost entirely on the industrial market and never looked back.

Today’s Proto is still the high quality stuff it always was, but they just don’t market themselves to consumer level markets much. Owned by Stanley/B&D since 1984, Proto is their top shelf industrial line opposite the Mac line of premium mechanics tools (that’s where the marketing $’s go). They are predominantly USA made and import items are very few and far between. In some cases a Proto item will be near or completely identical to a Mac item in all but color, for half the price. You can view their lineup HERE

6. Armstrong

Armstrong Tools logo

Armstrong is another old brand thats still thriving. Founded in Chicago in 1890 as Armstrong Bros. Tool  Company, it operated in recent history as Danaher’s industrial line opposite their Matco mechanics tool division. Armstrong was rolled into Apex Tool Group in 2010 while Matco was retained as sole property of Danaher, but the 2 lines still share many traits. As with Proto/Mac and Williams/Snap-On, Armstrong offers predominately USA made quality on par with the tool trucks in many cases, at a significantly more affordable price. Armstrong is known for their very unique looking ratchets which are excellent quality, but when you mention Armstrong, a lot of times you realize many people have forgotten they exist.

Armstrong Rat

I’d love to see some armstrong reviews here at TIA, but in the mean time you’ll have to check them out HERE.

5. Martin Tools

Martin Tools logo

When’s the last time you were on a tool forum or talking shop in your buddy’s garage and someone recommended a Martin tool? Exactly. Founded in 1951 and based in Arlington, TX, Martin is a family owned, multi-national, manufacturer who in addition to industrial hand tools, also manufactures Sprockets, Pulley/Conveyer parts, material handling, and power transmission products. I knew of none of this beyond their tools prior to this article, but all the Martin tools I’ve ever used were nice quality and USA made. Check them out HERE

4. Blackhawk

Blackhawk Article Title

If you read my article about Blackhawk a couple weeks back (If not you can read it HERE) then you know a lot of what I’m going to say here. Blackhawk has a rich history and their mid-century stuff is some of the most sought after collector tools out there. But while they days of being a mainstay in the auto part stores of the country may be gone, Blackhawk is still around and still making some great tools. Today they exist as Proto’s “budget” industrial line and offer many American made tools. Pretty much anything with a ratcheting mechanism is Taiwan sourced, but regardless of Country of Origin, it’s all good stuff. I’ve said it at least 100 times and I’ll say it once more, Blackhawk sockets and combo wrenches are the best value in their respective categories, bar none. You can get a 17 piece, USA made, set of Blackhawk combos, with ASD open ends like their Proto cousins at Zoro Tools right now for under $120 shipped. You can’t beat that anywhere for a new set. I’ve recommended them I couldn’t tell you how many times, and at least half a dozen times I’ve received follow up communications from people who are tickled to death with what the got for the price.

3. Wright Tools

Wright Tools logo

Founded in 1927, Barberton, OH based Wright Tool is a privately owned company that focuses on the industrial market. They produce very high quality tools on par with other high end industrial brands, but unlike most of the other industrial brands which operate as an arm of the big boys, Wright is a smaller, stand alone company. In 2010 Wright introduced their now popular WrightGrip wrench design which offers the benefits of Snap-On’s FlankDrive+ design, for a fraction of the price. They produce 100% American made tools, and in this day and time, thats something worth supporting. Wright is another company I’d love to see here at TIA, but for now you’ll have to check out their lineup HERE

2. Wilde Tool

WILDE-RED LOGO ON BLACK_REGISTRATION

It wouldn’t surprise me in the least if you’ve never heard of Wilde Tool at all. Founded in 1922, Hiawatha, KS based Wilde Tool is a manufacturer of high quality, American made, tools. While their name may not ring a bell, if you, your father, or even your grandfather, bought tools from Sears, Montgomery Ward’s, JC Penny’s, or even Western Auto, theres a real good chance you’ve had a Wilde made tool in your hands. You see, Wilde has been the OEM for many house brand products over the years, in fact, it’s been a majority of their business. Known primarily for their quality pliers, chisels, and pry bars, Wilde offers a wide range of items. They sell products they make in house, as well as rebranded items made by others, but all are USA made quality. Affordable too. Their online catalog is worth a look.

1. Lang Tools

Lang logo 2

The most unloved, yet deserving of love, company on our list is Lang Tools. Founded in 1932, Racine, Wisconsin based Lang is currently under it’s 4th generation of family ownership. They owe a little of their obscure nature to themselves though. They previously operated 4 brands, a lot of branding for a small company to handle. The best known of these was Kastar, while the other 2….well, I’ve never even heard of them. Last year they wised up and consolidated all 4 brands under the Lang banner which I feel will help boast their brand recognition. Like Wilde, even if you’ve never heard of them, you’ve used their tools. Remember those old school ratcheting box end wrenches everyone had before the ratcheting combos came out? Lang invented them, and while they seem a little antiquated now, they were hot sellers at one time. Lang also manufacturers virtually every thread restorer or “chaser” made in America. Whether you buy the 48 piece set from Sears for $65, or the 48 piece set from Mac for $125, or the 48 piece set from Snap-On for $129, they all came from the same production line and they’re all made by Lang. Don’t send me any strongly worded messages about how the Snap-On version is forged at a secret foundry in an undisclosed location near the earth’s core by holocaust surviving leprechauns and christened in unicorn tears either, because (to quote Jules Winfield) “we both know that **** ain’t the truth”. Check out Lang’s catalog HERE.

• Like 2

The Freightliner Guy

What are those punches used for cuz I’ve seen em before in my grandpas garage full of wood working tools 

• Like 1

tunahead72
14 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

3 hours ago, formariz said:

Return them for a refund. Unfortunately like many others today Wilde Tools are not entirely honest about the origin of their tools. Much of their stuff is just rebranded or repackaged. I don’t believe they actually make much of their stuff. 

@ebinmaine  Eric, I'm a little confused here...  I read your first post as saying that you bought the Wilde punches to replace the cheaper lower quality punches you had earlier, is that correct?  And are you having any problems with the Wilde set?

• Like 2

ebinmaine
7 minutes ago, tunahead72 said:

@ebinmaine  Eric, I'm a little confused here...  I read your first post as saying that you bought the Wilde punches to replace the cheaper lower quality punches you had earlier, is that correct?  And are you having any problems with the Wilde set?

I've not tried them yet.  

They are most certainly a much heavier better made set than I had.  

See @squonk's description post above. 

I have the same set I believe.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

tunahead72
38 minutes ago, bc.gold said:

4. Blackhawk

Blackhawk Article Title

If you read my article about Blackhawk a couple weeks back (If not you can read it HERE) then you know a lot of what I’m going to say here. Blackhawk has a rich history and their mid-century stuff is some of the most sought after collector tools out there. But while they days of being a mainstay in the auto part stores of the country may be gone, Blackhawk is still around and still making some great tools. Today they exist as Proto’s “budget” industrial line and offer many American made tools. Pretty much anything with a ratcheting mechanism is Taiwan sourced, but regardless of Country of Origin, it’s all good stuff. I’ve said it at least 100 times and I’ll say it once more, Blackhawk sockets and combo wrenches are the best value in their respective categories, bar none. You can get a 17 piece, USA made, set of Blackhawk combos, with ASD open ends like their Proto cousins at Zoro Tools right now for under $120 shipped. You can’t beat that anywhere for a new set. I’ve recommended them I couldn’t tell you how many times, and at least half a dozen times I’ve received follow up communications from people who are tickled to death with what the got for the price.

@bc.gold  This is all from toolsinaction.com, correct?  I noticed this list and the link to his Blackhawk review is from 2014, and I'm sure some of the information has changed since then, I wonder if this list has ever been updated?

• Like 2

formariz

Unfortunately for the public and fortunately for many companies we are now essentially brainwashed into looking to buy cheap goods , having a disposal mentality and having less and less skills which are conducive to knowing and buying a good tool regardless of cost. The realization of the cost of a good tool lasts only a few seconds as one pays for it. It is soon forgotten as one enjoys its quality, service and dependability while it is used. It is cherished and always looked at with pleasure even when not used. I even sometimes just pick up a tool and sit down with a cup of coffee looking at it and appreciating its quality and the thoughtfulness and responsibility that went into making it. 
 The cheap tool on the other hand always reminds us of its cost as it frustrates and wastes our time as we attempt to perform any task. Even when we put or throw them aside the mere occasional sight of them reminds us of the actual cost which is always more than what we paid for them. 
  I remember when I was rather young perhaps around 10 my grandfather has a Stanley #2 smoothing plane and an Arkansas sharpening stone . Those two items came at a REAL STEEP price over there . Those two items were treated with an almost religious reverence everyone being absolutely forbidden to touch them but him. They are now in my possession over 100 years later being used on a regular basis ,and will be in my great grandchildren’s possession  another 100 years from now. 

Many companies are taking advantage of the “made in USA” lure to dishonestly increase their profits. Some are caught many are not. It is a smear on the good name and reputation of not only this Country but also on its people who innovated and produced perhaps the very best and most ingenious tools ever produced regardless of their application. I was not born in this country but regard their actions as an insult and never go away quietly when I am the victim of such fraud. 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

The Freightliner Guy

That’s what I do with my carpenters brace I sit down on a three wheeler while drinking a water and just looking at the high quality tool I was sent by a member of this forum 

• Like 2

The Freightliner Guy

And then I look over to the set of screwdrivers I have that broke from simple tasks 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Snoopy11
3 hours ago, ri702bill said:

I have a set I got from Sears (remember them???) about 10 years ago - still great.

Yessir... I've got a drawer full of them from Sears. I seriously doubt that they will ever fail me...

Don

• Like 1

ri702bill
8 minutes ago, Snoopy11 said:

I seriously doubt that they will ever fail me...

'cause Sears did for me ...

• Haha 2