giddyap

It's my thing #6

giddyap

After I sold my 314-8 (Sold to a good home){Wheel Horse tractors} I threw some of the money at a non-running C-120 which was to be this project. Taking it's place is the round hood I decided not to build in favor of the Black Hood which was  Its my thing #5. To avoid confusion the photos are in the order I just described and then a few photos of the new #6. There are a few changes between the old and new round hoods. BTW

DSC08718.JPG

DSC08758.JPG

DSC08416.JPG

DSC08640.JPG

DSC08782.JPG

DSC08781.JPG

• Like 7

ebinmaine

Got a general direction yet?

Power train? 

SylvanLakeWH

:popcorn:

• Like 1

Achto

:popcorn:

giddyap
3 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Got a general direction yet?

Power train? 

At the moment the C-120 is on hold. Harbor Freight had a sale on the Predator engines so I picked up a 212 for this 312 frame / round hood. I thought I could slap it together in short time. Hopefully I will be pushing dirt  by the end of the month.:whistle:   

• Like 4

giddyap

Yesterday I gave up having the convenience of a hinged hood. It's now on the backburner and maybe an idea will pop in my head, but I'm fine with just holding the hood in place with wing nuts. I added a 1/8 x1.5x3 box tube spacer to raise the seat and the fenders will be braced. No need for a battery so the space was perfect for the flange bearing. This is a real time post so more photos will come when progress is made. 

DSC08787.JPG

DSC08789.JPG

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

peter lena

@giddyap  notice the opportunity? empty battery tray area ? front bolt , next to throttle cable , thats the battery ground cable point . look down on your frame , add a battery cable ,clutch pedal side . engine mount hole , oblong rust area , dielectric grease , serrated washers , insure engine grounding , to rectifier , on to headlights . btw like that steering column flange bearing , pete  

• Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

peter lena

@Snoopy11  , @giddyap thanks for the return , just things that I  have done / added in my horses,  soon as I  see a similar set up , just telling you what I  have done to eliminate a problem, personally really enjoy telling  / sugestining  a reliable fix. sitting at the puter , central a/c , ceiling fan ,  ain't life a hoot ?  pete

• Excellent 1
  • Haha 1

giddyap

Houston, we have a problem. (Apollo 13) and a problem with my project. Matter of fact it was the reason I built the black hood over this  round hood. Its the angle of the steering wheel column in the first photo. I like the second photo so I'm thinking a universal joint. BTY once again I am using detachable steering wheel 

DSC08794.JPG

DSC08793 (2).JPG

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

giddyap
35 minutes ago, peter lena said:

ain't life a hoot ? 

Indeed it is. I especially like being on top of the food chain. 

• Haha 3

Pullstart

You must not have bears in OH :laughing-rolling:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

giddyap

This morning I fitted the universal. I have a good idea how I will secure the outside shaft. The steering wheel position looks 100% better.

@Pullstart  NE Ohio has bears. Recently one was spotted in the backyard where I grew up.

DSC08798.JPG

DSC08795.JPG

DSC08796.JPG

• Like 6

Pullstart

What supports the top side of the shaft… or is it infinite tilt?  :lol:

giddyap
1 hour ago, Pullstart said:

What supports the top side of the shaft

Just a simple U bolt. With no room for a flange bearing, the shaft will rotate inside a piece of pipe. The U will be bolted to an overhead angle. This is the next step I hope to complete today. Then we will see how the Predator -fits

DSC08800.JPG

• Excellent 6

Pullstart

Perfect!

• Like 1

Tractorhead

Great solution👍

• Like 2

giddyap

The universal joint pretty much consumed my whole day. It's done but doesn't feel right so tomorrow I will give it a once over for a second time. It was a lot of work just to please my eye. And then I unpacked the 212 Predator to see what lays ahead and was pleased to see it's overall appearance. My priority is to get her working with a front blade pushing dirt to finish my backyard landscape project   

DSC08802.JPG

DSC08805.JPG

• Like 3
  • Excellent 3

giddyap
20 hours ago, Tractorhead said:

Great solution

@Tractorhead  Here is the U bolt securing the top of the steering column.

First and foremost, the sloppy workmanship is my skill level and I'm proud of it. I like expressing myself somewhat like a rug rat trying to color inside the lines. 

The first U bolt I tried was a perfect fit but at a 1/4 inch it was too weak. This 5/16 is a little big and needed 3, 1/2 inch nuts as spacers to clear any confusion. My cutout is so big, A Yucca plant managed to sneak into the picture. I wanted to mention all this so that @Achto and the many others here at Redsquare can sleep nights knowing I pose no threat when it comes to building excellence   

DSC08807.JPG

• Haha 5

Achto
4 minutes ago, giddyap said:

the many others here at Redsquare can sleep nights knowing I pose no threat when it comes to building excellence

Excellence always shows in your finished products.:thumbs2:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tractorhead

Aaah uuuh - ok, that wasn‘t visible.

the flane mount you did on the lower section seems to be a great solution.

How about another Flange Bearing for the Top mount?

that would work nice and fits tight enough.

i believe the Shaft was a 1/2“ Steelpipe, if i remind me correct.

giddyap
16 hours ago, Tractorhead said:

that would work nice and fits tight enough.

I believe the Shaft was a 1/2“

Yes a second flange on the top would be perfect but I only had one. 

The shaft is 3/4 inch 

Lucky for me the hood will hide this mess :lol:

Tractorhead
20 minutes ago, giddyap said:

Yes a second flange on the top would be perfect but I only had one. 

The shaft is 3/4 inch 

Lucky for me the hood will hide this mess :lol:

😂

I wouldn‘t say it‘s a mess  and as long as it is with some gap to not jam.

but you be right is was gently hidden.. 😎

Huh i have one here, it was really cheap but massive and heavy.

I payed 18$ for that Bearing with a zerk fitting but the Weight is heavy (4 Kilos).

peter lena

@giddyap ,  good transition on that , don,t forget to add  another ground cable from that battery location , ground cable bolt , to your engine / chassis point , insuring a solid ground for any related electrical  hook ups , pete  

• Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

giddyap

I have a pair of these wheels from the C120. I have never seen them before. If they are rare, are they worth their weight in gold? Also the weld on, steering wheel adapter is loose because it is held with one pin. If I smear the shaft with "Goop" glue it will be permanent. Should I?278042888_4598256933612473_1426477044285145520_n.jpg?stp=dst-jpg_p720x720&_nc_cat=110&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=c48759&_nc_ohc=FXHggfsbkFgAX9TSJ69&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-1.xx&oh=00_AT9uRNdO5HZfF0qT5e9S5sD9fLINYCeOXB3Tid5tHzI2eA&oe=62E36B72

• Like 1

giddyap

My new favorite paint is Rust-oleum 2X Gloss Apple Red. Does not come close to any factory paint                                                                                      

DSC08811 (2).JPG

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2