Snoopy11

Needing a little help... 416-8

Snoopy11

Hey guys,

SO... I picked up a 416-8 today, that has the Kohler K341.

I took the motor off of the machine... and got it turning over nicely... good compression... etc...

I am attempting to get the engine running off of the machine...

I hooked it up to a battery that I have in the shop... positive power to starter post... ground clamped on cleaned bolt on crankcase.

Turns over WONDERFULLY!!!

Only problem is... I get no spark...

There is 1 orange wire that runs from the points to the positive coil terminal, and 1 wire going from the condenser to the negative side of the coil...

So... I'm not exactly sure where I should go from here... and am needing some electrical advice... as... it... SHOULD have fire under these conditions... I would think...? :scratchead:

Are there any tests that I should run to diagnose?

I'd appreciate you guys' input.

Don

Edited by Snoopy11

Snoopy11

Adding:

@richmondred01... @Jeff-C175... @ebinmaine...

I should add... I did clean the points with paper... I didn't try sandpaper or anything like that.

Don

Edited by Snoopy11

gwest_ca

The orange wire should go from the points to the (-) coil terminal and the condenser should also go to the coil (-). The body of the condenser needs to be grounded.

You need battery power to the coil (+) terminal.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Snoopy11
1 minute ago, gwest_ca said:

The orange wire should go from the points to the (-) coil terminal and the condenser should also go to the coil (-). The body of the condenser needs to be grounded.

You need battery power to the coil (+) terminal.

I can't tell you how much I appreciate that. I actually just put it back together like I found it... bad idea... 'cause the wiring is REALLY messed up on this machine. :blink:

Hopefully, I can get some fire out of it... IF nothing is fried... :banana-rock:

Don

Snoopy11

HELL YEAH! THIS FORUM ROCKS!!!!!!! :banana-rock: @gwest_ca YOU ARE THE MAN!!! :bow-blue: THANK-YOU THANK-YOU THANK-YOU!!!

WE'VE GOT FIRE!!!! KOHLER 341 BACK In business!!! :banana-dance:

@davem1111... you aren't going to want this tractor back now that it runs... will you? :hide:  :crying-pink:

Now... I just have to get busy on all the other electrical stuff... :banana-wrench: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :laughing-rolling:

Don

• Excellent 2

gwest_ca

Don't know which one you have - they are wired differently

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Snoopy11
5 minutes ago, gwest_ca said:

they are wired differently

Yep, I'm going to start digging into that at some point in the future. Looks like just about everything is going to need new wires...

I'm creating a thread about the restoration now.

Don

davem1111
21 hours ago, Snoopy11 said:

@davem1111... you aren't going to want this tractor back now that it runs... will you? :hide:  :crying-pink:

Absolutely not!  That baby is yours now. Happy that you got it to fire! :greetings-clappingyellow:

• Thanks 1