2003Chevy

Way past a key way fix - Raider 8

2003Chevy

Hello

Bought for almost nothing a Raider 8 last year just before snow fell.  Drove it off the trailer, towards the shed, when it just stopped.  I figured, oh boy! the key way issue I have read about...  Pushed it into back of shed and left it there.

Digging everything out now, and pulled the Raider out.  Well....it is slightly more than just the key way.  Looking at the grease and weathering, this has been broken for a while.  Do not how it moved before finally stopping.  What held that wheel/hub on?  It slid-fell right off when I jacked it up.

Now I need to find and get one inch (I think) axle and one inch wheel hub. 

This means I am going to need to remove the tranny, open it to replace things, right?.  The transmission is territory I have not traveled into, so at some point this summer when I dive in, please pardon the questions I am sure I will be posting.

Today's questions --- 1)WHERE do I get a replacement axle and replacement hub???   2) this much damage to axle and hub, what are the chances more problems inside the transmission itself?

I like this little tractor and would like to see it whole and working.  I've briefly had a couple different Wheel Horse machines, but I found others who wanted them more than me and who I thought could and would do better at keeping and restoring them.  This one has no attachments, tho it does have most of the mule drive for a mower, but I still think it is a keeper for me if I can get this axle/hub/transmission thing resolved.

Thank you!

{rayg}

Ray Grabowski, Jr.

Erie, PA

IMG_5406a.jpg

IMG_5407a.jpg

IMG_5409a.jpg

IMG_5410a.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Sad 4

ebinmaine

@stevasaurus @Racinbob @dclarke 

We may have a record broken hub here folks!

Nice one. 

5 hours ago, 2003Chevy said:

1)WHERE do I get a replacement axle and replacement hub???   2) this much damage to axle and hub, what are the chances more problems inside the transmission itself?

Place an ad here on Redsquare. 

Also contact Lincoln at A to Z Tractor in PA by PHONE. I highlight that because I personally have an easier time contacting Lincoln by using my voice. 

More stuff broken....?

Maybe?

Doesn't matter really. The parts are out there. One just needs to know where to go poking around.  

Lowell and Joette at Wheelhorse Parts and More have all the gaskets bearings seals. 

Follow Steve's transmission videos and you'll have a neat little adventure in transmission repair. 

At minimum you'll need:

One axle. 

One hub. 

Case gasket. 

All four seals. 

Shifter boot. 

New set screws for both hubs.  

Upon disassembly and thorough cleaning, carefully inspect every bearing. Particular attention paid to the inner and outer axle bearings. 

• Like 7
  • Excellent 2

ri702bill

Yep, no amount of JB Weld is going to fix that. A couple of suggestions - get two new hubs, but not the starfish style like the broken one. My 854 came with 1 inch round hubs - much stronger. I also add another setscrew 90 degrees to the original - locate the hub flush with the axle shaft and secure it with the original screw over the key. remove the new screw and use a 5/16" drill bit to "dimple" the shaft - this gives the second screw a slight recess to bite into and the burr it raises will not interfere with hub removal in the future. Judging by the chains on the tires, I assume this happened while plowing - check the frame plate where the Unidrive bolts on for cracks when you remove the transmission - hope it does not look like this one... strap in, enjoy the ride...

Damaged Frame.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

squonk

A trip to the big show is in order. There will be a pile of transmissions there. Replace the trans, get a hub, fix that broken one at your leisure. 

• Like 7
  • Excellent 1

953 nut

:WRS:

Not sure what your plans for next weekend are but the annual Wheel Horse Collectors Club show is going on Friday and Saturday. Great show with a huge flea market of new and used parts and a whole lot of great people.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/WheelHorseCollectorsClub/posts/

This thread by @stevasaurus will show you what is needed to bring the transmission back to life.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

Racinbob

Erics parts list is complete and don't let the thought of opening up the transmission intimidate you. They are really quite simple. Steves video is excellent and this will also help.

Transmission Gear Uni-Drive 1958-1982 SM HR #A-1392.pdf - Manual - RedSquare Wheel Horse Forum

I would suggest that you flush it out before opening it up. I think you'll find that most hubs with a 1" bore are like the one you have but apparently not all of them. No worries though. That missing piece of webbing is unrelated to the hub failure.

Am I seeing things or is there a crack in the transmission housing? 

00000.jpg.abb1d5aa8741197b9751d5884f4a10bc.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Handy Don
44 minutes ago, Racinbob said:

Good eyes. Given the way that hub got broken, reasonable to expect the axle housing to have suffered as well.

1 hour ago, squonk said:

A trip to the big show is in order. There will be a pile of transmissions there. Replace the trans, get a hub, fix that broken one at your leisure. 

Decent used transmission will be ~$100. Yes, I know that's more than you paid for the tractor, @2003Chevy

Edited by Handy Don
  • Like 2

2003Chevy
45 minutes ago, Racinbob said:

00000.jpg.abb1d5aa8741197b9751d5884f4a10bc.jpg

THAT QUESTION SCARED ME --- I just went outside, jacked it up again, removed the wheel/it just fell off again... and the LINE was grease.  No break or crack!  WHEW!   THANK YOU FOR NOTICING THOUGH! 

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
20 minutes ago, 2003Chevy said:

THAT QUESTION SCARED ME

In all seriousness...

Don't let ANYTHING bug you about these machines. 

Nothing is unrepairable. 

Parts are readily available. 

Knowledge, the same. 

If it's broke. No worries. Replace it. 

• Like 5

Racinbob
1 hour ago, 2003Chevy said:

THAT QUESTION SCARED ME --- I just went outside, jacked it up again, removed the wheel/it just fell off again... and the LINE was grease.  No break or crack!  WHEW!   THANK YOU FOR NOTICING THOUGH! 

Glad to hear that Chev. :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Your 1972 Raider 8 has the #5086 Wheel Horse transmission.  It has 1" axles and a 4 pinion differential.  The axle (2) is part #101880 and is 11 5/8" long.  

Actually, this thread is closer to what you will find inside...since you have the hi/low range in your trans.  The difference between the #5091 is only 1 1/8" and 8 pinion differential.

• Like 4

oldlineman

Don't be intimidated  by this project. I opened my first one last year (1989 414-8 ) to repair broken diff. bolts, and with the help from several folks here and some parts from great venders here completed it with great results.  Bob

• Like 1

8ntruck

Yup.  Don't bescared about working on your Wheel Horse.  Collectively, the members on this forum have probably broken and fixed just about everything on a Wheel Horse that can be broken, and they will give advice to you - not only on how to fix it, but how to break it, too.

• Haha 4

roadapples

I highly recommend the BIG SHOW. Great prices and deals to be had. You'll probably come home with another tractor and this will go on the back shelf...

But when you tear this one apart along with what others have said take plenty of pictures as you go. Looks scarier than it is...

Edited by roadapples
  • Like 4

kpinnc

Agreed with everyone here- these trannies are pretty easy to tear down and ressemble. Go for it!

If I can rebuild one, anybody can! :blink:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2003Chevy

Hello all.  An update——

I did drive to the show on Thursday afternoon and was there on Friday from “opening” until about 2:30.   Chambersburg/Gettysburg area is only 5 or 6 hours from extreme NW PA……I actually live closer to (and see) Canada, 20 miles across Lake Erie, than I do the rest of PA.  

I bought a complete appropriate replacement transmission that also came with hubs on both axles.   I also bought a replacement hub for the one I have that is broken.  I did not find a replacement 1” axle——there were a lot of the thicker ones though.  

I also picked up a two spoke steering wheel and dash assembly for a 1257 that I used to own which I gave to a younger guy who really was into fixing it up.   He has it running now and mows the yard at his parents with it regularly.  This same guy is a welder and said he wants me to give him that bad axle so he can fill in the hole and machine in new key way.  I’m fine with that as in my book it is already broken-so who cares if it gets broken more. 

I will be swapping in the “new” transmission this week I hope

General question—- I saw so many different models.   But I did not see an actual “Raider 8” (LOTS of Raiders but no 8) nor did I see a 1257 like the one I gave to the other guy.  Were these less popular and now less common tractors? 

I also tried to find a hood and some shields/parts for an RJ-58 I have.   Holy cow the parts I found were expensive.   Right now it has a super modified hood for some way newer WH on it.   I need to focus more on getting stuff for that machine!  

I will post some pictures when I do the swap.

THANK YOU ALL!

(rayg)

• Like 3

Handy Don

Yep, I concur on the shopping. Fewer vendors, smaller selections, less competition on many of the scarcer items and, so, higher prices.

Good news for me as it kept me from buying stuff that struck my fancy but that I really didn't need and let me focus on the "high priority items" on my list. And yes, I succeeded!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2003Chevy

Finale, more or less

Made the transmission swap this afternoon.  No problems except how heavy those dang things are!  Some diddling with the carb and we will be good to go, ALMOST.  Discovered that this poor tractor has led a tough life... beyond the broken axle and wheel hub, I found that some prior owner welded the upright frame (under the dash) on the left side, and SHOULD have on the right side.  ANYONE ELSE EVER SEE BREAKS LIKE THIS?   I prepped it for a quick trip to welder this weekend--then we will be set.

Later, I will tackle the axle replacement....

Thank you all!

{rayg]

IMG_5748.JPG

IMG_5746.JPG

IMG_5744.JPG

IMG_5739.JPG

IMG_5738.JPG

• Like 2

Handy Don
32 minutes ago, 2003Chevy said:

ANYONE ELSE EVER SEE BREAKS LIKE THIS?

Yes, breaks like that are not unheard of due to repetitive stress from using the implement lift arm with very heavy load or using downforce on a plow or grader.

A simple bead weld will not add strength. If you will need more strength, an extra layer of metal overlapping the crack will do it.

• Like 2

rjg854

Yes my Raider 12 had the same stress crack before it was welded. You have to expect this when these tractors are as old as they are.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
14 minutes ago, rjg854 said:

Yes my Raider 12 had the same stress crack before it was welded. You have to expect this when these tractors are as old as they are.

I have stress 😬😬 cracks too. 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

rjg854
6 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

That may be true Eric, but we're talking about tractors here  :ychain:

• Haha 5

kpinnc
On 6/30/2022 at 8:16 AM, ebinmaine said:

Now I have to clean my monitor again... Not to mention everything I tried to post in response did NOT read the way I meant it! :lol:

• Haha 1

SylvanLakeWH
On 6/30/2022 at 8:16 AM, ebinmaine said:

Visuals!!!

Again with the visuals!!!

:scared-eek:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

ebinmaine
48 minutes ago, kpinnc said:

Now I have to clean my monitor again... Not to mention everything I tried to post in response did NOT read the way I meant it! :lol:

:ROTF:

You're welcome 😁

• Like 1