sjoemie himself

Murray to IH 1568

Pullstart

Looking great Mark!  @squonk says there’s two kinds of glass fuel bowls.  Those that leak, and those that will.  I still love the look of them, and K&B Horse Parts makes a great one!  Maybe @76c12091520h can ship internationally?  

• Like 2

ebinmaine
9 hours ago, Pullstart said:

Looking great Mark!  @squonk says there’s two kinds of glass fuel bowls.  

Those that leak, and those that will. 

I've had the same experience over the years. 

Perhaps I should try one from Brian.  

Mark. This rig is looking excellent!!! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

sjoemie himself

Thanks @Pullstart@squonk wasn't wrong on this one :P

Gotta say though it's about 25% my own fault, or lack of knowledge perhaps. 

The seller listed this as having a 3/8" thread on the tank side and 1/4" on the outlet. So the plan was to screw in a 1/4" brass fitting, shove the fuelhose on and 'bob's your uncleTurns out that's incorrect. The fuel line size is 1/4" but the threads in the outlet are (I think) 7/16-24.

The plan was to find a brass fitting with the right threads and solder a copper 6mm (1/4") tube in it where I could put the fuelhose on.

Turns out brass fittings are NLA and/or replaced by a metal/aluminium alloy that's impossible to solder.. or atleast I could'nt get it to stick.

Since I was fed up with it leaking I opted for the simple shutoff valve. Yes the glass bowl looks better but would have been barely visible anyway.

• Like 4

sjoemie himself

Cheers! 

20230826_100727.jpg.ac414d69a96d18f070719aac3b188698.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 5
  • Heart 2

Pullstart

Are we gonna see more of the show Mark?  Awesome!  :orcs-cheers:

• Like 4

sjoemie himself
On 8/26/2023 at 1:40 PM, Pullstart said:

see more

Did ya find the pics?

Did a little maintenance on the mini IH 1468 today. Straigtened the pulley on the gearbox since it seemed something got jammed in there at some point in time and bent the flanges out a bit. Still not perfect but much better than before. Also, three new pulleys and a new drivebelt were installed.

Old ones were crusty and bearings were shot.

Also the pvc flat idler pulley had some flat spots in it from being stuck and the drivebelt wearing a groove in it.

20230829_135837.jpg.0632f3f0374504e1bca1c18a317c0340.jpg

20230829_135850.jpg.2886e03cfb9659891bb63628b15664d3.jpg

Ordered Murray part numbers and got B&S parts which are identical. I'm not complaining.

20230831_114547.jpg.6fee92c8dcd192bbd296c66331035392.jpg

Also new belt because the old one had seen better days.

20230829_135919.jpg.6e23edb9581a4c173cb1a8515e1901e0.jpg

20230831_114645.jpg.cc4071a5a2dd9a3e2e0fbcc9b5ea4713.jpg

Last but not least installed some new sparkplugs in hopes that would help the engine run a bit smoother. Old plugs were totally black/full of soot which to me indicates it's running rich(?).

Can't really find out how to change the mixture on this carb but as a precaution also ordered a new airfilter and pre-filter. 

Choke seems to work okay and carb has been rebuilt fairly recently. 

Any input would be appreciated. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

sjoemie himself

Took the mini International out for a spin tonight and drove to where my girlfriends horse is parked to do some manure hauling again. 

There and back is about 1.5 miles total. It did fine and the new belt and pulleys seemed to have helped quiet it down a bit.

20230831_204445.jpg.899c1cc711b3ea8532edaeeded0bcae6.jpg

Even crossed some substantial puddles, about a foot deep, and it did'nt even flinch. 

Knowing it CAN do it is something else than really doing it. Also found that despite the narrow front wheels it doesn't dig in as much as what I had anticipated.

It probably helped that I left the front weights at home on this trip.

Only thing I definately need to change is the seat. It's hard mounted and very unforgiving, no bueno when driving long(er) distances.

20230831_210146.jpg.de053afe3c97b5afa5b0a6dfd9f39448.jpg

Also lost my brake drum along the way but was lucky enough to find it again on my way home. Have to look into what happened there.

20230831_204513.jpg.906fa473d4c2a8ab29370f147bfd7869.jpg

Another thing I noticed regarding the throttle and/or carb is that the engine did'nt want to come back to idle again once I drove full throttle for a while.

Seems to me there's something not quite right yet.

• Like 5
  • Excellent 1

sjoemie himself

More maintenance today. New air- and prefilter came in and I installed them this morning.

Can you guess which one's the new one? :law-policered:

20230901_110455.jpg.8713682b960a5d597fbbd74980165908.jpg

With foam filter installed. What do you do with that? Keep it dry (as is) or lube it up with filter-oil?

20230901_110629.jpg.681b32a4523130bb76ee43b72d327bb7.jpg

• Like 1

19richie66

I pit a couple drips around the prefilter and then squeeze it out. I like a light coat of oil on it all o er. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

sjoemie himself

New parts arrived today:

-hydraulic pump

-pulley 155mm/6.1" 

-taperlock

-filter

Still waiting on:

-bearing block (for the pump)

-coupler (for pump/bearing block)

20230921_204756.jpg.0b895a4bd6af92a76cb0060a03023f3a.jpg

• Like 4

Tonytoro416

Oh taperlock bearings.  Until one has fought them nightly in a diecasting plant you can’t truly appreciate them lol. 

• Like 2

sjoemie himself

@Tonytoro416 I have'nt had that pleasure..yet.. any advice on how to make (un)installing them more enjoyable?

Took the mini IH outside to play today. Did'nt go as planned. Although I did cover about half of the horse paddock before I called it quits.

Where before the aircleaner maintenance the B&S seemed to be running rich it now seems to be running lean??

It is surging pretty bad and will sputter and die unless I pull out the choke halfway.

Any advice would be appreciated. 

20230924_144511.jpg.346ec288cebb31c076fbb17475ed54a5.jpg

20230924_144532.jpg.4dbf0121c7704ec41804f5909d6b4b7f.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

Tonytoro416

They work well is why they can be a bear if been on machinery for years. Biggest thing I ran into is guys not understanding how they work and had them boogered up before I got to them and that is always a challenge.  

• Thanks 1

peter lena

@sjoemie himself   as usual with your work, there is killer detailing !  that  related , deck is something else , emphasize on the rotational , belt drive hand off , personal experience says , emphasis on rotational bearings , lubrication , every collective movement area , should be detailed for function , Lucas , hi temp , 550 + degree , polyurea (  anti sling )  grease in every bearing , move slide point . just the look of that  " EXHAUSTED  / FRAYED / BELT ,  is telling you the story / fix  route . combined  pulley bearing drag , equals heat , bearing side seals , removal , RE GREASE , also detail in every related movement area , this INCLUDES  THE PTO DRIVE SET UP .  LEAVE NO MOVEMENT AREA  , UNTOUCHED / improved . would also consider adding a , stronger tension spring , to cut down on belt / flutter . have not done one of those , but , would like to recover it . also look over , initial , lever engagement . pulley drag , belt bounce , hiding in plane sight , let me know , pete  

• Thanks 1

peter lena

@sjoemie himself  , DID YOU CLEAN OUT AND RE GREASE THOSE NEW PULLEY  BEARINGS ?   rotational drag , makes heat , usually cooks and fails original grease . those wide side shields , flat pocket screwdriver , small putty knife , wipe out , 550 deg rated grease , makes them quiet / last . how about some super lube on that related choke linkage ? smooth easy . that foam over the air filter is left dry , helps capture the big stuff , you can always remove an clean out / replace .  verify full fuel flow ?  is pump ok? any possible blockage in line? float setting ?  add some carb cleaner to fuel , might have picked up  a  speck , to jetting , fuel filter ? , don't make me come over there !  kidding , sure you have it covered , any new set up , has , some tuning issues ,  pete 

• Thanks 1

sjoemie himself

Hey mr greasy @peter lena thanks for your thoughts. The deck is nowhere near my, or your, standards indeed. I'm still debating if I even want to use this deck or if I'm going to use a different one all together. There's no bearing that's good, almost all pulleys are shot, there are multiple holes in the deck and all the linkages are wore out. 

Finding a better deck is probably a better invest of my time than trying to restore it. That being said maybe I want to go the route of pull behind mower, brush hog style or front mower to get into tight corners but we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

• Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

sjoemie himself

..continued from previous.. 

I must confess I did not clean and re-pack the bearings in the new pulleys. Might still do that but for now I wanted to check if these upgrades would quiet down the drivetrain, which it did.

Still need to get a new pulley for the input shaft on the gearbox because that had something wedged in it at some point so the belt bounces up and down in the groove. Not ideal.

The carb has been rebuilt fairly recently, added a new diaphram/pump while I was in there so *should* be good..

I'm leaning towards an issue with the air/fuel mixture because the old filter was very dirty/clogged. The engine would get less air and more fuel, so running rich.

Now with the new filter the engine can get (more than) enough air but not enough fuel so runs lean, has no power and dies?

Does that make sense?

peter lena

@sjoemie himself https://www.amazon.com/CarBole-Universal-2-3-5P-S-I-Operating-Self-Priming/dp/B01IR6BNKY/ref=asc_df_B01IR6BNKY/?tag=hyprod-   have a couple of these in use , very solid / bombproof , also upgraded to a 5/16  clear fuel line , fuel check valve . to hold fuel up to carb . have many hours on this combo  , makes for instant starts , and very solid running . also added a single green LED  light to my dash , to show pump on , had a little electrical glitch , so while in the area , why not have a bulb to verify electric pump is on ?  as said , in the vertical fuel run up to carb , added the fuel check valve , about 3 "  from the carb , so I  can verify fuel hold  , been instant starting / running solid . my fuel filters are clean ,  good talking , Pete

• Like 1

sjoemie himself

Been tinkering around with hydraulics. Changed the mounting point for the pump, lowered it.

Testfitted the pump. Seems good for now.

20231021_175138.jpg.44d33b0c57e6d426b01f8b0fb9ab468c.jpg

20231021_175303.jpg.ab98d2e4ce0d3bd350e7cca3af2eec1b.jpg

20231021_175108.jpg.cf8786ccdda94147f4687e136bc6707a.jpg

Next I moved to completing the hydraulic tank. Welded an intake and outlet bung on and a flat spot for an oilgauge.

20231027_191420.jpg.8b9bb43a80ded6907219c5182ac72061.jpg

20231027_201240.jpg.6a935d455ff58dd15cb4f0a998a135f3.jpg

20231028_180949.jpg.96b38b2023d4523224bde97175bfcea8.jpg

Last but not least I found a spot for the inline oil filter and made up a clamp for it.

Next up is either hoses or the valves, probably valves.

20231028_175356.jpg.13ec22986cff13250dda24f64cf3c185.jpg

20231028_175333.jpg.cf66c248a8556f5f303c297052f83c0f.jpg

Thanks for watching!

Greetings from the Netherlands, Mark 

• Excellent 8

Pullstart

Such great work!  It’ll be a keeper when it’s finished!  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine

Mark this has been a fascinating project since you've started.  

Just excellent work Sir!

@wallfish @Oldskool @Handy Don you guys must be seeing this too eh?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

sjoemie himself
18 hours ago, Pullstart said:

keeper

Thanks Kevin. One of the reasons I'm building the 3-point (on this tractor) is that it opens up a world of possibilities for implements. Hope it will be around for a long time.

That being said, maybe if somebody offers me a rediculous amount of money for it I might consider selling it. Probably not going to happen though and that's fine.

1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

excellent work

Thanks Eric, much appreciated. Stay tuned, more to come!

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

SylvanLakeWH

:eusa-clap:

:bow-blue:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Handy Don
6 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Mark this has been a fascinating project since you've started.  

Just excellent work Sir!

@wallfish @Oldskool @Handy Don you guys must be seeing this too eh?

The craftsmanship you are putting into this project is just a great pleasure to watch. Having had my own adventures on this path, I can so empathize with your efforts fitting “extra” components into the small spaces of these tractors in ways that are both functional and elegant. Thanks for letting us peek!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1