Southern_Secret

7 years & I finally got one!!

Gregor
8 minutes ago, Southern_Secret said:

@Gregor so why do you think my meter stoped working, i thought it was because of the oil switch because i saw a right up about a guy having the same situation and he was told it was because his oil switch was bad? 

I haven't a clue. As I said, I have never seen a tractor with one. As others have said though, it would not be hard to by-pass. Simply wire the meter to any 12 volt, (key on) source. TractorData doesn't even list a 314-H. I will assume it is a Kohler 321, like you say. The + side of the coil would work.

I don't own any :wh: near that new.

Edited by Gregor
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, Southern_Secret said:

@Gregor i know mine does, at the back side down at the bottom

1 hour ago, Gregor said:

I have (1) K341, (3) K321, (1) K301, (2) K181, (1) K161, (1) MV16, and have never seen an oil cut out switch. Whooda thunk?

1 hour ago, Southern_Secret said:

@Gregor i know mine does, at the back side down at the bottom

K series doesn't have an oil level cut out switch that I've seen. 

@Southern_Secret

Your engine is likely an M series or Magnum.

Kind of like same thing but different.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine

@Southern_Secret

Do you have the schematic diagram for that?

• Like 1

Gregor
3 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

K series doesn't have an oil level cut out switch that I've seen. 

@Southern_Secret

Kind of like same thing but different.

Now I am curious. Just WHAT MODEL IS this tractor, anyway? Did I miss it somewhere?

• Like 1

ebinmaine
Just now, Gregor said:

Now I am curious. Just WHAT MODEL IS this tractor, anyway? Did I miss it somewhere?

First post I think? It's a 314H.

• Like 1

Gregor

OK weird. Tractor data does not list a 314-H. Only 314-8, and 314-A. With a K-3211110369967_Screenshot2021-11-29at13-09-08TractorDatacomWheelHorse314tractorengineinformation.png.7d48e95b38adf2712c1f97ebfa4877cb.png

But if you Google Wheel Horse 314-H, it will show up in TractorData. With an M14

1848582660_Screenshot2021-11-29at12-58-07TractorDatacomToroWheelHorse314-Htractorengineinformation.png.1e9502801435e627893dddd4cba73990.png

And in the manuals section, it is an M14, not a K.

200876024_Screenshot2021-11-29at13-00-59httpslookup3torocompartdexmodlatchcfmxCallerTorox54-Tractor1993314-H73401....png.313ae83006340eaed9d4a42c850fd770.png

741565135_Screenshot2021-11-29at13-07-05Tractor1993314-HDAOMWiringRevisedSNpdf.png.26f2aa4302b760fce754d8746c7af4b3.pngAnd it has an oil switch

• Like 1

pfrederi
5 minutes ago, Gregor said:

OK weird. Tractor data does not list a 314-H. Only 314-8, and 314-A. With a K-3211110369967_Screenshot2021-11-29at13-09-08TractorDatacomWheelHorse314tractorengineinformation.png.7d48e95b38adf2712c1f97ebfa4877cb.png

But if you Google Wheel Horse 314-H, it will show up in TractorData. With an M14

And in the manuals section, it is an M14, not a K.

200876024_Screenshot2021-11-29at13-00-59httpslookup3torocompartdexmodlatchcfmxCallerTorox54-Tractor1993314-H73401....png.313ae83006340eaed9d4a42c850fd770.png

741565135_Screenshot2021-11-29at13-07-05Tractor1993314-HDAOMWiringRevisedSNpdf.png.26f2aa4302b760fce754d8746c7af4b3.pngAnd it has an oil switch

From his original post pics it is a magnum they had low oil switches...

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 1

Gregor
1 hour ago, Gregor said:

I haven't a clue. As I said, I have never seen a tractor with one. As others have said though, it would not be hard to by-pass. Simply wire the meter to any 12 volt, (key on) source. TractorData doesn't even list a 314-H. I will assume it is a Kohler 321, like you say. The + side of the coil would work.

I don't own any :wh: near that new.

Now that we have established it is an M14,(if we have) and not a K321, DON'T WIRE ANYTHING to the coil. You do not have battery ignition ! Chances are, you won't even see the coil.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

WHX??

Sounds like the boys have got you covered Secret so I'll just :WRS:

• Heart 1

Southern_Secret
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

@ebinmaine yes sir I'm sorry, it is a m14s 

• Like 1

Gregor

Looking at the wiring diagram in the above manual, I can't see where the oil sentry switch has anything to do with the hour meter. The hour meter is wired in parallel with the volt meter. If your volt meter is working, your hour meter should be working. There is a 15 amp fuse in line for both of them. If it's blown, neither will work. I would post a pick of the wiring diagram but since I got this:ranting: wonderful new computer, it won't post anything anyone can open anyway. Maybe someone else can open the file and post the pic. Oh, maybe I did find a way. Follow the pink wire from the volt, and the hour meter back to the switch. You will see a 15 amp fuse, where the wire turns white in color. Is your volt meter working?

image.png.0efb0c55257efaf16ecd10b7357cef1f.png

• Thanks 1

squonk

Hour meters fail all the time. Seen dozens of them. Also those oil switches fail and damage the engine. I think @richmondred01 had pics.

• Like 1

Southern_Secret

@Gregor my volt meter does work good, let me look at this diagram and see if i can find the fuse you are talking about.

Southern_Secret

@Gregor i see where right be for the pink wire goes to the switch the fuse you are talking about, is that a fuesable link?

Handy Don

Green oval marks the accessory 15amp fuse

image.png.6840397780bc9ddc3c35fc9ba45afec2.png

Edited by Handy Don
  • Thanks 1

Southern_Secret

@Gregor I see that the white wire that goes to the key also goes to the seat switch, could my seat switch being un hooked be some of the issue?

Southern_Secret
2 hours ago, squonk said:

Also those oil switches fail and damage the engine.

@squonk well i keep a check on my oil, if i tie the wires that go to the oil switch together (the ones that go from the tractor to the oil switch it's self) that it won't let it turn over. ?

• Excellent 1

Gregor
7 minutes ago, Southern_Secret said:

@Gregor i see where right be for the pink wire goes to the switch the fuse you are talking about, is that a fuesable link?

I can't say for sure, but it looks like an in-line fuse to me.

4 minutes ago, Southern_Secret said:

@Gregor I see that the white wire that goes to the key also goes to the seat switch, could my seat switch being un hooked be some of the issue?

Again, I don't think so, it is after the switch. Should not come into play.  Someone else probably knows more about it. I don't have one of these new fangled machines.

• Thanks 1

squonk
6 minutes ago, Southern_Secret said:

@squonk well i keep a check on my oil, if i tie the wires that go to the oil switch together (the ones that go from the tractor to the oil switch it's self) that it won't let it turn over. ?

The failure of the switch I'm talking about is the plastic breaking inside the engine and the pieces getting into everything.

• Like 2

Southern_Secret
5 minutes ago, Gregor said:

new fangled machines

@gregor hahahahaha, Well you might not think you know alot about it but you have help me a huge amount. I would have never figured out about that fuse EVER!! The thread i was reading about the oil switch being tied to the hour meter was talking about a 520-H now that i think about it, and those are a whole nother beast.

Southern_Secret
4 minutes ago, squonk said:

The failure of the switch I'm talking about is the plastic breaking inside the engine and the pieces getting into everything.

@squonk If i cant find a replacement switch im going to pull the old one out and plug the hole..... maybe??

• Like 3

Gregor

When the key is in the RUN or START position, it makes contact with the Battery, and Lights (accessories). Not being in the seat may keep the tractor from starting, or even turning over, but it won't bother the lights or low oil warning light.1739335287_Screenshot2021-11-29at16-20-497yearsIfinallygotone.png.42694bde9e99a96d936cab12b72f3874.png

• Like 2

squonk

Yes. You would have to rig the wires so the engine will start

Edited by squonk

Handy Don
23 minutes ago, Southern_Secret said:

Have you read the owners manual for this tractor? That will make clear what interacts with what. For instance, it tells you that if you get off the seat while the engine is running and the PTO is engaged, the engine shuts off. But there are other interactions you should understand as well.

Until you correlate the "factory" wiring diagram to the current state of your wiring to find out what has been changed, removed, or added you are playing whack-a-mole. 

biged77

The problem between the hour meter and oil switch was for tractors with low oil pressure switches not low oil level switches.

If you're still having a problem with the hour meter unscrew the top instrument panel, pull it forward and look at the wires going to the voltmeter and hour meter.  The wires are parallel, if one works the other should work.

I think your best bet is to remove and plug the low oil level switch.  Or you could disconnect it or cut the wires.  This should not keep the tractor from starting.

I can send you the one I removed if you still want the low oil level function.  Here's a photo.

1870641201_IMG_1313(002).jpg.305c3041fdcbaa3192f8a24ab556b183.jpg

• Like 1