Snoopy11

John Deere Lx176 resto... possibly mod...

Snoopy11
1 minute ago, ebinmaine said:

Not bad at all for such a small engine. 

Has a neat little echo in there...

Yeah, HellHorse is ..MUCH.... louder.

I am debating whether to go with a performance muffler on there... I think I will... just undecided. It isn't THAT loud at all, but I would like a growly tone...

Don

Snoopy11

Ladies and gentlemen, I have decided to go with a cherry bomb muffler of all things. I am picking it up tomorrow at a local parts store.

I wanted this thing to sound different... I think it will sound different... maybe bad even, but I might be the first person I know of to do this on this engine... so we shall see how it sounds.

Stay tuned for updates...

Don

Snoopy11

Cherry Bomb Performance Muffler 87522CB

?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.jMkC-vUPUxCO8KXNGTcYTQAAAA%26pid%3DApi&f=1

Cherry Bomb Glasspack Mufflers 87522CB - Free Shipping on ...

Of course, I will paint it black... :P

Don

• Like 1

Snoopy11

BTW, in case I did not make it clear above, I have absolutely no clue how this is going to sound. If it sounds really bad... I won't keep it... 

HOWEVER, for sake of argument, I will try it... and maybe some other... freak... on the face of the earth will find my Cherry bomb test helpful... :P

Don

Snoopy11

I learned today that the pulley on the K61 transaxle is splined... the pulley looks like this:

Amazon.com : Flip Manufacturing Pulley fits John Deere AM126129 LX176  LX178, LX186, LX188, LX255, LX266, LX277 : Patio, Lawn & Garden

Therefore, if I was to swap pulleys, I would have to swap the engine side. 

I am still considering my options... :)

Don

ebinmaine
6 hours ago, Snoopy11 said:

swap pulleys,

Did you find out if swapping pulleys on that hydro would gain speed?

I don't believe it does if done on a Wheelhorse hydro....

• Excellent 1

Snoopy11
7 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Did you find out if swapping pulleys on that hydro would gain speed?

I don't believe it does if done on a Wheelhorse hydro....

I have absolutely no clue. I haven't been able to locate anything online about it, the JD dealer won't offer any advice...

I guess the only way I will be able to find out is to do it... kinda like the cherry bomb... :rolleyes:

Don

Snoopy11

One thing I should add. I got out and mowed a lot of leaves yesterday... and I don't know what the exhaust stack did, but it gave me buttloads more power. Before, when I have the mowing deck on, and I hit the throttle hard, you could hear it bog down just a tiny bit... under hard acceleration. Now, it never bogs down... and will easily spin the tires...

Makes me very happy!

I'm going to pick up my "muffler" today... should get it put on sometime in the next couple of days...

Don

• Like 1

ebinmaine

I'd be curious to know if you think it still has the same amount of torque when you put the new muffler on

• Like 1

Snoopy11
20 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

I'd be curious to know if you think it still has the same amount of torque when you put the new muffler on

It is supposedly a straight through muffler design, so we shall see.

On the basis of the pulley swap idea... 

So, from my understanding... the rpm's going into the trans is 1,200 at the moment. 

I can upgrade to a 5 inch pulley on the motor and achieve 3,000 rpm into the trans, which will speed the tractor up immensely... 

Don

• Like 1

Snoopy11

So, what you do is take the engine rpm, multiply by your engine pulley size, then divide by your transmission pulley size, then you know what your transmission pulley rpm is.

Don

• Like 1

Snoopy11

One could say... regarding the pulley swap... I am in the mulling phase...

I haven't decided whether to do it or not... :rolleyes:

Don 

• Like 1

ebinmaine
57 minutes ago, Snoopy11 said:

It is supposedly a straight through muffler design, so we shall see.

On the basis of the pulley swap idea... 

So, from my understanding... the rpm's going into the trans is 1,200 at the moment. 

I can upgrade to a 5 inch pulley on the motor and achieve 3,000 rpm into the trans, which will speed the tractor up immensely... 

Don

I only have a very basic understanding of hydraulics so take this with a grain of salt, if you will.

What I'm wondering is, even though you're increasing the RPM input speed of the transmission, are you sure you're actually going to gain anything because the flow and/ or the pressure might not be allowed to change by the internal transmission or fluid pump valves preset at the factory...

• Like 1

Snoopy11

I only have a very basic understanding of hydraulics so take this with a grain of salt, if you will.

What I'm wondering is, even though you're increasing the RPM input speed of the transmission, are you sure you're actually going to gain anything because the flow and/ or the pressure might not be allowed to change by the internal transmission or fluid pump valves preset at the factory...

That is what I don't know. I guess, what I am thinking is... if I ever need to take the engine back off again... (why I would... I don't know...)... but if I do, then I might try a swap...:sci-fi-robot:

There isn't a whole heck of a lot of information out there about doing this. 1 guy on youtube... and his transmission is not exactly like mine. THEREFORE, as far as I know, I would be a Guinee pig... as usual. :rolleyes:

The problem is... I don't really think I want to be... :snooty:

Don

ebinmaine

I wonder if there's a way to get the specs for the particular transmission that you have and maybe? That would give you an understanding of what your expectations could be.

For example, maybe you would find that transmission used in a different machine and it has a different rating of input speed?

Maybe? That might make me feel better about modifying something and having slightly less concern about future damage... Or, spending a few bucks on the new pulley and different sized belt only to discover that it made zero difference.

• Like 1

Snoopy11

I wonder if there's a way to get the specs for the particular transmission that you have and maybe? That would give you an understanding of what your expectations could be.

For example, maybe you would find that transmission used in a different machine and it has a different rating of input speed?

Maybe? That might make me feel better about modifying something and having slightly less concern about future damage... Or, spending a few bucks on the new pulley and different sized belt only to discover that it made zero difference.

I agree there. The interesting thing is... the input speed currently on the transmission is not what it is rated at. It is rated at 3,600... but the input speed is only 1,200 at the moment.

Swapping engine pulleys would achieve that rpm... but, as we question... would it improve speed? :scratchead: Not if there is some sort of limiter... 

It's not like this thing is slow... it isn't... it is just as fast as my zero turn... if not a tiny bit quicker... 

BUT... you know that there is a little tinkerer in me that just can't leave things alone... :tools-hammerdrill:

Creating a problem... or... doing something for nothing is not a hole that I want to dig myself into... 

Don

• Like 1

Snoopy11

I might contact Tuff Torq directly, see if they will answer...

Doubt they will... but worth a try... 

Don

ebinmaine

It's also possible you may get better results trying to contact other companies that used that same transmission.

I find it interesting that the input speed is rated at 3600 RPM but yours is only using 1,200 RPM. 1/3 of maximum is quite a lot of difference as I'm sure you realize.

So that brings up the question to me at least.. what's after the pump? Was whatever that piece is capable of handling only so much fluid flow and pressure and that's what that pump puts out at that 1200 RPM?

I don't have very much knowledge of hydraulics in ground equipment at all but I can tell you that in cranes the hydraulics are quite often capable of handling approximately twice what they are built to do. That's sort of a safety margin you could say.

Given that I have that knowledge I would not even consider putting that transmission at an input speed of 3,600 RPM. 

• Excellent 1

Maxwell-8

Hydro don't like pulley swaps. Barely any speed increase, and way higher temps. 

If I where you, make it faster by changing stuff after the pump. tires, final drive, etc. 

That's the way they did it on the 520hc. 

I know this dude sped one up with succes by switching out gears can't find the video tho was on a pink mower

https://www.youtube.com/c/redneckcomputergeak/videos

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Snoopy11
4 hours ago, Maxwell-8 said:

Hydro don't like pulley swaps. Barely any speed increase, and way higher temps. 

If I where you, make it faster by changing stuff after the pump. tires, final drive, etc. 

That's the way they did it on the 520hc. 

I know this dude sped one up with succes by switching out gears can't find the video tho was on a pink mower

https://www.youtube.com/c/redneckcomputergeak/videos

:bow-blue::bow-blue::bow-blue:

Excellent advice! Thank-you so much for you input @Maxwell-8

Don

Edited by Snoopy11
  • Like 1

Snoopy11

Hey guys,

So, here is what I am going to call the finished product.

Of course, since I changed all the fuel lines, I had to use Eric @ebinmaine's priming technique... 

image.png.0ddd4d2fc92ef7f3a0e0020003184f05.png

:laughing-rolling: :confusion-helpsos: :laughing-rolling:

Don

• Haha 2

ebinmaine

@JCM @Pullstart you boys see this????

:ROTF:

• Haha 1

Snoopy11

You just KNEW I had to... @ebinmaine

Don

• Haha 2

JCM

Oh no, not this again. Where's @wallfish when you need him to make sure your technique is correct.  :lol:

• Haha 2

Snoopy11

I noticed, after taking the tachometer off HellHorse, that the JD was only running 2,700 rpm. I modified the governor, (don't worry, I will post pictures of what I did)... and now it runs a little over 3,600 rpm and I tell you what... this thing FLIES...

It was the same speed as my zero turn... now it is much faster. 

I wonder why the manufacturer set the governor rpm so low? Only with my modification (pretty involved) did I achieve 3,600... Very odd... :eusa-think:

Basically, what I did was put a zip tie through the governor spring, and put the head of another zip tie on the other end of the spring... which adjusts the spring tension. I am wondering if maybe it is a worn-out spring? But again, this thing supposedly only ran 5.5 mph... (I was already going 7+)... now it is probably 10-12 mph. 

Maybe someone has better explanations for my findings? @Jeff-C175 maybe?

Don

• Like 1