peter lena

Throttle control spring

peter lena

added pull springs to my throttle / choke spring pull point , found this to be the easiest way to control throttle creep , also added one to my carb throttle plate , just tempers setting enough to make for easy quick starts . have this set up on 3 kohler magnum 12  engines . lots of hours , with no problems . just an experiment that works , pete

IMG_0248 (1).jpg

IMG_0249 (1).jpg

IMG_0250 (1).jpg

IMG_0251 (1).jpg

• Like 5
  • Excellent 3

ebinmaine

So do the springs pull to full throttle to help keep it high RPM?

Or just the opposite?

• Like 3

peter lena

@ebinmaine spring will maintain any setting you put it at , like the fact that you can really dial in what you want , makes the control more secure. another thing is that it assists the slide function on the cable , solid and smooth . the delicate tension on the carb throttle plate is just enough to assist starting . just something i tried when i had a constant erratic start , since trying the spring , instant starts and less choke . have lots of hours on this set up , when i change or correct anything , i road test it for quite a while , and continue to improve it , till it constantly works , pete

• Like 5
  • Excellent 1

Achto

I did the same thing on my Raider 12. Got sick of having to pull on the throttle all of the time. This spring assist was one of the best things that I've done to improve the tractor.

• Like 5

peter lena

@Achto  , also installed a 10 / 12 ga wire ground to the , spring mount , rectifier bolt , off the lower corner of engine to frame , ground point , die electric grease . that perforated steel at the base area is a good spring mount point . while you are there , why not ?  good for you , pete

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

peter lena

@kpinnc note the delicate soft look of that top spring on the throttle plate , thats what i came to on control of that , the other heavier spring is to pull assist the cable control , really makes the cables respond in the lightest increments , have that set up on my 3 engines . experiment , find its gain / improvement , verify consistency , add it to other engines . scary to think that we both came up with that throttle plate control point .  regularly use a small piece of prorated metal sheet for a spring go to point for a spring grab . another off the grid experimenter , love it , pete   

• Like 2
  • Excellent 3

peter lena

when first starting on a throttle cable related issue , cable is rusty , never lubricated with correct lubricant , linkage / levers have no lubrication , until you add a light spring to pull back on its intended motion , it will not work like this . is cable mounted ina binding spot ?  like forced in there ?   should be very smooth / easy on its own . thay spring pull on return , is the answer, also typically tweek  / improve related mount points , regularly check action , gain / loss. super lube oil is the stuff, made for it . that very light big loop spring that I have on my throttle plates ,is just delicate enough to enhance plate closure , for instant starts . yet at start is quickly moved to open throttle , think that spring came from a ceiling bucket light tension spot , just the help a cold engine needs for quick starts . lots of hours and starts , the combo works , pete     

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

Snoopy11

@peter lena... I did this on my K341 and it helped IMMENSELY with keeping the throttle steady. Certainly an excellent idea, thanks for sharing! :greetings-waveyellow:

Don

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

S416-8

great thanks and will do

• Like 1

Jessro81

Thanks for all the advice it is very much appreciated. 

• Like 3

peter lena

@Wheelhorse#1  those springs do not  have , heavy pull , they are small . experimented with a few for effect , once the cables started to easily / smoothly function , it just retained that change , another thing, top photo , first  throttle plate spring , just had a few of those in my spring box , extremely light , think they were for a ceiling light box retainer clip, look around . bonus shot , note the yellow electrical lug , on spring mount to rectifier ? that goes to my engine ground point , from battery ground bolt , enhances electrical grounding . of course every related movement spot , has super lube , instrument oil on it , local  H/W  store , small bottle , pete

• Excellent 1

peter lena

@Snoopy11  snoop , surely you can see the opportunity  while you are right there , have numerous pieces  S / S  perforated  metal from the scrap bins at work , we used to make salt water filter strainers  on  tank cooling areas  , change overs , pull out strainers and steam clean blast ,  bombproof stuff . just attach a  small piece  for intended spring assist , the other thing is that you are not counting on the electrical  ground point , you are verifying it  , going from start to finish . always snoopin , ha ha  , around , pete 

• Excellent 1

steelman

Is there a particular size that works best for you? Where do you purchase? I have a spring on 71 Bronco but it’s too stiff making the throttle wide open. My wife is scared to death of it 😂 and I’ve had a close call with it too.  

peter lena

@steelman  local H/W  store has a large selection of those springs , is the cable free and moving easily ?  https://www.zoro.com/super-lube-4-oz-hydraulic-oil-bottle-150-iso-viscosity-85w-sae-51004/i/G5124506/?  , use this on all my cables  and related linkage points , also at local h/w store , make sure that linkage  moves with ease at every stage. don,t have a # , probably a couple of inches long with a medium pull , not hard stiff . as you set it up , check  function and reaction as you go , not difficult , its assisting  the close / stop of the cable lever start . so you are always pulling against it , pete

steelman

Yes the cable is free, it is the old style cable that twists to lock but is not working.

squonk

Why is this in the implements and attachments section? :confusion-confused: :rolleyes: