Ed Kennell

2021 Deer Tails

Pullstart

We cut up about 5 lbs of hind quarters last night and prepared them for jerky in the smoker.  We just laid them out and I’ll check them in a couple hours.  Recipe one is Tajín Mexican spice and garlic powder.  Recipe two is fresh ground black pepper, garlic powder and lemon peel infused sea salt.  Mesquite for the chips.

E2C3154F-43AC-4A7A-83AB-4F61DD282011.jpeg

2611D268-0D44-4443-B9E8-F4D9222829AA.jpeg

7EEDAF13-3693-4BD9-B5DB-C941F98E2BA9.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Heart 2

SylvanLakeWH

Do you ship to the east side of the mitten? I’ll take 1 1/2 pounds of each recipe… oh wait, that won’t leave you any… bummer… for you🤪

• Haha 2

Pullstart

You come pop one on the west side, there’s a spot to hang it in my barn and I’ll even watch you process it.  Heck you can have a Wisconsin Amber out the fridge with me!

• Excellent 1

WHX??

Pound and a half Sylvia ??? ... let's not get greedy here....no curds fer you!  :lol: 

'Course does look tasty Kev ...bet Rylee loves it! 

I haven't made whole muscle jerky in eons. Always my favorite in any flavor.  Lots of ground meat in the dehydrator tho. Quick, easy and Cindy takes it to work for snacks. Got a couple lbs of ground to burn up yet so may have to make some this weekend. 

Tell you what not a jerky hound like Sylvia but shrink wrap a sampler pack for plow day! The Mexican one sounds good. Are you using pre-packaged cures/spices? What smoker are you using that holds those trays? I tried the big pellet smoker once but they just came out better in the dehydrator using liquid smoke. Prolly just don't have the timing right. 

Gunning for that sausage/jerky doe this weekend ... special antlerless gun hunt this weekend this one so hopefully make the ole Winnie model 94 30/30 bark this sat/Sunday. Got the blind set up just off the junior plow field but them darn deer are smart and know I'm sitting and very skitish for the bow. Except for the youngun's but they are just too small to harvest. 

Edited by WHX??
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 1

Pullstart

This electric guy @WHX??…. The grates are pretty rusty and gross but I’m not sure if the aluminum was the best idea.

68946F24-BE07-4244-8CA0-F03048B5229A.jpeg

• Like 1

WHX??

Ok I had one like that ...my first smoker since going from charcoal. Does it have the chip pan you have to turn and dump? That was a nice feature. If I remember right I soaked the wood chips in water first.  It got pretty crusty over the years so I gave it to Ryan.... :D It was ok tho and made alot of  good jerky.  Maybe just put some small slits in the tin foil to let the the smoke and heat to circulate? 

Ed Kennell
On 12/1/2021 at 9:49 AM, WHX?? said:

The baloney sounds very good! I have never heard of the cloth casing. Does he add beef or pork? 

I picked up the 10 lb bologna roll.    He charged  $0.70/lb to make the roll  and $0.65/lb if you want it sliced and vacuum packed for sandwiches. . Cost me $13.50 for 10lb.

I leave the 3lb sticks in the cloth bags and chunk it for snacks.   He is having problems getting the 3lb. bags delivered, so he didn't have the 3lbers made. 

He does not add pork or beef unless the customer requests it.

104_0129.JPG.217f5106f7d5bcfcf6af9111949f8b95.JPG

• Like 2

Pullstart

This little girl got hit and ended up stopping her fight about 100 yards across the road today.  She was still alert but immobile for a couple hours.  Game warden called, he put her down with his AR and issued me a tag.  I hope for at least some quick back straps.

9A3F9C61-7442-4D8D-B904-260902FC72D6.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Pullstart

42” meat hanger.  I tried the @Ed Kennell method of gutless hanging.  front shoulders blown out by the officer, hind quarters damaged from the collision.  It sure is odd cutting warm meat!

6FF6EB3B-9A56-49F1-BC5A-7B426128A781.jpeg

Ed Kennell
54 minutes ago, Pullstart said:

front shoulders blown out by the officer,

What, no head shot??

SylvanLakeWH
1 hour ago, Ed Kennell said:

What, no head shot??

:text-yeahthat: Seriously… what a waste…

Bad aim??! :confusion-confused:

WHX??

Really upper neck anyway. Couldn't get the hams out of the hinds? I would have just took it out back and gutted it and left it hang for a day or two to cool down. Or just quartered it and let it cool. Cutting warm is no fun that's why the good Lord invented winters. :pray:

Get the wasted for us out to the critters .... not wasted for them. 

Sucks when they get wacked like that but wadda ya gonna do. Happens alot around here. Really sad when it's a nice buck. 

WHX??

Ok guys now I have a argument on. Big and I mean BIG  doe coming in with two yearlings. At least a couple hands above anything else. I tells the Ciiinnndaaay to get out ther and get her. Special season here any weapon 12/9 to 12/12 but antlerless only. So she is completely  legal   (we do everything legal here except when it's not)  :lol: kidding. 

She won't take the sausage  doe because of the little guys with her. Told her if she don't I'm gonna but yah Kev honey do is at the top of the list this weekend including a water heater! It's one of those dilemmas when I see hot  sticks and she  sees orphans. I'm gonna lose this one too ain't I :lol:

• Like 1

Handy Don
4 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

I'm gonna lose this one too ain't I :lol:

Lost before you began...

• Haha 1

WHX??

Maybe ...maybe not ... Handy ... last  time I checked I still wear the pants but that's subject to change at a moments notice :D

Handy Don
3 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

Maybe ...maybe not ... Handy ... last  time I checked I still wear the pants but that's subject to change at a moments notice :D

I definitely wear the pants in this family...and I got my wife's permission to say so!

Edited by Handy Don
  • Haha 3
  • Heart 1

Ed Kennell
15 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

She won't take the sausage  doe because of the little guys with her

You might try the arguement that Big Daddy Buck will probably chase the younguns off and s@#$%!!y assult Mamma.     Making Mamma into sausage before the assualt may save the younguns from injury.

Let me know if that works.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 1

Pullstart
5 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

What, no head shot??

I’d have appreciated being able to do it… but the law is the law.  If it’s dead, I can get a road kill tag.  If it’s decided that it won’t survive, they can whack it.  They are taught to lung shoot it for a guaranteed kill. With an AR?  Why not head or neck?  Every one I’ve seen like that still kicks around for a minute or two.  Unfortunately it was pretty beat up.  I skinned until I found the jelly meat and called it good.  It did fill a gallon ziplock.  Most guys would love to have a day like that fishin!

• Like 1

Jeff-C175

Spotted this buck and his girlfriend in the back lot today.  Left side of his rack was broken off partially, but the right side was HUGE!  Before he broke it, he was at least a 12 pointer.

Best shot I could get at 8X with my phone...

Can't shoot here, too close to houses / school. Darnit!

image.png.6d65501356f92dd5f86c461bb26973fc.png

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Ed Kennell
3 hours ago, Jeff-C175 said:

Can't shoot here, too close to houses / school

Even with a bow?

Jeff-C175
1 hour ago, Ed Kennell said:

Even with a bow?

I could probably get away with that but it is in fact illegal in the borough proper, which is where I'm situated.

Anybody sees me and I'm screwed, big time!

Don't forget, this is NJ !  There's a law against almost everything!

Edited by Jeff-C175
  • Sad 3

Ed Kennell

Randy @rjg854  tried every way of cooking and his venison came out tough.    He used an Instant Pot pressure cooker and said the venison was fork tender after 30minutes.

So, Santa brought me one for Christmas and I used it today.  Just 30 minutes under pressure and it was as tender as 4-5 hours in the crock pot.  

Thanks for the tip Randy.      

104_0162.JPG.bef1fdd86a9e2e181639e81261d7ed80.JPG104_0163.JPG.452c8e54a94ce0ded1a0a9390eabaced.JPG104_0164.JPG.08bedca5e3ff610d479d69d92d85eb4f.JPG

• Excellent 4

steelman

Looks tasty! I too had venison and noodles over mashed potatoes for supper. One of my favorites on a cold winter day👍

• Like 3

rjg854

Very welcome Ed, sometimes the old ways are the best ways.  I remember Mom using her pressure cooker for so many things.  Glad Santa was good to you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

WHX??

What was your gravy concoction Ed? 

Problem here is any more kitchen gadgets I would have to build an addition on to house them! :D

I could see this little 3 quart guy tho... 

https://www.amazon.com/Instant-Pot-Multi-Use-Programmable-Pressure/dp/B06Y1YD5W7?th=1