Ed Kennell

2021 Deer Tails

Ed Kennell

PeeAaa archery season opened last Sat.     I'm seeing deer every day, but no shooters yet.

103_0046.JPG.1928040e782c5dda6ebbc565546c5096.JPG103_0047.JPG.2b3505d8577a9422ab2c37903de113c0.JPG

• Like 4
  • Excellent 3

Pullstart

You’re seeing more meat potential than my new found water fowl adventures! :confusion-shrug:

Good luck Ed!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Skwerl58

Glad you are getting out. I shoot a recurve and started bow hunting three years ago. Haven't been able to get out. Virginia's archery seasoned opened this past Saturday also.

• Like 2

roadapples

Hey guys, this was outside the kitchen window yesterday...20210921_170610.jpg.fdb6b6b56d57a2c2fce547b01b4a2760.jpg20210907_190319.jpg.ef0623315ef78dc32176687b01b31ac8.jpg20210829_170000.jpg.7bd783c7dc57c715b21868b65dc1cd91.jpg

20210921_172716.jpg

20210907_184824.jpg

20210829_170105.jpg

• Excellent 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Heart 1

troutbum70

Ed's pictures are blurry I think he was having buck fever, just sayin.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

roadapples

When he was still in velvet. Antlers are backwards because of the selfie...20210829_163751.jpg.da0446feaced77cd6a6e35eead9dc5b1.jpg20210829_163751_resized.jpg.0c4bab748995b77ff31261658172642e.jpg

• Like 2
  • Heart 1

Stormin

I know the damage deer can do and the population need to be controlled. They also provide meat. Not killed for the sake of killing. Rifles are the best way, but I don't agree with using bows. To much error for a painful, and if the deer gets away, lingering death. I know which I would choose. I'd rather be shot with a gun than have something stuck in me.

Just my personal view and just for the record, I have guns myself. So I'm not anti gun or hunting and no offence meant to anyone.

Ed Kennell
1 hour ago, Stormin said:

To much error

Regardless of the weapon, shot placement is essintial for a safe humane harvest.        With a double lung pass thru shot, a whitetail deer will expire in 8-10 seconds.

The effective range of an arrow that is traveling at 300 ft/second is obviously much less than a bullet that is at 3000 ft/second.   I have taken deer at 51 yds with a bow and at 478 yds with a rifle.   Knowledge of the projectile drop and accurate laser measure of the distance makes this possible.

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

JoeM

No exact science. 

About 15 years ago I shot one with a 308, that I had used many times with great success. (bullet selection will make a difference too), but anyway just a tad over a hundred. It was in the bottom meadow, after the shot it turned to the right jumped the creek and ran straight up some of the steepest Pa terrain for another 100 yards and stopped standing as if i missed. I aimed again and cracked of another, took three steps and fell. It started sliding down and got caught on a sapling. It was so steep, I had to go out of the way to get up there. 

What a workout.

When I took the hide off there were two holes about 3 inches apart, with good expansion. One got the heart, other in lungs. figured the first shot was lungs. 

I shot q few in the lung and my experience is like Ed said, within 10 and down, but this was one of the few that went up and far.

• Like 2

WHX??

Just starting to get the fever. Too warm here and don't like sitting in a tree swatting skeets. Don't really get worked up till the leaves start dropping and a couple good frosts. 

Same thing here once Joe in 7mm-08 but didn't need that second shot. I had thought I missed but then he just dropped when getting ready for the second. 

Now 'Apples are you trying to tell us you was outside with that one and he just stood there that close while you took selfies?!?!? :lol:

• Haha 1

Ed Kennell

Really nice 60F morning in the tree.   Two doe fed by at 8AM.   No skeeters Jim...jist devil lantern flys.

• Like 1

roadapples
1 hour ago, WHX?? said:

Now 'Apples are you trying to tell us you was outside with that one and he just stood there that close while you took selfies?!?!? :lol:

Hasn't been that long ago I learned how to put pictures on here. I sure as heck don't know how to photoshop...

• Haha 2

Mike'sHorseBarn

Put some meat in the freezer Saturday. She was angled away pretty hard thats why the shot on this side is so far back. Its been too hot to hunt since then. Might give it a go tomorrow. Possibly monday since I have off work, but I like my cold frosty November mornings.

received_290310312926529.jpeg

• Excellent 3

WHX??

Nice Mike :handgestures-thumbupright: ...we call that camp meat! Looks like you guys still got the ear registration tags? 

44 minutes ago, roadapples said:

heck don't know how to photoshop...

I don't know about that seems to me you did a fair job airbrushing that chain & collar out where you got him tied up! 

You ever consider hunting at 'Apples place Ed? :lol:

Edited by WHX??
  • Haha 2

Ed Kennell
1 hour ago, WHX?? said:

You ever consider hunting at 'Apples place Ed? :lol:

Naw, I consider Jay a "deer" friend.    I don't think he would appreciate me turning one of his back porch Bambies into venison.   I like to eat-em, but I also like to just watch-em close up.

1 hour ago, Mike'sHorseBarn said:

Put some meat in the freezer Saturday.

WTG Mike, she looks like she has some age on her.   I'm glad the two I saw this AM were not in range....I might have been tempted as they both looked like dry doe with no younguns.

I do usually wait for the senior rifle hunt to fill my doe tags.    Hopefully it'll be cooler and I can do a couple head shots.   

After 56 years of tracking and dragging, now I like to drop-em on the tractor path.

BTW, I just got back from a trip to the scrap yard...about 10 mile across the river to the Lancaster side of the Susq.

I saw 4 fresh road killed deer.  They are on the move.      Put-em in the freezer before the autos mash-em...The insurance companys will be grateful.

OK, gotta head for my tree.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ed Kennell

n103_0093.JPG.9819cd9c88f1e5576c4ad21d00e7ffb9.JPG103_0091.JPG.2a798e53bd9883d9cfdd447b72a14bf0.JPG103_0088.JPG.5904a24a8dedd1a5ca26da6881c8cca3.JPG103_0089.JPG.a1ae07dc35e4cf86c92b6900c52cda61.JPG

Seven doe and the 4 point crossed the hay field at 6:40.     Sorry for the crappy pics.   They were at 126 yards and in poor light.

Mike'sHorseBarn
5 hours ago, WHX?? said:

Nice Mike :handgestures-thumbupright: ...we call that camp meat! Looks like you guys still got the ear registration tags? 

Yep pa is behind on just about everything lol

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

WHX??

I guess so Mike ...WI went away from those same tags 3 years ago and we did not like it at first. Now it's all call in registration. We was worried about the violators abusing the system but that was not the case. 

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

Four hours in the tree this AM and all I got was the skunk.  First day I didn't see a deer.    

roadapples
On 10/8/2021 at 12:24 PM, WHX?? said:

Does this help Jim? @WHX??The 9 point didn't come in this evening. Just the little 7 point and 7 doe. They were a little cautious with Jane and I both out there...20211009_174227.jpg.7694b2d4b7b13382a703e18928882de7.jpg20211009_174217.jpg.ea7bc83f5cf5c5ddc908601bd542dd99.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 1

Mike'sHorseBarn
4 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

Four hours in the tree this AM and all I got was the skunk.  First day I didn't see a deer.    

I didn't see anything this morning or this evening. It's been so darn warm and the crops are still on. I don't think I'm gonna hunt this coming week. Need some cooler weather and the corn to be picked then the deer might actually move lol

Ed Kennell

Still no shooter bucks.    I'm taking the week off and wait for the last two weeks.   May be the rut will turn them on.

I did put a doe in the freezer last week.

104_0023.JPG.0406111b0ea1ff1cc406aa15d573cd72.JPG

• Excellent 2

Ed Kennell

cancel post

Edited by Ed Kennell

WHX??

Camp meat Ed.... camp meat. You know the old bow hunters saying .... I think they went nocturnal. :lol: Then again as dad always said a hungry dog hunts best. 

Our freezer is going on the fritz ...just old and a power hog... and finding out a new one is made of unobtainium.... go figure. 

That said a good excuse to finnish up last year's catch. The 'Hosen @Pullstart needs to come for another visit! We shoulda sent a bunch more home with ya knowing my girls love it. Tell them I said heart heathy! 

May have to trim this year's harvest.... NOT! May have to dust off the chest freezer at camp. 

Tommorow's supper Kev....

20211026_184728.jpg

Edited by WHX??
  • Like 1
  • Heart 1

Pullstart

@WHX??  I butterflied some chicken breasts the other night just to use McCormick’s on ‘em.  My wife didn’t much appreciate me yelling “Cin-day!!! Play with my meat!” That’s just part of the marinade process…  :ROTF:

• Haha 1