Horse Newbie

1984 Work Horse GT-1600 REFRESH

Horse Newbie

@ebinmaine sorry about posts # 399…

I thought Peter was addressing me… got confused…

• Like 1

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, Horse Newbie said:

I found this tiny, what looks like a ball bearing around the lip of my used oil container. The last oil I drained that had been dumped in the container was my transmission oil from the Work Horse. This gives me concern that a bearing or something in the transmission has failed, or is about to fail. Take a look at these pics and let me know if you recognize where , or if it may have come out with the drained transmission oil. You can see by the pics that the bearing ball is about the size of a pin head.

F76445F7-3E1F-458E-B479-E08B8030B179.jpeg

Doesn't ring a bell with me. 

I've only had 1977 or older transmissions apart. 

@stevasaurus

@953 nut @pfrederi 

Any thoughts?

• Thanks 1

ebinmaine
11 minutes ago, Horse Newbie said:

@ebinmaine sorry about posts # 399…

I thought Peter was addressing me… got confused…

Bahhh. No worries.   

• Like 1

kpinnc
9 hours ago, Horse Newbie said:

I found this tiny, what looks like a ball bearing around the lip of my used oil container.

I can't think of anything that uses ball bearings that small. Maybe an idler pulley?

Looks like birdshot. :hide:

• Like 1

Gregor

Did you at one time have a Kohler carb apart in that same container? Looks a little big for that  though.

• Like 1

Jeff-C175
7 hours ago, kpinnc said:

Looks like birdshot

It does.  Wonder if it's magnetic?

• Like 1

Horse Newbie
8 hours ago, kpinnc said:

I can't think of anything that uses ball bearings that small. Maybe an idler pulley?

Looks like birdshot. :hide:

I may never know where it came from… not gonna worry about it. I will keep moving forward on the reassembly of the Work Horse.

• Like 1

Horse Newbie
3 minutes ago, Jeff-C175 said:

It does.  Wonder if it's magnetic?

Will never know… it’s lost now.:lol:

• Haha 2

Horse Newbie
5 hours ago, Gregor said:

Did you at one time have a Kohler carb apart in that same container? Looks a little big for that  though.

Nope… never worked on a Kohler carb.

stevasaurus

It did not come out of your transmission.  Is your watch still keeping time???  :confusion-confused:   I wonder if that isn't old grease?  Sometimes, dried grease can form what looks like ball bearings.  :eusa-think:

• Haha 1

Horse Newbie
6 minutes ago, stevasaurus said:

It did not come out of your transmission.  Is your watch still keeping time???  :confusion-confused:   I wonder if that isn't old grease?  Sometimes, dried grease can form what looks like ball bearings.  :eusa-think:

Thanks @stevasaurus that was the answer I was looking for. Don’t wear a watch, swatch, pocket watch, sun dial, or any other time keeping devices since mobile phones got popular. However I do wear my Rolex Presidential (not) when I am driving my 520H.:lol:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Horse Newbie

What oil would you guys recommend for the 16 hp twin Briggs on the Work Horse ? It will probably never be run in temps below 40 or so.

WHX??

12 minutes ago, Horse Newbie said:

never be run in temps below 40 or so.

Strait 30 weight then. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Jeff-C175
37 minutes ago, Horse Newbie said:

What oil

Rotella T1 straight 30W with one OZ of ZDDP per quart.

Best price I've found:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Shell-Rotella-T1-30W-Heavy-Duty-Diesel-Engine-Oil-1-Gallon/958899660

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Rislone-Hy-per-Lube-Zinc-ZDDP-Treatment-11-oz/52628126

• Like 1

Horse Newbie

Is this spring for the PTO lever hooked in the right place ?… not the end on the rod, the end that hooks to the black metal… seems to be stretching it quite a bit to me…

C5C4A121-D5D3-4362-8750-F8EB9251497D.jpeg

1C7D1089-4B06-41BE-8854-44C02F939C38.jpeg

Jeff-C175
2 hours ago, Horse Newbie said:

Is this spring for the PTO lever hooked in the right place ?

Not sure if your machine is the same as the C series, I suspect that it is:

image.png.0d4a17c9e7834d336c9f0c22795dec85.png

It goes from the cotter pin in the rod back to the top of the PTO hoop on the C series.

• Thanks 1

Horse Newbie
42 minutes ago, Jeff-C175 said:

Not sure if your machine is the same as the C series, I suspect that it is:

image.png.0d4a17c9e7834d336c9f0c22795dec85.png

It goes from the cotter pin in the rod back to the top of the PTO hoop on the C series.

Nope… not the same… it definitely goes in the vicinity of where I had it. When I disassembled I kept one end of the spring in the PTO engagement rod, near the handle end so I would not forget. :lol:

• Sad 1

Jeff-C175
1 minute ago, Horse Newbie said:

so I would not forget

Forgetting is OK.  Not remembering what it is that you were trying not to forget is a bit more of an issue!

• Haha 1

Horse Newbie

Put some PC-7 on the Work Horse spindles to try to build up the worn places… filed it down and you can see where it filled in the worn spots. I guess it will help with the way the new bearings ride.

92143AD4-DCDD-4CB9-BC86-1B2841128EB8.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Horse Newbie

Went to local hardware store and picked up 3 bearings and some machine washers for the front wheels… needed 4 but they only had 3. Also picked up 4 3/8x1-1/2 x 24 hex head bolts and 4 3/8 x 24 nylon lock nuts to bolt the ends of the tie rods.
The bearings did not have a name on them… old ones were Freeway brand out of Cleveland Ohio. Don’t know if I’ll use the new or take them back. I am not sure about the quality. The man at the hardware store said the ones I bought were Midwest brand name bearings. May order some from McMaster-Carr.

BFD61355-6503-4785-92CE-D79E99C50956.jpeg

67401381-D3D9-4009-8780-7C26729DC575.jpeg

Edited by Horse Newbie
  • Like 1

Jeff-C175

PC-7 on the Work Horse spindles

I will be interested to see how it holds up over time.  Take pics next time you take it apart... in a couple  years probably!

bearings

Those are very different than the ones on my machine.  What are the dimensions?  

• Like 1

Horse Newbie
8 minutes ago, Jeff-C175 said:

I will be interested to see how it holds up over time.  Take pics next time you take it apart... in a couple  years probably!

Those are very different than the ones on my machine.  What are the dimensions?  

What machine of yours are you talking about ? 
I’m sure the inside diameter is 3/4 inch. I will have to measure the outer diameter and the thickness tomorrow. 

Jeff-C175
23 minutes ago, Horse Newbie said:

What machine of yours are you talking about ? 
I’m sure the inside diameter is 3/4 inch. I will have to measure the outer diameter and the thickness tomorrow. 

The 1980-ish C series.  I've got a 125 and a 175 and they both use the same bearing.  Not sure what your machine uses, but these may in fact fit.

If you do use these, pop one of the seals, wipe out the vaseline that's in them, and put some GOOD grease in.

Leave the inner seal out and fill the hub with grease, or.....

leave both seals in place, which is what I did this time and I'm going to see how much life I get out of them without having to fill the wheel hub with grease... such a waste...

I bought a 10 pack of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MF5A4GF/

image.png.7c1f29e60b32f6e77554b286dafd07ea.png

But they're also available as a 'kit' of four with some shims, E-clips, and vinyl boots:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08R73CWR2/

image.png.8206534a2d6de3fe52f090420c679129.png

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Horse Newbie

@Jeff-C175

Man, thanks a million for that info above.

I will CERTAINLY be checking the outside diameter and thickness tomorrow, and most likely be taking the junk that I bought back… thanks again !

• Like 1