squonk

Engine test stand. first run

formariz

I like the test stand idea. Tell us a bit more about it . Set up for most engines electrically?

squonk

Right now it's wired for the starter gen design. I believe it would wire right up to a normal starter engine. Just move the big lead from the solenoid that attaches to the gen to the starter terminal. If I mount a 3 terminal voltage regulator on it I believe the bat wire I have hooked to the gen voltage reg would attach to the bat terminal of the 3 terminal regulator and the stator wires would attach to the reg. Should be a simple switchover.

• Like 1

squonk
1 hour ago, formariz said:

I like the test stand idea. Tell us a bit more about it . Set up for most engines electrically?

• Like 1

AMC RULES

:pray:  You running Rislone in that thing?

• Haha 3

squonk
6 minutes ago, AMC RULES said:

:pray:  You running Rislone in that thing?

St. Rotella 30W young feller! :)

• Like 1

AMC RULES

:hand:  Did you know...

you can clean your Rotella with Rislone.  :chores-mop:

Edited by AMC RULES
  • Haha 2

stevasaurus

Don't look now, but unless it is an optical illusion, I think your engine is running backwards.  :eusa-think:

• Like 3

squonk
19 minutes ago, stevasaurus said:

Don't look now, but unless it is an optical illusion, I think your engine is running backwards.  :eusa-think:

Yup it's an optical illusion. I thought the same thing for a minute but an engine won't run backwards without a backwards ground camshaft

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

stevasaurus

I was just thinking, if anyone could make that happen, it would be you.  :USA:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

AMC RULES

:rolleyes: Just need some Rislone.  :teasing-poke:20210829_131751.jpg.2d31b321d9f5a4c612a2fcec46754827.jpg

Haven't you ever heard, all the good it can do?  :blink:

Edited by AMC RULES
  • Haha 6

stevasaurus

I notice it is backward on your shirt Craig.  Maybe, if Mike put that into his engine backwards, that would explain it all.  He should drain it all and turn it around, then his engine would be OK.  :hide:

• Haha 4

rjg854

I stopped by yesterday, but you weren't home. I was wondering if you got that engine together yet. Well now I know :handgestures-thumbupright:. Ready to start on the next one yet? Seeing you had so much fun with this one :ychain:

• Haha 3

squonk
32 minutes ago, rjg854 said:

I stopped by yesterday, but you weren't home. I was wondering if you got that engine together yet. Well now I know :handgestures-thumbupright:. Ready to start on the next one yet? Seeing you had so much fun with this one :ychain:

You must have stopped by when I went on my wild goose chase after some Regal Red! 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

@squonk Put some BBQ saute on those bearings it will sound better and make it smell better.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

ebinmaine

:ROTF:

stevasaurus

Sweat Baby Ray's BBQ Smoked Hickory...I forgot about that. :confusion-confused:  You can flush transmissions with that stuff.  You can flush engines and make them whole.  You can treat your gas and make it good for 5 years.  You can fill your tires and walk through snow drifts.  It's happens to be great on Ribs and Pulled Pork and Beef Brisket also.  Check out their Web Site.  

• Haha 3

squonk

Engine has been run 2 hrs. on the stand. Ready to put on the shelf. Going to rebuild a Genuine Kohler carb. This China one is almost as bad as a Genuine Tecky carb! :tools-hammer:

So to recap. Engine wouldn't run when I got it because of the points lobe being 180 degrees off.  Repairs as follows:

2 piece cam replace with one piece cam

Cracked main bearing boss welded

Broken governor shaft replaced

Seized governor gear replaced

Valves and seats ground

Connecting rod turned around so oil hole is on the correct side.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

ebinmaine

Well done Mike 👍