Pullstart

My Little Big Show Haul

Achto
10 minutes ago, pullstart said:

Could a stator equipped engine be converted to @pullstart?  It would be cool to feed some small draw LED’s automatically when it’s running.

If it has a magneto ignition it would be very easy. If you wish to use the charging stator for lights or what not, I think that you will need to run some sort of battery in order for the reg/rec to work.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Pullstart
1 minute ago, Achto said:

If it has a magneto ignition it would be very easy. If you wish to use the charging stator for lights or what not, I think that you will need to run some sort of battery in order for the reg/rec to work.

Good point.  What’s the point of a charge coil and no starter?

Achto
7 minutes ago, pullstart said:

What’s the point of a charge coil and no starter?

Walk behind equipment is the only stuff I've seen with that type of application. Snowblower with lights for example.

• Thanks 1

squonk

If it has the stator on it just leave the starter off and add a recoil cup and rewind assembly like off a 704

• Like 2

pfrederi

Charge stators create AC LEDs like DC  will need a diode....however the pulsing may cause flickering...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8ntruck

LEDs are diodes.  Hook them up in pairs with opposed polarity.  At lreast it works for descrete LEDs.  Probably need to do something different for something like LED headlights.  I've done this for headlights on a couple of my Lionel locomotives - toy train stuff.  These run on 8 to 20 volt AC.  No noticeable flicker.

It has been a while since I did that, so I don't really remember the details.  Simple circuit, though, just the two LEDs and a resistor.  

Handy Don
5 hours ago, 8ntruck said:

LEDs are diodes.  Hook them up in pairs with opposed polarity.  At lreast it works for descrete LEDs.  Probably need to do something different for something like LED headlights.  I've done this for headlights on a couple of my Lionel locomotives - toy train stuff.  These run on 8 to 20 volt AC.  No noticeable flicker.

It has been a while since I did that, so I don't really remember the details.  Simple circuit, though, just the two LEDs and a resistor.  

Search for a cheap diode bridge. I posted notes on how to wire one in a recent thread.

Achto
2 hours ago, Handy Don said:

Search for a cheap diode bridge.

Or ask a friend of yours to grab you a few in line diodes out of his hard ware bins. :) Be glad to bring a few to Portage for you Kevin.

• Haha 1

Pullstart

I think I’ve talked myself out of it already... but thanks Dan!

• Like 1