Gregor

Torque

Gregor

Which will handle more torque?  A geared, or a hydro trans. If you were going to re-power / over-power a tractor, which would you use?

ebinmaine

Gear drive. 

The internals of the Wheelhorse manual transmissions are incredibly well built. 

That's what's in Colossus for that reason. It has a 23 horse engine and will be moving heavy loads. 

I'd be confident that a Sundstrands or Eaton 1100 could take 20+ hp if kept cool. 

@WVHillbilly520H 

• Like 2

953 nut

Seems that the folks that build Pullers tend to use gear jammers. Perhaps @fast88pu would want to comment.

Ed Kennell

Both transmisions, if maintained properly, will spin the tires on any surface.      So more power does no necessarily  increase the pulling capability.    Traction is the weakest link.    Axle to hub connection is probably next.

• Like 4

cschannuth

Both will handle a tremendous amount of torque but the Hydro will waste some of it through slippage compared to the manual transmission.

• Like 3

Tractorhead

Yap, @fast88pu shall have the best experiences for that purposes.

Just some toughts about gearboxes.

i have no clue about the wheelhorse Hydrostats but a general rule in my opinion is:

On hydraulics a overload will heat up the oil rapidly, what is a good indicator for that overload.

if the oil get‘s rapidly too hot, it changed the viscosity what results in worse transmission capability.

Gears will be silent until the torque is much too high, than things begin to damage quickly.

With not too much tension on the Belt, a beltslippage be here the first sign for an massive overload.

but i‘m with @Ed Kennell there are some weakpoints before you reach the gearbox limits you have to take care of.

For maximum Loads i would preferring Shifter gearboxes.

As far as i remember right @stevasaurus preferrs the 3 gears unidrive shall be best for heavy torque.

• Like 1

Gregor

I guess if I want to do burn outs, I should get a geared trans. :D

• Haha 2

fast88pu
2 hours ago, 953 nut said:

Seems that the folks that build Pullers tend to use gear jammers. Perhaps @fast88pu would want to comment.

Gear drives are used cause they use less hp to turn.

• Like 3

fast88pu
1 hour ago, Ed Kennell said:

Both transmisions, if maintained properly, will spin the tires on any surface.      So more power does no necessarily  increase the pulling capability.    Traction is the weakest link.    Axle to hub connection is probably next.

If axles and hubs are in good condition they should not cause an issue. A loose hub with loose set screws will cause you an issue.

• Like 1

fast88pu
29 minutes ago, Gregor said:

I guess if I want to do burn outs, I should get a geared trans. :D

Unless it's a 4 speed and you do boosted launches lol

• Haha 1

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, Ed Kennell said:

Axle to hub connection is probably next.

I like the loooong axle key from a GT14. 

Handy Don

Eaton specifies 15kw as the max input for the current 1100-078. That's 20.1153hp -- just where the 520 runs!

https://www.eaton.com/us/en-us/skuPage.1100-078.specifications.html

They don't mention burnouts anywhere that I can find, but I have seen a vid of a hydro doing wheelies :lol:

Edited by Handy Don
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

littleredrider

My 520H with the 10 horse diesel does wheelies pretty easily.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Gregor
6 minutes ago, littleredrider said:

My 520H with the 10 horse diesel does wheelies pretty easily.....

Dam kids. :angry-nono:

• Haha 3

roadapples
3 minutes ago, Gregor said:

Dam kids. :angry-nono:

And stay out of my yard....

• Haha 3

stevasaurus

Usually, when I see a thread like this, I don't read it...but since my name was mentioned...  Understand, that I am not trying to offend anyone, this is just my opinion and the way I am.  First, I'll say...it is your horse, and you can do what you want...period.  

I happen to be in this hobby to preserve horses, not to abuse them.  Everything I have done with videos for these transmissions has been to show they can easily be cleaned and fixed by anybody that knows what a 9/16" open end wrench looks like.  Saving transmissions equates to saving horses.  We all know there are none of these being made anymore, and there are only so many out there.  If they are not abused, they will last virtually forever.  I understand that some people live for thrill, so why don't they buy a trail bike, RV or rocket snowmobile...and help save something that can die if not preserved.??  :USA:

• Like 2
  • Heart 3

squonk

Yup. If you want to abuse something on 4 wheels. Get an ATV or a Renault! :occasion-xmas:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

elcamino/wheelhorse

Try a Smart car . Pull out all the frills , doors , roof and then roll it down a hill. He he

• Haha 2

squonk
10 minutes ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

Try a Smart car . Pull out all the frills , doors , roof and then roll it down a hill. He he

If the car was "Smart" it would roll you down the hill as you were pulling out the frills! :)

• Haha 2

pfrederi
29 minutes ago, stevasaurus said:

Usually, when I see a thread like this, I don't read it...but since my name was mentioned...  Understand, that I am not trying to offend anyone, this is just my opinion and the way I am.  First, I'll say...it is your horse, and you can do what you want...period.  

I happen to be in this hobby to preserve horses, not to abuse them.  Everything I have done with videos for these transmissions has been to show they can easily be cleaned and fixed by anybody that knows what a 9/16" open end wrench looks like.  Saving transmissions equates to saving horses.  We all know there are none of these being made anymore, and there are only so many out there.  If they are not abused, they will last virtually forever.  I understand that some people live for thrill, so why don't they buy a trail bike, RV or rocket snowmobile...and help save something that can die if not preserved.??  :USA:

:text-yeahthat:

Same here

• Like 2

Gregor

I see your point and agree. All the tractors I have done, (Wheel Horse or not) were put back to original, as much as possible. Even with my Lawn Boys. If I can't find the right motor, it will go in a box, until the right motor comes along. I too am not a fan of Frankenmowers, or Frankentractors.

That being said, I have seen some nice modifications on here, from mild to wild, and one popped into my head. Will it ever come about? I don't know. I think the cost factor is going to make it unreasonable to even try, but it will stay in my mind, just in case the "RIGHT STUFF" comes along. Nothing I have in mind, involves a cutting torch, or welder, or anything so extreme. I will do nothing to a tractor, that cannot be un-done with some time and wrenches.

EDIT: When I said back to original as much as possible, that's not entirely true  I guess. I have up-graded some tires, (at least I think they're upgrades), I have added nickle plated, and chrome hardware here and there, and switched out  useless ammeters for a volt meters. But again. Nothing that can't be un-done with a wrench.

I did weld a plate onto my 656, to temporarily mount the Predator, while I was working on the Techumseh. The plate is now gone, the welds ground smooth, and unless you were looking for it, you would never know it was there.I would NOT butcher up precious tin work for any mod. Some do, many have, but like you said, it IS their tractor, and sometimes the results are amazing. 

Edited by Gregor
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1

stevasaurus

No problem Mate.  I might have welded a plate to get rid of a Tecumseh also.  What I was referring to more, was we have had some very young members that not only destroyed horses, but enjoyed telling us about it and posting videos.  You don't have to re-build one to abuse it...I am just all about the abuse.  

I did see one once that was painted in University of Michigan colors.  That was disgusting.  :occasion-xmas:

2008_08032009eaton0004.JPG

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

littleredrider

I don't purposely do wheelies. I'll try to keep it short so don't mess up OP thread. But I had the loader on the diesel, took it off so I can finish some stuff on it. I also wanted to put the foot control on it. Well can't have both apparently, the foot control rod interferes with the subframe. So, took it off, put the control back on, put the plow on it to push snow. But before i did that, i was almost on the driveway and stopped for some reason, i hit the pedal hard on accident, and it popped a wheelie. IMO it's hard on the machine, and don't normally do it. Many young kids destroy these not knowing any better. 

• Like 3
  • Heart 1

Gregor

When I first got my 656, and had the Predator on it, I did a couple wheelies. My first gear tractor. I dam sure wasn't expecting it. :scared-eek:

• Haha 3

squonk
12 minutes ago, Gregor said:

When I first got my 656, and had the Predator on it, I did a couple wheelies. My first gear tractor. I dam sure wasn't expecting it. :scared-eek:

The tractor wasn't used to all the power available from the predator over the Tecky! :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2