helpmefixmygt14

GT 14 weak hydro

helpmefixmygt14

i bought this gt14 and don’t know much about it, got it running good and it really doesn’t like hills or towing anything. help would be very much appreciated. thanks

Edited by helpmefixmygt14

daveoman1966

The GT-14 was made from 1969 -1972...meaning it is 50+ yrs old. With out a doubt, the hydro pump has internal wear causing low power which deteriorates as the hydro warms up...right?  There are internal soft brass surfaces that get scored causing loss of hydraulic pressure, leading to power loss.  The only solution is a rebuild.  You can try replacing the filter and fluid (ATF or motor oil) which mignt help a little bit, but eventually rebuild is in order.  Your GT-14 tractor has the Sundstrand model 90-2062 Hydro-Gear unit and I have the 'refurbished' parts you'll need.  That is, 1) Cylinder block & 9 brass pistons (2) charge pump housing with Gerotor set, (3) Thurst plate.  I can also provide you with a supplier for the Gaskets and O-rings needed. ps..I've rebuilt many of these over the 30 years of working with Wheelhorse tractors.

For further info and pics, send me an email.  

My email is:  daveoman@windstream.net    

• Like 4
  • Excellent 2

953 nut

:WRS:

Is the transmission strong in reverse but not when going forward? There are spring loaded valves called "Acceleration Valves" that control fluid flow and can cause poor performance if the springs have been broken.

Hear is a free download of the Sundstrand Service Manual. There is a trouble shooting guide in there that should be helpful.

• Excellent 2

Pullstart

:text-welcomeconfetti:

The GT14 is an awesome machine once you get these bugs worked out.  There are fellas here that could likely fix these automatic transmissions blindfolded.  You’ll be doing tractor things in no time!

• Like 1

oliver2-44

The guy above have got you fixed up.

Start with checking the small things

Check the transmission oil level and condition ( It could be red which means its ATF, or yellow/brown 10w30 engine oil)

If the fluid is milky gray it has water in it and definitely needs to be changed..

helpmefixmygt14

i checked the fluid and it wasn’t low and i can push the tractor when the relief valve is open or closed and it moves in both too

helpmefixmygt14

some pics

E519543A-C234-482F-B06F-57022A57149A.jpeg

96642A8D-DB5D-4A14-BBF1-143D86F85FC9.jpeg

928E7752-3B1C-4DA4-B00D-DF6B8EA8798D.jpeg

helpmefixmygt14

and it’s equally weak in both directions 

daveoman1966

These are the Internal components I can provide.  The O-rings & Copper seals are new.  Both faces of the Charge Pump Housing AND the Gerotor set are resurfaced.  The Brass face of the 9 Piston slippers are hand refinished as well as the Base of the Cylinder Block.  The Thrust Washer is perfectly smooth too.  

Email for price of lot   I am:

daveoman@windstream.net

I have other good used internal parts too...valves, springs, etc.

2062 003.JPG

2062 004.JPG

2062 002.JPG

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Thatoneguy
      By Thatoneguy
      So I washed my rear end and sundstrand 90-1136 and now the by pass valves leaks when I screw it in past a certain point.  If I screw it all the way in I can sit there and watch the fluid start seeping past it.   I changed the o-ring with an R-04 i believe is what it was.   Do these require some sort of thread sealer? There was nothing on it when I took it out, and when I used the valve to push the tractor in my shop it worked fine and has never leaked. Any ideas would be wonderful! 

• mattd860
      By mattd860
      I have developed a kit that allows a Wheel Horse / Toro hydrostatic tractor to be operated by a pedal on the right side of the tractor. The original forward/reverse lever can be retained or removed. The kit includes everything needed to install the pedal kit and installation is simple with the help of a downloadable installation manual. Additionally, only one (1) 1/4" hole will need to be drilled which can be done by a hand drill. No other drilling or cutting will be necessary. Any tractor with this kit can be converted back to stock without any visible evidence that kit was installed. However, you'll never want to do that

The kit operates very simply and similar to modern tractors. When the pedal is pushed forwards the tractor will move forwards. When the reverse pedal is pressed downwards, the tractor will moved in reverse. If the operator takes his foot of the pedal at any time, the pedal will automatically center itself and the hydrostatic transmission will return to neutral (stop). This enables the operator to use both hands on the steering wheel or one hand on the wheel and the other operating an attachment like a snow blower, plow, etc.

The foot pedal is custom cast in Aluminum, uses brass bushings to minimize wear, and it closely matches the OEM Wheel Horse BRAKE pedal commonly found on 8-speed manual transmission tractors. Modifications were done to the pedal to add the reverse pedal and adapt the pedal to the rest of the kit. For the most part, the pedal looks like it was designed and manufactured by Wheel Horse / Toro. Additionally, a grease fitting has been adapted to the pedal to further minimize wear and tear and if the brass bushings ever wear out they are fully replaceable without having to buy a whole new pedal. 

The pedal kit fits the following series tractors with Eaton hydrostatic transmissions: C-1X5, 300, 400, 500. 

My kit can be adapted to older hydrostatic tractors with the Sundstrand transmission, however, you will need to find an updated hydro cam commonly found on ebay. Message me for more information. 

Here is a link where you can download the installation manual: CLICK HERE

I am selling these kits for $330 shipped to anywhere in the United States. I offer multi order discounts as well. I will also sell to other countries for additional shipping charges to be determined.

If anyone has any questions please feel free to PM me or post your question here and I will be glad to help. Or you can email me at mattdarling02@hotmail.com.

Thanks!

Below are pictures of the complete kit and the pedal installed on the tractor. Some modifications have been made since these pictures were taken. For example, the reverse pedal is now cast in aluminum instead of the steel pedal shown below. 

• olivertractor
      By olivertractor
      I was pulling a roller and thatch rake the other day with my c120 hydro and noticed oil on the back of the fender. On looking closer I saw the plug thing on the back of the pump leaking oil. Any advice on how serious this will be to repair? Anything helps

• Maxwell-8
      By Maxwell-8
      So yesterday I picked-up a C175. She was rusting away as she was stored outside. She had a new to her Kohler K341. @squonk The previous owner indeed better had"LET AN ELECTRICIAN      CHECK his  SHORTS!"  as bad wiring shorted the battery out, and exploded/melted. She has a Sundstrand hydro pump with a Filter, is that normal? By the pump I believe it's a 1980. But you never now for sure as it's made in Oevel. Due to the bad wiring, the engine was in no running condition. But don't think the K341 has many hours on it. The hydro I don't know if it works. She was hard to push. So i lift up one wheel, so we could roll here one one wheel and the diff prevented the trans from locking up.
      So first things to do:
      1) get the engine running
      2) replace the steering wheel, but don't think removing it will be very hard as it's already split in two.
      3) replace the axleseals, the oil leak caused a lot of sandbuild up as she was mainly used on for leveling out a horse track.
      4) clean all the acid and remove all the old wiring to do a full rewiring
      5) replace the plastic seat pan with a metal.
      6)...

I'm looking forward on my first C. 
      It's also my first hydro, I don't know a lot about them and prefer actual gears. Simpler and need less maintenance (parts-shortage). 
      But since I couldn't find another project WH and me hearing a lot of good things about hydro's  on the forum..  I finally took the shot.  

• Brian33
      By Brian33
      Hello, 

I am hoping someone can help my. I recently acquired a c160 for the engine for another tractor. So I did a motor swap and wanted to see what the hydro was like. I put a plow on it C-160 (which now has a 12hp engine on it). I did a quick test run and everything was good. I drained the fluid and change the filter (Napa 1410 filter and sae 30 transmission fluid as it stated to only use this fluid on the tractor.) everything was working great after the fluid change. I plowed two driveways and the sidewalks near my house... all the sudden the tractor would not go forwards or in reverse. I tried to pick the plow up and nothing... I checked my drive belt it was turning like it should. I started to push the tractor and the rear was engaged so it would not move. Of course I was 400’ from my driveway and the plow was down which made it fun. I put the tractor in forward and started to push it and the thing took off. So I hopped on and took it to the front of the garage. I put it in revers and it cut out again so I pushed it in the garage. Today I went out to check the tow valve. I took it out and cleaned the threads up put it back in and it did not change anything. According to the dipstick I have the proper amount of fluid in it. I did have a drip that I fixed on the cylinder still nothing... does anyone out there have any tips to help me out? I’ve never had a transmission like this only manual transmissions. The model of this transmission is the sundstrand 90-1140.
      Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Brian