Monroe657

657 transmission leaky seals and a hammer

Monroe657

Hello all. New member here. 

I've been given a 1967 657 wheel horse. It has been sitting for who knows how long. The engine was seized. I installed an engine I had laying around to see if everything works and if this thing was worth restoring. (I am going to be using it quite often on my farm).

Here's the scoop. Everything works, all gears, no funny noises. I drove it around just enough to test the gears. Well I have a seal leaking on both sides where the axles go into the transmission. 

I attempted to take a wheel hub off with a mallet (stupid mistake highlighted red). Now I have 1/8 inch of play in the axle, it pushes in and out (green).

How bad did I screw this one up? 

Do I have to take apart the transmission to install new seals?

I am not too attached to this tractor. If it ends up being a costly repair, I have other toys to put money towards. I'd consider myself mechanically inclined, sometimes I just happen to have a hammer in my hand

Thanks for reading. Any input is welcome.

Screenshot_20210204-101447_Chrome.jpg

• Like 1

rmaynard

A 1/8" in/out play is okay. However, you are lucky that you didn't break the hub. Search the forum for removing hubs and you will see many home-made hub pullers that really do work. A three claw puller is almost as bad as a hammer, so avoid them too. Once the hubs are off, seals are easily replaced from the outside. The hub on the left side looks like it should be easy to remove since it has been well soaked with transmission oil, as is evident in the picture.

Oh, and welcome to RedSquare.

:WRS:

Edited by rmaynard
  • Like 2

pfrederi

:text-yeahthat:

Welcome!!

71_Bronco

your tractor should have the 5053 transmission. All of mine have a little bit of in-and-out play.

Make sure you remove the grub screws in the hubs, they "lock" the hub onto the axle. You can see the screw on the right side.

As others have stated, be careful when "beating" the hubs off. There are people on here who have cracked / broken them in this way.

There should be a list somewhere on this forum of the seals, or you can get them from Wheel Horse Parts and More dot com.

• Like 1

WHX??

:WRS:

There's another guy on here @The Tuul Crib who's from Nashville he might have a hub puller made up. Getting hubs and steering wheels off is a rite of passage to manhood around here.  Jack it up and check the axle up and down movement. More than a little bit the bearings are shot too. 

Edited by WHX24
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1

The Tuul Crib
7 hours ago, Monroe657 said:

Hello all. New member here. 

I've been given a 1967 657 wheel horse. It has been sitting for who knows how long. The engine was seized. I installed an engine I had laying around to see if everything works and if this thing was worth restoring. (I am going to be using it quite often on my farm).

Here's the scoop. Everything works, all gears, no funny noises. I drove it around just enough to test the gears. Well I have a seal leaking on both sides where the axles go into the transmission. 

I attempted to take a wheel hub off with a mallet (stupid mistake highlighted red). Now I have 1/8 inch of play in the axle, it pushes in and out (green).

How bad did I screw this one up? 

Do I have to take apart the transmission to install new seals?

I am not too attached to this tractor. If it ends up being a costly repair, I have other toys to put money towards. I'd consider myself mechanically inclined, sometimes I just happen to have a hammer in my hand

Thanks for reading. Any input is welcome.

Screenshot_20210204-101447_Chrome.jpg

Hey Monroe. Nice to have another

horse-a-holic or soon to be! Send me a PM I might be able to help you with those seals!

Maxwell-8

Use a good puller! no hammer: preferably going to thru the 5 holes.

First completly remove the bolts on the inner side of the hubs and spray some penetrating oil in there.

DSC_0275.JPG.60b8332058d2efd6b1fe71ba301f1b13.JPG

DSC_0274.JPG.c1be293233c4e454f9c358aa67393517.JPG

If you use a hammer, this will happen: DSC_0282.JPG.5f8eaefe4a0944c1ad59721da68240ed.JPG

When removing the seal, don't dig in to deep, or you will be damaging the bearing:

DSC_0280.JPG.83499a16729af499c1f2a67641beb6cc.JPG

Only seals can be replaced without opening the tranny

PS. these mistakes were not caused by me, i bought them like this, knowing an mostly not knowing.

Edited by Maxwell-8

oliver2-44

Here's a cross reference chart with bearings and seals for your transmission. you can get them from a local industrial bearing supply place such as Motion Industries.  

As mentioned above, you can also get them from one of our vendors, just google "Wheelhorse Parts and More"

PS the 657 is a neat old model. These horses will amaze you with the amount of work they will do for there size.  Also, I you wan to try and save the original engine fill the crankcase and pul the plug and fill the cylinder with diesel or kerosene.  Let it set in the sun and every few days give the shaft a wiggle.  It just might break free. 

1188150191_UNIDRIVETRANS2.jpg.08d9ff76717ec16909f718affa1ad865.jpg

• Like 3

Monroe657

Thanks for all the helpful replies! You all have definitely made this task easier.

Awesome! Let's hope it stays at 1/8inch of play@rmaynard

Thanks.@pfrederi

Ah, I did not know what that screw was for... maybe I should of talked on this forum before stepping into unknown territory with this tractor @71_Bronco

No hammer, a good puller. @Maxwell-8

Thanks for the cross ref chart! @oliver2-44

I hope I dont have to take the steering wheel off @WHX24

I should be able to order the seals soon. After that, tires for the rear, I was going to go for the Carlisle 6-12 ag ones. I'm not sure on the fronts, I need wheels and tires for the fronts. I have the size and type, I'm just on a tight budget. Of course I'm going to change the fluid in it as well. Then I just need an idle pulley, various cables, some belts for the deck mower, grease..paint.. the list goes on! But this is the fun. I'm not going to restore it to its former beauty, but it will run solid and look decent, this one is gonna put in some work.

I think I have a video somewhere of first start with the predator engine. I had it idled up a bit high and let it loose in 3rd. Did a wheel that threw me off the back of it. Then in a bit of trying to gather my marbles, it took me a minute to get my foot repositioned to pressing the clutch. Drove straight through my garden, luckily not planted since it's too cold right now.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Monroe657

I wont do this again. It didnt hurt anything.

Edited by Monroe657
Added words
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

rjg854

:WRS: @Monroe657  yeah, as you well know,   "now"    you gotta be a little careful letting the clutch out.  I've got an 854 that's a little touchy like that, each of my gear jammers engage a bit differently from each other.