Wheel Horse 3D

Custom 3d printed badges, ornaments etc.

Wheel Horse 3D

Theres a ton of files already out there for lego, it might be possible to design and print a WH set!

DennisThornton

How in the world are these done?  All the measurements!

ebinmaine

I'd love to see a model of the 1974 to '77 C Series and mid sixties square hood. 

Not Lego stuff but a decent representation with close scale proportion. 

• Like 1
  • Heart 1

SylvanLakeWH
8 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

I'd love to see a model of the 1974 to '77 C Series and mid sixties square hood. 

Not Lego stuff but a decent representation with close scale proportion. 

There’s someone who does them... I’ve seen posts on here... not sure who?

• Like 2

Wheel Horse 3D

I just got my hands on an original ornament, and have re-scaled the original replacement.

Gonna have to use even smaller screws. But have eliminated the extra in all dimensions.

For now ill leave the little extra on the horsies, just feels right lol.

Edited by Wheel Horse 3D
  • Like 1

Wheel Horse 3D

Even an inch to mm conversion(60in down to 60mm) would make a nice model. If someone can get me detailed schmatics, im sure i can come up with a reasonable likeness.

Where i work they would simply die for a scale model of some of our equipment lol.

Edited by Wheel Horse 3D
  • Like 2

Wheel Horse 3D

More requests......

16141316908924119496701598189659.jpg

ebinmaine
9 hours ago, Wheel Horse 3D said:

More requests......

16141316908924119496701598189659.jpg

My 1974/77 Cinnamon Horse C160 has a steering center like that. What do you need?

Wheel Horse 3D
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

My 1974/77 Cinnamon Horse C160 has a steering center like that. What do you need?

Ive got these in hand, so I should be good lol

Just have to make time to get the models done!

DennisThornton
11 hours ago, Wheel Horse 3D said:

Even an inch to mm conversion(60in down to 60mm) would make a nice model. If someone can get me detailed schmatics, im sure i can come up with a reasonable likeness.

Where i work they would simply die for a scale model of some of our equipment lol.

How?

Wheel Horse 3D
49 minutes ago, DennisThornton said:

How?

A pair of calipers goes a long way! If ya know one dimension you can come pretty durn close to one ya dont know. Say ya know the rim is 8".

In a picture it may be 1/4 inch or say 5mm.well 

If you have a straight on side view you can use your calipers take that and walk it all over the place. If ya use the calipers to take that 8" and scribe it in half, you can now get down to 4 inch resolution. Half again and youre within 2 inches.

Even somethinh like a lug nut, or hub of a known dimension can be helpful. Once ya nail down what 1mm represents in actual length then a ruler and calipers can extrapolate a lot.

It wouldnt be EXACT but the proportions and eveything would match.

• Like 1

Wheel Horse 3D

Theres even a way to extrapolate an svg file from a photo, which while it wouldnt create the whole model it would give you dimensions to work off of and round out in a cad program.

• Excellent 1

DennisThornton
2 minutes ago, Wheel Horse 3D said:

A pair of calipers goes a long way! If ya know one dimension you can come pretty durn close to one ya dont know. Say ya know the rim is 8".

In a picture it may be 1/4 inch or say 5mm.well 

If you have a straight on side view you can use your calipers take that and walk it all over the place. If ya use the calipers to take that 8" and scribe it in half, you can now get down to 4 inch resolution. Half again and youre within 2 inches.

Even somethinh like a lug nut, or hub of a known dimension can be helpful. Once ya nail down what 1mm represents in actual length then a ruler and calipers can extrapolate a lot.

It wouldnt be EXACT but the proportions and eveything would match.

Overwhelming details!  X3! 

A friend has a very expensive 3D scanner but I don't know it's resolution.  It ways a couple tons!  Nikon I think.  I know there are smaller ones and I assume with sufficient detail to do this. Sure won't be me. 

Wheel Horse 3D

Yeah a 3D scanner would be awesome even a handheld one! But $$$$$$$

ebinmaine

I can give you all the measurements you want with a stick ruler but I don't have any calipers to go with. 

• Like 1

Wheel Horse 3D

Any dimension and related photos is info. Your eye can fill in a lot too. Is the slope there right? Is that parallel to that other piece there? Etc etc.

With the original ornament model all i had to go on were stick measurements, and i added .2 inches in all dimensions to accomodate the screws but maintain proportions. When I got a hold of the real deal, i wad almost exactly .2 over in each dimension. So same process, just way more modeling!

• Like 1

DennisThornton
1 hour ago, Wheel Horse 3D said:

No idea of the resolution or features but I'm seeing some for under $200.

Wheel Horse 3D

Definately one of the things on my upgrade list!

DennisThornton
4 minutes ago, Wheel Horse 3D said:

Definately one of the things on my upgrade list!

I had no idea they had come down so much but I also have no idea how much they will do.  BUT!  If one could scan something as big as one could print!  Oh my!  Piece the broken one back, find a good one, build a prototype and then print all you needed!  Wow!  Make most anything plastic.

Wheel Horse 3D
42 minutes ago, DennisThornton said:

I had no idea they had come down so much but I also have no idea how much they will do.  BUT!  If one could scan something as big as one could print!  Oh my!  Piece the broken one back, find a good one, build a prototype and then print all you needed!  Wow!  Make most anything plastic.

Yep ya could make a replacement of almost anything PDQ. The biggest thing is getting a good closed object once done. Any gaps in the scan and you end up with an object with holes the cad doesnt know what to do with. Then ya have to go adjust and close gaps etc.

Ya wouldnt need a huge resolution unless you needed pin point accuracy.

• Like 1

Tractorhead

Tried some experiments

the first tests i did with an XBox kinect Sensor and open Source SW, 

47C86E40-9766-4DF5-AA2D-E7DD252722E9.jpeg.e081e9e59b7572ca7ad936862a0434a0.jpeg

but they be to worse in resolution on smaller detailful things.

Resolution of the kinect was to weak, even Software was to Alpha in that stadium, 

you see how dusty it is, that fit‘s to my tries before i stop them. 😎

than i tried the ciclop Scanner with Horus open source SW from Jesus.

F2F1C84F-7186-4AEC-8B3C-260E37342EFC.jpeg.24504cc39ac1214fd3c5c23ab159de82.jpeg

http://diwo.bq.com/de/einfuhrung-ciclop-und-horus/

That gives me for less money the best results.

a cheap Webcam an Arduino 2 line lasers a stepper motor and a Stepperdriver like on 3D Printerboards 

and little open Source Software. Without the time  for build all, Definitely worth a try for the cost.

all in all under 200$

but i like it more to spent actually time in my Shed, than to play on the 3 D Scan and printer actually.

Wheel Horse 3D

The kinect i think is a very economical solution for larger items! I can imagine scanning a whole tractor with one of those setups! Im actually suprised i dont already have one of those around i have all sorts of scavenged game system stuff but alas no kinect

• Like 1

bc.gold
14 hours ago, Wheel Horse 3D said:

Have you tried Sketchup.

8ntruck

I contracted some 3d scanner work to capture some hand tuning done on die details.  The scanner worked fine.  The hard part was taking the point cloud the scanner produced and turning it into a useable solid in CAD to get the CNC program that would make a duplicate of the hand worked part.

• Like 1

Wheel Horse 3D
1 hour ago, bcgold said:

Have you tried Sketchup.

Sketchup never seemed to flow for me, i use Autodesk 123design, and when it comes to point clouds and meshes im hoping Meshmixer will suit me