BeninCT

Sliding rail forklift style FEL?

BeninCT
52 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

I'd guess heavier but that lift is impressive!

It could be with the winch and heavy bumper I built.  Not sure but wondering about spindle upgrade if possible. At the least I could weld some bracket on the spindles I have

• Like 1

BeninCT
1 hour ago, DennisThornton said:

I'm certainly following along because I think there's a good idea here and I want to see where it goes.

Will try to get a video up for you and @ebinmaine once the snow passes and plow can come off.

It really lifts steadily but its so lightly built that a really heavy load that slid off the forks could damage it I think.  I just need to keep loads light and it will last forever I think.  do something dump and have it go wrong and it could be th end.

• Like 2

ebinmaine
9 minutes ago, BeninCT said:

larger spindles and 8” wheels that can be swapped into this model

The spindles are the same diameter. 

Just remember to be very slow moving when loaded. 

I run a crane occasionally for a living. 

There's an incredibly huge difference between static load and dynamic load. 

elcamino/wheelhorse

I really like it.  You did a great job. Got to get working on my REL along with 9000 other projects that have been put off too long. Keep us up dated.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

BeninCT
1 minute ago, ebinmaine said:

The spindles are the same diameter. 

Just remember to be very slow moving when loaded. 

I run a crane occasionally for a living. 

There's an incredibly huge difference between static load and dynamic load. 

Ok thx.  

I hear you on the moving weight esp up high.  Spent some time in hilly terrain in a backhoe with rubber tires and you learn real quick!  I am keep loads light though forever of course ;)

• Like 1

ebinmaine
10 minutes ago, BeninCT said:

I could weld some bracket on the spindles I have

That's the best bet right there. 

BeninCT
2 minutes ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

I really like it.  You did a great job. Got to get working on my REL along with 9000 other projects that have been put off too long. Keep us up dated.

Time will tell- like any projects there are always things to learn/ rework along the way.

Build that REL- would like to see it and will save you more time than you spend building it prob

elcamino/wheelhorse

I have plenty of time , just no energy . The lack of space in the shed means most of my projects are worked outside . I think I could build a 40 x 80 foot building and it would look like @pullstart  work shop without all the racks and tow motor . Pile after pile .

• Haha 1

Handy Don
15 minutes ago, BeninCT said:

Are the larger spindles and 8” wheels that can be swapped into this model?

Most of the 8" wheels have 1" shorter but similarly constructed spindles with the same ¾" diameter (except for the rare "upgrade" kit where the spindles had added reinforcement.) The 520's with swept forward axles have 1" spindles with reinforcements (the extra 2" of forward wheelbase and track made room for the 60" mower deck and helped give FEL tractors better balance).

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

BeninCT
58 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

Most of the 8" wheels have 1" shorter but similarly constructed spindles with the same ¾" diameter (except for the rare "upgrade" kit where the spindles had added reinforcement.) The 520's with swept forward axles have 1" spindles with reinforcements (the extra 2" of forward wheelbase and track made room for the 60" mower deck and helped give FEL tractors better balance).

Ok so maybe I practice up on my welding and gusset those suckers.  

• Like 1

BeninCT
1 hour ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

I have plenty of time , just no energy . The lack of space in the shed means most of my projects are worked outside . I think I could build a 40 x 80 foot building and it would look like @pullstart  work shop without all the racks and tow motor . Pile after pile .

Agreed- not been feeling great lately myself but idle hands do not sit well with me.  Always working on something and the older I get the more think of projects that will help me when I am even older.

• Like 2

Lee1977
53 minutes ago, BeninCT said:

Ok so maybe I practice up on my welding and gusset those suckers.  

I did on the spindles for the 6" wheel.

SAM-0477.jpg

SAM-0483.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

BeninCT

@Lee1977 ah perfect thank you.  Nice work.  Why did you do that?  Just curious

• Like 1

Lee1977
Just now, BeninCT said:

@Lee1977 ah perfect thank you.  Nice work.  Why did you do that?  Just curious

I raised the tractor put 400x8 tri ribs on front and 25x900x 12 on the rear. The rear fender ,gas tank and the fender bracket was raised 1 3/4".

SAM-0882.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

BeninCT

@Lee1977 looks tough like that and a rear winch too.  Mine is on front which Ithink will just tow the front end all over if I use it for level line action.  

The spindle talk has me thinking I could make a set and put larger fronts on (by raising the spindle 1’ closer to the cast iron front axle).  Food for thought but I need a lathe before than can happen too.

ebinmaine
7 hours ago, BeninCT said:

@Lee1977 looks tough like that and a rear winch too.  Mine is on front which Ithink will just tow the front end all over if I use it for level line action.  

The spindle talk has me thinking I could make a set and put larger fronts on (by raising the spindle 1’ closer to the cast iron front axle).  Food for thought but I need a lathe before than can happen too.

You can buy used spindles for 8" wheels  by the baker's dozen. 

You wanna get all fancy you can even change over to trailer spindles and 4 or 5 lug front wheels. 

• Like 1

BeninCT
9 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

You can buy used spindles for 8" wheels  by the baker's dozen. 

You wanna get all fancy you can even change over to trailer spindles and 4 or 5 lug front wheels. 

Feeling fancy enough for now but good to know. Don’t need to spend any more on this thing right now.

Last shot of the winch bumper w/o the forklift attachment.  Getting ready for tomorrow’s snow..

9C8CA6D9-5ABF-4889-BFF9-57E8B7427D33.jpeg

BFCB5AF4-38A6-4388-9D2C-593968BC846B.jpeg

• Like 4

BeninCT

Finally put it too work today and man its so capable!  Ran lumber, buckets of soil, bags of gravel and all kinds of stuff around the yard all day. Used the forks for a workbench, Sat on them for a cup of coffee.   Steering is very heavy though with more than 150 on them.  Freshly greased too so need to limit the weight but that is the only issue so far. 

Here it is with 250# of gravel like its nothing :)

1D2088B8-0067-4407-8B8B-0F46F3D47B73.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

BeninCT

Couple more- little chipper went up on the bench to get looked at- 

CA94AD5D-DF93-4136-A547-60A65FB80C5D.jpeg

E384EDFF-F8C5-410D-AEED-7B8F92F6741D.jpeg

6774DE26-F28C-4B5A-8806-D458D9C9CFDD.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 4

elcamino/wheelhorse

Man I love it . Looks like it will lift and move just about anything . looks like you are going a lot of work around your place. Like that lean to shed. How big is it ?

• Like 1

ebinmaine

Super cool to see it working for you!

Did you put needle bearings on the axle to ease steering?

BeninCT
9 hours ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

Man I love it . Looks like it will lift and move just about anything . looks like you are going a lot of work around your place. Like that lean to shed. How big is it ?

Thanks!

I call it north West Virginia (sorry west virginians) because it really looks terrible but for 6 sheets of plywood and a few 2x4’s and some scrap EPDM roof membrane everything stays dry.  I think its 8 x 16.  Perfect for the green tractor and my leaf vac(s). Need to get rid of one actually I think. 

More than anything this forklift is just a great option to pick up heavy stuff and my property is 1.4 acres which isnt huge but if you need to move a few cement blocks from one end to another its a long walk (500’ in longest direction). 

• Like 2

BeninCT
4 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Super cool to see it working for you!

Did you put needle bearings on the axle to ease steering?

No its all stock- maybe this fall I will gusset the fronts and add them.  Do you have a link to where I could find them?

ebinmaine
7 minutes ago, BeninCT said:

No its all stock- maybe this fall I will gusset the fronts and add them.  Do you have a link to where I could find them?

Mcmaster Carr would have them. 

You'll want 2 roller bearings and 4 hardened washers. They'll likely be sold as a set. 

The bottom of the spindle will need to be ground a little to make space for the bearings. 

Easy mod. 

• Like 1

Gregor

I was a welder just out of high school. I use to build fork lifts. These fork lifts were rated at several thousand pounds. This pic is not to scale of course, but it gives you the general idea

.foorklift.png.1577d7d21c7d25a54f299336a73b8b97.pngWhen the bearing stud was welded into the mast, it was at an angle, putting the bearing at an angle. I never new the why of this. "Mine is not to reason why, mine is but to do, or get the he!! out". So I dood !

Edited by Gregor
  • Like 1