BeninCT

Sliding rail forklift style FEL?

BeninCT

Anyone ever build something like this?  I have never seen one but have been noodling on a set of lighter duty rails (prob 3 x 3 x 5/16” angle) that could be mounted vertically on the front of a tractor with a cart that moves up and down (hydraulic, cable operated, linear actuator) with a bucket on it.  Uses would be light gardening, moving firewood and mulch so prob never more than 100 lbs in it and no need to get up high and dump though It should reach a pick up bed.  Not ever to be used for digging/grading just for moving light loads so maybe FEL is the wrong term.  

Have seen some plow buckets that come close but no height to them and dumping always leaves something to be desired to me anyway.  I have seen the Johnny bucket and 3 or 4 other offerings but they are all hinged plow buckets or shortened FEL designs- I am talking vertical rails that slide on themselves like a forklift.  The MAIN advantage would be that it would keep the load very close to the front axle which is always the weak point and carrying 100 lbs close to your belt is much easier than with your arms straight :)

Anyone have anything similar in mind or a pic of something to share?  

Here is a simple home made lift that is similar to what I had in mind.  I really don’t like the cable operation but I get why people use them when range of motion is so long and the cost of a 12v winch is so ridiculously low.

• Like 1

Alex175

There been some out there in the marketplace, here is a link to an older thread on this forum about one from a company called Elec-Trak, this one specifically was mounted on the front of one of the Wheel Horse electric models.  If you search fork lift here on the forums there are a couple of other ones shown out there from home made to manufactured.

BeninCT

Haha @Alex175 must be “fun” to bring to a show lol.  So, imagine that but 1/3 the size made from 3” angles instead of 7” U channels.   Bet it weight 500lbs and looks like it runs on 220v..  

Looks like the kind of thing people would really overload without knowing.  

image.jpeg.39e0c5306ff85e26719e715156f052a7.jpeg

JoeM

Sure looks simple enough and might be made strong enough to stack horses in the shed?

• Excellent 1

ebinmaine

That would be some handy. 

Darb1964

I like the casters on the ground, makes it very stable. That would be handy around my place, got me thinking.

BeninCT

Check out this old thread I found here- Exactly what i had in mind except I don’t think I want/need to go as tall.  

• Like 1

ebinmaine

I remember that one.

That kind of thing would be all kinds of Handy and then some

DennisThornton
3 hours ago, BeninCT said:

Check out this old thread I found here- Exactly what i had in mind except I don’t think I want/need to go as tall.  

I had hope to get more info on that, but...

And I did expect it to make a bigger splash here because I think it is so darned simple and so darned handy.  Show what a guy can do with not much!

• Like 1

BeninCT
1 hour ago, DennisThornton said:

I had hope to get more info on that, but...

And I did expect it to make a bigger splash here because I think it is so darned simple and so darned handy.  Show what a guy can do with not much!

Started mocking one up tonight so stay tuned.  Found a bunch of good info here and online and I think my lightweight (mulch/firewood) machine will really be a huge help.  Just looking to get up to a tailgate not too high so was happy to find this.  Hard to make it look good and not be like a gallows on the tractor though lol. 

BeninCT

Some shots found online-  food for thought.

02A27DBC-0DF8-4F17-8DEF-EE68E6B7EAB5.jpeg

5972B6AC-EB00-466D-83DF-ED5488D82B87.jpeg

5309A0C8-7255-4B50-98F7-5C249B014A40.jpeg

DennisThornton
40 minutes ago, BeninCT said:

Some shots found online-  food for thought.

02A27DBC-0DF8-4F17-8DEF-EE68E6B7EAB5.jpeg

5972B6AC-EB00-466D-83DF-ED5488D82B87.jpeg

5309A0C8-7255-4B50-98F7-5C249B014A40.jpeg

I have all of those saved. 

Problem with the front lift is it has no traction and limited weight.  Might lift it but can't go anywhere.  Problem with the rear lift is my neck and limited steering.  I'd settle for 500lb lift but would really prefer a 1000.  If it lifted high enough to load a pickup I'd be happy.  So to me it seems like I'm limited to the rear with maybe a 4ft lift.

BeninCT

Just need to move some mulch and logs and the occasional box out of the truck so agree this should do.  Want to keep it light and simple to not clog up the tractor too much plus removable so I don’t have to look at it every day.  Suspect it will sty on tho prob....

• Like 2

BeninCT

Spent about 6 hours today getting a decent start on this.  Set it up so it will tilt forward and back which is a great feature for a forklift if you have ever run one.  Will have to control this with a lever or linear actuator motor (prob do this for control).  Can only really tilt when wheels are straight which I did because it allows me to keep the uprights close to the front end to minimize counter weight needed and overall length plus strain on front spindles.

Will find a way to set up a 12v winch either under the machine or right on the “front bumper” which is what this looks like when you pull the pin and take off the upright section.  Nice and clean.  Shaft is 3/4 inside 1” black iron pipe all fully welded.  I have a welder and new plasma cutter but this is my first fabricating project where moving parts will have to be made to fit something and I am pretty happy so far though I definitely spent a lot of time with the grinder erasing sloppy looking welds.  Good penetration though and they grind clean so I know its strong.  

Will be able to stay on with plow in up or down position it misses by  1 1/2” in the center.   Only drilled 1 hole in frame on R side near attach o matic since the hole location on the L side is farther back and I wanted to get a little more leverage on the loads plus spread the attachment points apart on the WH.  It snaps into the front attach o matic as well so using all I can.  Will be able to easily reach truck bed at 36” and maybe closer to 4’.  Perfect for mulch and firewood and the occasional box of something.  Dumping feature will make it fun though a heavy load being leaned that far forward could throw an operator right out of the seat so will have to make sure to study the load handling characteristics when its all done.

Waiting on unistrut trolleys to make moving cart/forks/bucket as well as winch, pulleys and a few other odds from “the jungle” as you all call it.  

Fun project.  Would love any and all comments and criticism.  Don’t be shy.

Mods should this be in Modifications sections?

4A16E6FE-A2C7-4F8A-AC61-B6216B6E9BA1.jpeg

C0465103-BD4C-4B57-9D66-D7708C4C687D.jpeg

68B21B54-CAFE-467C-A2C7-E9F05B654B05.jpeg

• Excellent 2

BeninCT

Couple more pics- who doesnt like more pics :)  

Little primer in the 2nd shot

8DC0987C-016E-4DA2-A264-1409E06A07F8.jpeg

F6E7AF46-CB4F-4220-87F8-E3CC055BF230.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

DennisThornton

:popcorn:

• Thanks 1

ebinmaine

Nice work so far. 

Like the unistrut usage. 

Great stuff. 

Those trolleys are some handy. 

I have one for a chain falls. 

32 minutes ago, BeninCT said:

Don’t be shy.

Positive and constructive yes. 

Shy?

Not around here.....

:happy-partydance:

• Like 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

like what you are doing . Have you given any thought about a sub frame to handle the weight ? 

• Like 1

ebinmaine
9 minutes ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

handle the weight

Hey thanks for reminding me. 

I was gonna write that if the spindles become a concern they can be beefed up with a brace. 

• Like 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

I just was thinking that a lot of weight on the front of the frame may cause a problem where the frame and trans meet.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
5 minutes ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

I just was thinking that a lot of weight on the front of the frame may cause a problem where the frame and trans meet.

I can see the logic there. 

Easy enough to brace that area too. 

Couple pieces of angle iron and some drilling. 

BeninCT
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

Nice work so far. 

Like the unistrut usage. 

Great stuff. 

Those trolleys are some handy. 

I have one for a chain falls. 

Positive and constructive yes. 

Shy?

Not around here.....

:happy-partydance:

Unistrut is VERY strong stuff.  I’m 230lbs and standing in the middle of a 5’ pc there is maybe 1/2” of flex.  The rolling section with forks will have 4 trollies with 4 wheels each so I think it will be the weak point but only start to deflect when there is maybe. 300lbs on the forks so we’ll see,   Not designed for a million lbs... 

Will see what it weighs and how I use it- spindles are next weak point agreed- have seen welded braces so may get there but think the loads will be light until they are not!  

• Excellent 1

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, BeninCT said:

think the loads will be light until they are not!

Hugemongous logic there. 

I believe you to be correct. 

• Like 1

BeninCT
1 hour ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

like what you are doing . Have you given any thought about a sub frame to handle the weight ? 

Not really- I think this will be ok for the weights I plan to use it for- what do you think?   (Thx for bringing this up)

Hope to just have maybe 100lbs in it max but suspect it will handle more.  Good point though the frame on the tractor is just 2x2 angle but its the old mild steel based on the one hole I drilled so think it will flex before cracking.

What other attachments use a sub frame?  I think a snow blower hangs out front and weighs a LOT but its only occasional so if I am responsible these should hold but time will tell.  Anyone know what a snowblower weighs? 

BeninCT
5 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Hugemongous logic there. 

I believe you to be correct. 

Hasn’t let me down yet!

• Like 1