JoeM

When a Flush in not enough!

JoeM

Working on old Rusty, my winter project, I found water and milky fluid in the transmission. No surprise with the machine being outside a length of time and a bad shifter boot. I drained the bad oil and put a couple quarts of kero in ran it on stands, drained and filled with 90W. Plus installed a new boot. The transmission turned very smooth and shifted nice. I put the project on the back burner from last spring and now just getting back to it.

When I pulled the dip stick this year I noticed the oil level was high/milky and I know it was filled up just right when it went out under the tarp. I drained it again and some water came out but not much and the fluid was rusty. I again filled twice with kero, ran and drained. Then once with motor oil. Using motor oil I figured the dirt would suspend in the oil for a longer period of time and flow out with the oil. Looking in the case i could see the axle shaft looked good but the bottom of the case was covered in goo. A quick dip of the magnet and result were confirmed, this was going to take more than a flush. 

The first pic was the drain magnet and it is pretty cool because if protrudes into the case a bit.

I can see were the water followed the shifter lever into the case and across the top then down the side. Most of the rust was coming from the top of the case as it worked loose. Unbelievably, none of the bearings are rusted and there is only a little rust on the axle bull gear that should clean up.  

Don't steal my idea of that high tech transmission stand either.

I did check out @stevasaurus 8 speed transmission video and to see what was going to fall out where! Very help stuff Steve.

293920648_TransGearingApart5.jpg.328cc60466a26fa81a5ee0d28d7703e2.jpg878062879_TransGearingApart2.jpg.1dcc0afccbe3ff8e8434b2fae77030ca.jpg992492010_TransGearingApart3.jpg.45f4399f00af4ecd1a0f26b1ffe7f7da.jpg772580432_TransGearingApart1.jpg.144f045c7951ffe3747440f924712d4b.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

WHX??
38 minutes ago, JoeM said:

That high tech transmission stand either.

Tom @Shynon uses and old wire milk crate! :)

Actually looks pretty good Joe but yeah that crud would not have come out with flushing. I'm sure your flushing helped so  no hurt in trying. Just no substitute sometimes for splitting. The 1533'S look very useable yet tho. You should get by with just new seals. Check that third gear carefully and use @Racinbob's patented shimming if required. 

:handgestures-thumbupright: on the mag drain plug. I always add a second one "over the hump" when I have one split. Now is the time to check those out board axle bearings too. 

One tranny I split you could actually see the water line in it. 

Could have been worse and looked like this one tho! 

20161013_142223.jpg

20181104_180754.jpg

• Like 6