oliver2-44

Another Whatizit.

oliver2-44

I picked up a pile of misc at the end of an Estate sale. It just looked interesting. So Y’all did so good on @formariz Whatizit. now help me figure out what this is. 

image.jpg.dc63f65aeff711af4978b7f1435ad09c.jpgimage.jpg.05707f8871ec1109e4d183f3d18f4c5b.jpgimage.jpg.5b2216e11943b6469b04ce8ba5cf1387.jpg

I freeded it up and it’s some sort of spring loaded clutch engaged by the handle on the end of it. 

• Like 4

Handy Don

Awaiting a definitive answer, but I'm looking at the oiling cups on the pulley shaft--predecessors of our trusty zerk fittings. Also curious about the ratchet mechanism on the lever--reciprocating action on the lever tightens the drum to the v-pulley? Possibly a flat-to-V-Belt clutch from a waterwheel or steam driven system?

Edited by Handy Don
typo

DennisThornton

Was hurting my neck...

My 2 cents is a soft start engagement for a belt drive

image.png.a6688b85a673da160a769bd8851caa2d.png

image.png.b28ec5d0ea579d69ee984bba3eda6b7e.png

• Like 5

SPINJIM

:text-yeahthat:     A type of clutch for a belt drive.  An additional pulley would be on the end opposite the clutch lever.

Looks like it even has some sort of brake pads to stop the output pulley when the input is disengaged.  

Edited by SPINJIM
  • Like 4
  • Excellent 1

bc.gold

Probably used on a line shaft to disconnect power to a drill press, or some types of wood working equipment.

Judging the surface area of the friction area made to work a heavy load, the size of the pulley indicates high speed.

Likely used a belt similar to the one below, easy to install on a device you have shown and its easy to shorten or lengthen the belt as each link is independent from the other.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by bcgold

bc.gold
43 minutes ago, DennisThornton said:

My 2 cents is a soft start engagement for a belt drive

Cone clutches aren't known for soft starts.

spacer.png

formariz

@oliver2-44  Would it be possible to mount it and connect it to a belt and see what it does? It may help on finding its purpose.

• Haha 1

DennisThornton

I think the comments have nailed it.  A clutch to engage and disengage a belt drive, even if not "soft start" but I would think one could ease it into engagement.  My BCS has a cone clutch and I can ease it into motion.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Stepney

The shaft seems a bit too small, but the grease cups and cone clutch bear a lot of resemblance to what you used to see on the power reel mowers in the 30-40's era. Not sure what to make of a ratcheting engagement like that though. 

Sharp & Stewart was a machine tool company around in that era.. any other casting numbers on it?

• Heart 1

formariz

@oliver2-44The more I look at it the more convinced I am that it is part of an horizontal mortising machine. The threaded end would have a chuck such as a drill press for the cutter. A horizontal sliding table would move piece being mortised in and out of bit. Lever would engage it to power source. Did anything else come along with it that may give us another clue?

Edited by formariz

DennisThornton
6 minutes ago, formariz said:

The more I look at it the more convinced I am that it is part of an horizontal mortising machine. The threaded end would have a chuck such as a drill press for the cutter. A horizontal sliding table would move piece being mortised in and out of bit. Lever would engage it to power source.

As just commented, the output shaft seems a bit small...  Seems the oil cups would determine how it was placed in use.   

But!  What it is and how it was used is two questions!

Back when live shafts were used you'd need some local to the tool means of starting and stopping it.  I'd guess there were lots of these in use then.

However, I would like an X-ray, just to see inside a bit!  I just might be missing something here.

formariz
2 minutes ago, DennisThornton said:

As just commented, the output shaft seems a bit small...  Seems the oil cups would determine how it was placed in use.   

Back when live shafts were used you'd need some local to the tool means of starting and stopping it.  I'd guess there were lots of these in use then.

However, I would like an X-ray, just to see inside a bit!  I just might be missing something here.

As it is  one can definitely make an horizontal mortiser out of it. It would be good to know if those threads are right for a chuck.

DennisThornton
2 minutes ago, formariz said:

As it is  one can definitely make an horizontal mortiser out of it. It would be good to know if those threads are right for a chuck.

The X-ray might show that!

I was just trying to point out to all that it pleads "Mount me horizontally!".  For sure a horizontal mortiser could work.  And who would care about a "soft start" then?  Just start and stop.  I like your idea!

Handy Don
16 minutes ago, DennisThornton said:

I'm sticking with the earlier assessment, reinforced by @DennisThornton.  It let an overhead drive shaft distribution system connect smoothly to a local tool via a flat belt. The ratchet mechanism drove drum and v-pulley together and held them in the engaged position. When released, it separated the two and disengaged the tool. Agreed that the rotation speed would have been pretty fast given the small v-pulley and the oil cups (which did have to face upward).

DennisThornton

I still want either a hands on or an X-ray.

8ntruck

My initial thought is that it is something that came out of a shop that was run by over head line shafts.  I'll vote for it being a clutch for some sort of local tool or some sort of manufacturing machine.

oliver2-44

@formariz The output shaft is 3/8” coarse thread.  So it possible could mount a 3/8” chuck 

With bronze bushings and oil cups wouldn’t that lean towards a slow to medium speed machine. Am I  correct bushings usually not used on high speed machines. 
@DennisThornton wouldn’t the round area have had a shoulder on the open side for a flat belt. Andy that area is flat and the larger old tractor flat belt pulled were slightly rounded. I think that flat round area is just the outside of the clutch housing. I would like to take it apart but it is assembled with roll pins. Pools roll pins like on  steering wheels.  They will not budge  

bc.gold
7 minutes ago, oliver2-44 said:

With bronze bushings and oil cups wouldn’t that lean towards a slow to medium speed machine. Am I  correct bushings usually not used on high speed machines. 

Selecting the Appropriate Babbitt Alloy

Tin-Based Babbitt Metals

Tin-Based babbitt metals are recommended for high-speed, high-load applications. Tin-based babbitt metals are more commonly used than lead-based babbitt metals because they are perfect for modern engines, compressors and motors. A good rule of thumb is to purchase a tin-based babbitt alloy when the shaft speed is between 1,000 and 2,400FPS, and then the load is between 100 and 2,000psi.

DennisThornton
10 hours ago, oliver2-44 said:

@formariz The output shaft is 3/8” coarse thread.  So it possible could mount a 3/8” chuck 

@DennisThornton wouldn’t the round area have had a shoulder on the open side for a flat belt. Andy that area is flat and the larger old tractor flat belt pulled were slightly rounded. I think that flat round area is just the outside of the clutch housing. I would like to take it apart but it is assembled with roll pins. Pools roll pins like on  steering wheels.  They will not budge  

I too think that flat just happened to be flat and not for a flat belt.  Otherwise it should have a slight crown to keep it centered.

gwest_ca

The pins may be tapered pins which are solid. Often hard to tell which way they went it. They must come out the opposite way.

Garry

WHX??

I have no idea Jim but cool wall art. :popcorn:

oliver2-44
31 minutes ago, WHX24 said:

I have no idea Jim but cool wall art. :popcorn:

I think this nails it

@Stepney the only casting marks are the “Stewart” and a “Patent Applied For”

Stormin

I could be wrong, but I don't think a chuck will fit on those treads. I wondering if it's a kind of bench grinder.

If there is no wick under those cups, then for grease not oil. Pack the cup with grease, refit then screw down now and then.

• Like 1

formariz
20 minutes ago, Stormin said:

I could be wrong, but I don't think a chuck will fit on those treads. I wondering if it's a kind of bench grinder.

Correct, chuck needs machine threads.

Tractorhead

My toughts goes more in the direction To an Clutch for a leadscrew on a older beltdriven Lathe 

That the ratchet could be an „dedicated option“