oliver2-44

Ford F150 Water Pump Fiasco-Round 3

oliver2-44

I have a 2016 Ford F150, 4 door, with the 5.0 liter engine, 120k miles. Two weeks ago I replaced the water pump. Now the new one is leaking out the weep hole again.

I've been lucky and haven't replaced a pump in quite a while. Interestingly the impeller sits into the block so the block is the "pump impeller casing" here's a picture of the pump

57120504_IMG_46821.JPG.276fa9d68ca677b3a7eb22964ccc1dcc.JPG768768018_IMG_46831.JPG.3e1a6ea1e35b0c0b5eca6174cff2373e.JPG    

Round 1 of this Fisaco

I picked up a pump, AC belt and Alternator/Water Pump belt (called the accessories belt) at Autozone.  Watched a couple of Youtube videos to learn any tricks.

So I learned the AC belt is the innermost belt and to get it off the engine crank pulley you have to remove the spring tension idler for the accessory belt. (not enough space between Idler arm and pulley to get belt off)

Also learned their not a good way to drain block, so when you pull pump the block drains everywhere, and everything is an O-ring connection, no gaskets.  

Disassembled everything, Got new AC belt on and the AC spring tension idler was at the end of its travel and the belt seemed marginally OK tight.

Compared new and old belt and the new belt was about the same size or maybe a hair longer than the old worn  belt...So I must have the wrong belt.

So back to Autozone, The belt I have is what the computer calls for.  Went to NAPA and O'Reilly same story.  Went to Ford and there belt was the same length. He asked if idler was bad, but it's at it's max travel...straight up...., so how can it be bad?

Back home put new pump on, went to put water pump pulley on and realized the spigot for the pump pulley is to big for my pulley.:angry-screaming:

Back to town, Autozone says its the correct pump. 

Went to Ford Parts Counter and he says I need your Vin, there probable a couple of pumps for that engine.  I was in the wife's car since the truck is apart in the garage, so no VIN in hand.

I had the old pump. and the parts guy was nice enough to pull out the 3 pumps he had and we matched up which on I needed. Back Home.

Pulled off the Autozone pump and installed the Ford pump, and everything else. 

Used a torque wrench to tighten all the bolts to spec since their going into aluminum block. Ready to add water/antifreeze.

Since these modern engines do not have a radiator cap:soapbox: I pulled the top hose back off the radiator and used a funnel to back fill radiator and then used that hose to get what I could into block.  

I also pulled a small hose off by the pump and poured a little hopefully back into the pump. I got about 6 quarts in a 10 quart system. 

I started it up and everything was fine, but I just had to wonder if my new pump was running wet or dry until the thermostat opened.

Ran truck a while thermostat opened and sucked water out of overflow bottle, topped it off and all was good.

I suspect these new pumps have some sort of ceramic or mechanical seal in place of the old rubber seal.

After about a week I started noticing a small amount of leakage on the drive under the truck, and it got bigger daily.

So called Ford, and I'm off to get a warranty replacement pump later today and go for a 3rd install maybe tomorrow.

So the question in my mind is, did I get a bad pump, or did I damage the pump seal by it not being full of water/antifreeze.  

Leaving the thermostat out for the first run, then going back to reinstall it after the first run is a bit of a pain on this engine/hose arrangement.

Any suggestions @pullstart @PeacemakerJack (and any other vehicle mechanics) on how to pre-fill engine, or experience that what I did was enough would be appreciated.  

• Sad 3

Pullstart

Is there a bleeder screw in the system anywhere?  It usually allows full and complete filling until fluid comes out on both sides of the t-stat. I am not very well versed in that engine, but it is common when an expansion tank is used in the system.

• Like 1

WHNJ701

When I changed the water pump in my mustang with the 4.6, I just topped it off ran it for a little bit, cracked the cap to let the air out and topped it off after it cooled down.  

Pullstart

Also not knowing this layout, could you mostly fill the system without the t-stat installed to assure the block is full?  

WVHillbilly520H

I thought the same thing on Silverados with the "closed" cooling systems, but its actually fills correctly and burps itself while refilling through the vented overflow tank. While at the Ford dealership ask to speak to a tech or at least someone in the service department about the refilling. JMO.

oliver2-44

The hose from the top of the radiator that I back filled goes to the top of the block. The thermostat is on the other side of the block in a plastic hose to hose assembly.  I haven’t found a bleeder screw anywhere  

The throttle body and hose to air filter are on top of the hoses and thermostat  I thinkOmg if I fill System like I did BEFORE putting throttle body back on, I can leave hose at thermostat loose and wiggle it to use as my vent. 

• Like 1

oilwell1415

You shouldn't have to do anything but fill the surge tank and the system will burp itself.

WVHillbilly520H
5 hours ago, oilwell1415 said:

You shouldn't have to do anything but fill the surge tank and the system will burp itself.

That's kinda what I said except Silverado not F150