ClassicTractorProfessor

Tires for larger tractors

ClassicTractorProfessor

I know some of you are also into larger old tractors as I am, looking for recommendations on tire brands and places to buy tires. I work at a tire shop, and we do sell Firestone farm tires, but even at my cost I can’t afford to spend that kind of money on two tractor tires. 

What I’m looking for is probably and 11.2-38 or 12.4-38 for a Farmall M I am redoing. Some of you may recognize this tractor, it belonged to my dear friend Rodger, who sadly passed away on October 30. I have inherited the M I had been storing at my place. I’ve got it running, but it needs new rear rims and tires (calcium chloride :ranting:). If I were going to be farming with the tractor I wouldn’t mind spending close to 2000 for a couple tires, but all I plan on doing with this is parading and taking it to shows in Rodger’s memory. Any recommendations would be appreciated 

81BEB978-F9F0-42D1-8311-1B8D66796CB5.jpeg

DF50A42C-777A-4D21-AEF8-4F322EC7F4D6.jpeg

• Heart 2

ClassicTractorProfessor

Not a bad price, even with tax and shipping still about half of what I was quoted today at work for two of them. Never heard of an Alliance tire, wonder how good they are

• Like 1

Achto
1 minute ago, HandyProfessor said:

Never heard of an Alliance tire, wonder how good they are

I have not heard of them either.  Should be great for a parade tractor.

bc.gold

China Manufacturers Alliance LLC (CMA) | OEM Off-Highway

More info on China Manufacturers Alliance LLC (CMA) ... CMA supports several large tire marketing organizations with private and exclusive brand consumer and commercial tires. Products & Press Releases. Tires & Wheels. Dynatrail+ ST Radial Trailer Tires.
  • Thanks 1

WVHillbilly520H

Pullstart

Bryce, I am sorry for your loss!  Roger I’m sure is smiling down every time he sees you out fartin’ around with the M!  He sounded like a wonderful man and will be missed by many!

• Like 1
  • Heart 1

Pullstart

Are the tires salvageable if you were to find a set of wheels?  What about miller tire paint to help restore them, along with a heavy set of tubes?

ClassicTractorProfessor
13 minutes ago, pullstart said:

Bryce, I am sorry for your loss!  Roger I’m sure is smiling down every time he sees you out fartin’ around with the M!  He sounded like a wonderful man and will be missed by many!

Thanks Kevin, you’re right he was definitely one of the good ones. Even though his health had been failing the last several years, he never stopped doing what he loved doing or sharing his knowledge with me or anyone else. Anytime I ever had a question about any of my projects he was only a phone call away, and I’ve caught myself getting ready to dial his number a time or two with a question about one of our old tractors since he’s been gone. He sure touched a lot of people in everything he did, whether it be with his work in the oil fields around here or in the classic tractor community. We attended a couple shows this past year and ran into several people who knew and loved him. It will be an honor to get the old M up and going and take it to some of those same shows that he used to attend every year. 

20 minutes ago, pullstart said:

Are the tires salvageable if you were to find a set of wheels?  What about miller tire paint to help restore them, along with a heavy set of tubes?

Unfortunately there isn’t much left of them. They sat flat in a barn for several years, we were able to get them to hold air long enough to get it out to my old house, but a couple days later they went flat. I tried airing them up before I loaded it onto the rollback to bring it out to the farm Saturday and they wouldn’t even take air. Some of the cracks in them are so big I can poke the tube with my finger through them. 

I have considered swapping the wheels and tires off my Super M over onto it for now just to get it mobile, they aren’t in much better shape, but at least they hold air. 

Here is a pic of our “dead row” out at the farm, starting to think I’ve got too many projects:lol:. 53 Super M LP, 51 M, Tasha’s Ford 2n, and my 98 Chevy with a blown head gasket. We’ve also got the Case DC3, but it has taken up residence as a lawn ornament in front of the house

B8B353E5-70BB-4797-9C68-A0481D66035E.jpeg

647658C2-C100-4462-9765-9FE93A545A15.jpeg

• Sad 4

Pullstart

Oh no Chevy!

ClassicTractorProfessor

Yeah... it happened a couple months ago when we were on our way out to pick up the 2n. Kinda on the fence about what to do with it...part of me says fix the head gasket, another part of me says with 255k on her bite the bullet and buy a new long block for her, yet another part of me says find a donor truck and swap a 454 in to her. No matter what road I take I need to either get it fixed or find me an old cheap beater truck, I really don’t like driving my good Suburban back and forth to work every day

T-Mo

The 38's are easier to get than 36's, which is what my '49 Farmall C takes.  I lucked out on one tire, got a decent one for free.  But I still need a tire for the other side.  If you don't mind traveling, you might try JP Tractor Salvage in Fredricktown, Missouri. http://jptractorsalvage.com/  Give them a call if you don't mind the trip.

Also, there's a guy in Salem, Missouri which has used Farmalls and parts for sale.  He might be a source.  He's on CL with a few ads.

• Like 1

Pullstart
9 hours ago, HandyProfessor said:

Yeah... it happened a couple months ago when we were on our way out to pick up the 2n. Kinda on the fence about what to do with it...part of me says fix the head gasket, another part of me says with 255k on her bite the bullet and buy a new long block for her, yet another part of me says find a donor truck and swap a 454 in to her. No matter what road I take I need to either get it fixed or find me an old cheap beater truck, I really don’t like driving my good Suburban back and forth to work every day

I am amazed at the reliable power of the 5.7 in that generation of trucks.  Fastest?  Absolutely not.  Get you there?  Yep!  Do the head job, so long as it was running well before.  Maybe a little taller cam or wider lobes to let it breathe more while you’re in there?

• Like 2

Achto
1 hour ago, T-Mo said:

The 38's are easier to get than 36's, which is what my '49 Farmall C takes.

That is an issue with the C's. Finding rims is even harder.

M.E. Miller tire does have tires in $500 range for a 36" rim in 9.5, 11.2, 12.4, & 13.6 widths.

https://www.millertire.com/categories/tractor-tires/rear-tractor-tires/11-2-36_-10-36/

WVHillbilly520H

I gave you several places with Titan brand tires as well as Dan with Miller tire... Titan are actually O.E. on several brand of new tractors including JD, Yanmar, NH and Kioti to name few... I honesty don't think you will find a new tire for much cheaper unless it is completely unbranded Chinese.   https://www.ebay.com/itm/124062798106

Horse Newbie
3 hours ago, pullstart said:

I am amazed at the reliable power of the 5.7 in that generation of trucks.  Fastest?  Absolutely not.  Get you there?  Yep!  Do the head job, so long as it was running well before.  Maybe a little taller cam or wider lobes to let it breathe more while you’re in there?

I have a 98 Chevy Silverado Z-71 4 x 4 with 277,000 miles. 5.7 L (350cid) Vortec

Still runs good...

Have heard mechanics say almost bulletproof !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ClassicTractorProfessor

@Achto @WVHillbilly520H thank you both for the links will keep those in mind as I move forward with this project. I knew from the start when I took this on that tires were not going to be cheap for it, but when I was quoted a little over $1100 for one tire at work I about fell over.

@T-Mo I will most definitely give them a call, looked it up on maps and it’s about an 11.5 hr drive but would be well worth it. I looked at some of their inventory online, looks like I could find a lot of parts I need to get the M up and going, as well as my Super M.

@pullstart you are right about the 5.7s being one of the most reliable engines out there (and I’m a Ford guy). If I decide to stay with the 350 I may very well do that, though when I load one of these tractors up on a trailer I do miss the pulling power than only a big block can give lol

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

T-Mo

If you do go to JP's, and want to go there on a Saturday, they're open only to 12.  Also, you would want to give them a call the day before as he uses Saturday a lot to make tractor runs.  While you there he will give you a tour of his warehouses, and if you need wheel weights, he has a lot of them.

I think I mentioned this to you before about the Farmall Cub forum, http://www.farmallcub.com/phpBB2/index.php,.  It also has a section for Ms, and they have a section for manuals underneath the "Quick Links" tab on the upper left.  If you registered and have at least 2 posts, you can access the "PDF Manuals" section underneath the "Quick Links".  There are a handful of downloadable manuals for Ms and MVs there.