formariz

Learning a new skill

DennisThornton

When I first married, my wife and I were both attending full time higher education so my parents offered us to stay with them through our education.  Both my mother and her mother were there at that time so I told my loving wife that she had access to the two best cooks in the world and perhaps she could rub elbows.  So she did!  But alas nothing rubbed off.  We later separated for lots of reasons besides decent meals...  One of my sons recently commented that she still hadn't learned how to cook, 40 years later!  No matter how great the soil you just can't grow anything if the seed won't sprout!

My youngest son always enjoyed cooking with me and is now the executive chef in the largest local restaurant.

So there is hope where there is interest!  From your obvious interest and from what I've seen of your posts you will do well indeed!  If there's anything I can help with you are always welcome to reach out.  I did rub elbows with both my Mother and Grandmother!  Some of it DID rub off!  

Today there is SO much online and SO far beyond anything I was exposed to in my younger years!

• Like 6
  • Excellent 1

Ed Kennell

Just seeing some of the woodwork you have created, It is clear you have the patients and ability to master this new cooking skill and become a patient loving caretaker.

Best  Wishes my friend.

• Like 6
  • Heart 2

SylvanLakeWH

That is fantastic!

One question: Do you know a guy who can sharpen your kitchen knives? :ROTF:

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 4

953 nut
1 hour ago, formariz said:

Hopefully we can just do it together for many years to come.

That has been our experience over the past half dozen years. We have taken turns being caregivers, fortunately one of us has been healthy enough to look after the other at any given time.  

My father in law was a chef and our son is a chef, cooking ability seems to skip a generation  on my wife's side of the family. However, she does have some great take-out phone numbers on speed dial.         :laughing-rolling:

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

ebinmaine
12 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

some great take-out phone numbers on speed dial

That's what would save my little sweetheart from my cooking. 

:lol:

Trina does literally 99.9999% of the cooking in our house not counting my boiled cowboy coffee. That is really the only thing I contribute that's been heated. 

She does all the cooking. I do all the cleanup. 

It's a very good symbiotic coupleship. 

@formariz you'll do just fine. I wish you and yours the best. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

CCW

For years my wife did most of the cooking.  About ten years ago, as an advisor for a youth group, I was asked to cook for one of our mission trips.  Being willing to take on any of the needed jobs for the group agreed and spent the week cooking for 35 teenagers.  Upon return from the trip my wife said if I could cook for 35 I could cook for two.  Have been doing 90% of the since then.  She loves having a man who can cook and some of her friends are jealous since their husbands hardly know which knob turns on the burners.

• Like 5

CCW

I should have added to my previous comment that it is great the two of you can work together to solve this dilemma.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Handy Don

The combination that has worked well for us was that as the children (now grown and gone) reached age 12 they became responsible for planning and preparing one meal a week. Over time they got more ambitious and creative and all now do a lot of the cooking in their marriages. Since they've left home, I've become the grocery shopper and the prep chef (you know, the person on the cooking shows who prepares all the ingredients and puts them in nifty little bowls or lays them out on a board?)--my spouse has the plan and does the assembly. Like @ebinmaine, I'm also the cleanup person and the teamwork is quite successful.

My motto for years has been "Any meal that someone else prepares is a great meal!"

• Like 4

formariz

Thank you everyone for the words of encouragement. They are truly appreciated and it feels good to just express one's thoughts to people who understand ones situation. Learning something new is always a good thing even if the circumstances around it are such as ours. Hopefully we can do it together for quite a while so she does not feel that her world is slipping away from her even faster.

• Like 6
  • Heart 1

Mickwhitt

Good on you Caz,  I do all our cooking so I know its pretty easy as long as you plan things a little.

I do the shopping too so I know ill have the ingredients I need.

Its just a case if you taking some of the load from her, not taking over. Sounds like she is accepting of your kindness too, despite it feeling a little strange fir her.

All our best wishes to you both my friend.

Xx

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Heart 1

Pullstart

It’s not always bad being the cooker man!  Sometimes I even get to run the hammer!

Mommy is working a bit late tonight, so some steaks and a glass of red wine for her will be a good surprise!

F616854F-50EF-469B-8E2E-4B2915A4212A.jpeg

• Excellent 1
  • Heart 3

Mickwhitt

That steak doesn't stand a chance!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Pullstart
On 11/24/2020 at 4:11 AM, Mickwhitt said:

That steak doesn't stand a chance!

It sure didn’t!

51A8DDB8-C93B-4F1E-902D-865C472886C2.jpeg