D_Mac

857's Out There??

D_Mac

As I posted earlier, I picked up this 857 a few weeks ago. got it pretty cheap. Runs really well. Has a few things that are not original but over all its in really good shape. Mine came with a plow blade, no mowing deck. I am on the fence on if I should leave it alone or change a few things. Things I would change would be maybe the seat. The high back seat makes it a little harder to step over. Might want to paint the wheels. Maybe black. Maybe some custom decals. Anyone want to share some photos of their 857's? I would love to steal some ideas ....errrr.. I mean I would love to see what you have done to yours!!

00k0k_15rGEjEOOzg_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

20201111_145743.jpg

20201111_151349.jpg

20201101_115241.jpg

20201101_115249.jpg

• Excellent 4

Pullstart

Jada’s tractor is/was an 857.  We made the back half into a round fender, like the 1045’s.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

D_Mac

I really like the low back seat on both of those. I do have that one I bought at Tractor Supply, maybe I can mount it on there. Not sure what an original set of decals should look like, but if @Vinylguy is out there I really would love something that looks like wood grain. Anything like that?

• Like 1

Vinylguy

I will design a set of 857 decals using the charger woodgrain in place of the red.

Interesting idea

• Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1

sqrlgtr

74518C9C-5284-4AE3-9606-942876DE4985.jpeg.b0c8b04d847c979bd9311b4786282d2c.jpegJust my :twocents-02cents:,find original seat,or close to it and maybe paint wheels linen beige.Here is a picture of my 857(its an 8 speed now so guess its an incognito 867) with the tsc seat I think you are referring too.I like the way it sits but will swap it out for an original if I ever run across one:D.BTW the 550 suburban and this 857/867 is by far the easiest to mount/dismount in the herd.:handgestures-thumbup:.....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

sqrlgtr

Was just looking at your pics again and would definitely have to relocate solenoid or do away with it all together...But if you never touch it,its still great looking tractor lol....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

squonk

Lost my HHHOOOWWWAAARRRDDD!!! pics on my old computer. This is the only one I can find at the moment.

1840619712_2019sp03017.JPG.b7273141665090fe8d198735c7482850.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, sqrlgtr said:

solenoid

The only tractors I don't put a solenoid on are the ones with the starter generators because I really like the sound they make when they come to life. 

Just be absolutely SURE if you do remove the solenoid from your tractor that your battery cables are very large. Also that your switch is changed out to the correct one.   There's a lot of current going through. 

@D_Mac

Here's a picture of our herd plus one on the left from fellow member @OldWorkHorse Steve. 

Trina's 2 are in the center. The brighter red one is a 657 and the other one is an 867.

If you'd like close up pictures or any particular angle let me know....

IMG_20201114_150348431.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

Retired Wrencher

D_Mack have you been looking on the net for an original seat for that? I see them e-bay every one in a while. I am sure you can find a pan seat or just the pans done over in black. Just my :twocents-02cents:

• Thanks 1

rmaynard

Nothing special here, just my 857 restored to completely original condition.

DSCN5516.JPG.cce4b81aa665171bac43848529ce62ef.JPG

• Like 3
  • Excellent 5

D_Mac

Yes I do have the same seat @sqrlgtr has on his. I also have a plain white steel seat. I am sure either one of those will mount up easy enough. I do like how the orig seat looks in black and white. I am going to leave the solenoid right where it is. I am a bad mechanic and even a worse electrician. It starts up just fine so I am not going to mess with it. I am tall so I feel a little crowded behind the wheel. BTW not the correct steering wheel either. What would one expect to pay for a decent mowing deck that would fit this model? I notice everyone seems to keep the stock exhaust as well. I still have that stack muffler I got from @squonk been dying to use on something.

Pullstart

I’d love to put a stack in nearly every tractor in the herd, but this one is Jada’s and she prefers things quiet.  The muffler on it is not stock, but it’s super quiet so that’s what it’ll keep :handgestures-thumbupright:

squonk
4 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

The only tractors I don't put a solenoid on are the ones with the starter generators because I really like the sound they make when they come to life. 

Just be absolutely SURE if you do remove the solenoid from your tractor that your battery cables are very large. Also that your switch is changed out to the correct one.   There's a lot of current going through. 

@D_Mac

Here's a picture of our herd plus one on the left from fellow member @OldWorkHorse Steve. 

Trina's 2 are in the center. The brighter red one is a 657 and the other one is an 867.

If you'd like close up pictures or any particular angle let me know....

IMG_20201114_150348431.jpg

Eric, I have a solenoid on my 1467 Special with the big block 14 Kohler. Out side of a click, the genny sounds the same. 

• Like 2

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, squonk said:

Eric, I have a solenoid on my 1467 Special with the big block 14 Kohler. Out side of a click, the genny sounds the same. 

Do you have a wiring diagram of how you put that thing together?

Achto
31 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Do you have a wiring diagram of how you put that thing together?

Just follow the starting circuit on a diagram from any tractor that has a Bendix starter.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

squonk
4 hours ago, Achto said:

Just follow the starting circuit on a diagram from any tractor that has a Bendix starter.

Yes Eric. Do as Dan says. All the solenoid does is connect the biggie wire from the battery to the biggie wire to the genny. The little tiny wire comes from the key switch. Solenoid is grounded. Turn the key to start and the little  wire sends little electrons to the little solenoid terminal. The solenoid contacts close and the biggie wires are now connected sending big honkin electrons to the genny. :helmet: Genny goes whoompa whoompa whoompa..... :banana-linedance:

1258670782_bb006(1).JPG.2bcb87301065cb2280fbfef85bbd7c09.JPG

Edited by squonk
  • Excellent 2
  • Haha 3

D_Mac

Got with @Vinylguyabout those wood grain decals........ Trojan Horse 857 coming soon !!!! Thanks Terry !

briankd

20200112_135202.jpg.49547a2f03395d09cf4608cb1c7cb22f.jpg2_20190902_141347.jpg.b1ecfd0644efb18286cfd06612181856.jpg

• Excellent 5

Retired Wrencher
22 hours ago, rmaynard said:

Nothing special here, just my 857 restored to completely original condition.

DSCN5516.JPG.cce4b81aa665171bac43848529ce62ef.JPG

Well done Bob she is a looker. I miss my old start/gens tractors.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Retired Wrencher
17 hours ago, stevasaurus said:

Here is mine...

DSCF8667.JPG  DSCF8563.JPG  20161008_110638.thumb.jpg.45ff6622c02912e551a5256be663bee8.jpg

Nice 857 Steve doing a good days work. Like the highlights on belt guard and Kohler.

• Like 3

Pullstart
17 minutes ago, Retierd Wrencher said:

Nice 857 Steve doing a good days work. Like the highlights on belt guard and Kohler.

I read “headlights” instead of “highlights”... you had me double taking for what I missed!  Yeah, that looks sharp!  :handgestures-thumbupright:

D_Mac

Well I was out fiddling around with the 857 today. As you guys can see I took some of your ideas and used them on the 857 I got. Like I said I wasnt to impressed with it when I picked it up but it didnt take long to change my mind on it. I swapped out the seat, changed the decals with a custom set from @Vinylguy. Picked up a hood ornament and hood latch knob from @76c12091520h . @GlenPettit hooked me up with the dust/hub caps for the front wheel and axle. Plus he hooked me up with a nice key chain. I hooked up a cigarette lighter so I could use the flashing yellow light. Put on tire chains and weights on the rear. Plus the usual going over, new fuel lines, fresh oil, new air filter, greased everything that needs grease. Painted the plow and plow frame. Still want a center cap for the steering wheel. I know the wheel is not original, not sure if it is a WH or not. You guys have any more photos of your 857's love to borrow some more ideas!

20210104_124644.jpg

20210104_124655.jpg

20210104_124735.jpg

20210104_124710.jpg

20210104_124818.jpg

20210104_124758.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 3
  • Heart 1

ebinmaine
4 hours ago, D_Mac said:

Get some front roller chains and 2 links on the rear.... Add some more weight. You'd be even more happy with that excellent little tractor. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1