ohiofarmer

A score for Jay

ohiofarmer

I found a standout looking C-121 . i found it on FBmarketplace, but those guys had it blocked for replying to the owner.  Ask price was only 220 and after i took the chance with screwing up my life on the computer, Facebook would not let me talk to the owner because it was too new. what FB wants is for you to hang out for a while and post.  My buddy jay was corrupted by me to get into old Honda motorcycles, so I had him do the contact and used me as an additional phone number.

The owner texted me last night with permission to call him. he got an offer to buy while i was enroute to look, and since i texted him i was on the road, he waited for me. It is a one owner,bought for a project with the second owner deciding that the project might take longer than hoped. it's an eight speed that is putting a fine mist of oil inside the hood, so at least a head gasket or possibly a ring job, but it runs and is all there with a 38"' RD deck in great shape. No piccs yet as we are picking it up later this week. Gave him the money and he gave me a bill of sale. Farmer to farmer is why we came to that agreement

It came up in conversation that we are both farmers, and it does make a difference that we would rather sell to each other than having random ppl from town casing our places for gas tanks to steal from and stuff like that.. Anyway, Jay needs to get away from green/yellow.   

• Like 9

Sam Pasch

Facebook won't even let me on market place because I'm too new to Facebook. Whatever, I use my buddy's market place to look at stuff.

tunahead72
4 hours ago, ohiofarmer said:

... The owner texted me last night with permission to call him. he got an offer to buy while i was enroute to look, and since i texted him i was on the road, he waited for me... Gave him the money and he gave me a bill of sale. Farmer to farmer is why we came to that agreement...

That's an excellent story, especially the way the owner felt like he had a commitment to let you take a look at the tractor before anybody else, good man there.

The C-121 is on a very short list of tractors that might eventually replace one of mine, can't wait to see photos of yours when you're ready. :popcorn:

• Like 1

ohiofarmer
16 hours ago, Sam Pasch said:

Facebook won't even let me on market place because I'm too new to Facebook. Whatever, I use my buddy's market place to look at stuff.

Yeah. I did not even use my real name or birthday or my prime computer for that matter.. Instantly, I got a list of ppl to friend based on me calling my sister on the phone, [because she is on facebook I guess] Kinda scary they link to your phone that easily...  

Anyway, Jay does use marketplace to sell. As soon as a buyer contacts him, he looks up their profile and will not take a chance on those who he thinks might be sketchy. This even includes extreme partisanship in this political climate. 

i can look at Marketplace all day long on this computer, but the computer that i signed up for facebook blocks me. from Marketplace altogether. I guess I will have to post pictures of food and stuff to prove I am real :huh:

Craigslist has lost a ton of users, and Jay says it is because selling motorcycles costs $50. Tunahead, I have a Electro 12 with an auto that needs some engine work. That would be a sweet tractor as well.  Hope to get the tractor this week

tunahead72
26 minutes ago, ohiofarmer said:

... Craigslist has lost a ton of users, and Jay says it is because selling motorcycles costs $50. Tunahead, I have a Electro 12 with an auto that needs some engine work. That would be a sweet tractor as well...

Correction, that's $5 per post, same for cars/trucks and RV's.

Thanks for the heads up on the Electro 12, I'll take a closer look. :handgestures-thumbupright:

ohiofarmer

Well, she's gonna take some goin' through. We went to pick it up this morning, and the starter would not turn, You get used to stuff like that. owners might trade a battery out of another mower for show day. I was going to chuck the battery but danged iffn it tested 12.6 volts. I did a run around the solenoid and she had plenty of crank---all from a battery with a build date of 4/13.

I took it out to mow and it did fine for about ten minutes and then lost power Had to give her the push of shame to get it back to the barn.. Definitely a problem with the key switch as it turns over when hot but not when cold. It has the obligatory touch up spray bomb paint with overspray on the seat:huh:.  All in all it is straight metal , but we need to change out the transmission gear oil and trace down the hard start problem whether it is fuel or electrical related. Or both.

But for $220 and good rubber, nice deck, and a battery that works, no complaints here:greetings-clappingyellow:  

• Like 2

ohiofarmer

She did clean up pretty good. IT has an original seat.  Most of the problems seem to be with the fuel getting to the carburetor. They have an electric fuel pump hooked to a replacement mechanical pump that appears to be plastic. Gonna have to test on it to see if the electric fuel pump would be better if hooked directly to the carb instead of through the fuel pump. it is running better than it was, but as you can see, it is a lot of tractor for $220.00. Good battery, good wheels and tires, and runs decent . However, right now, I have to prime it through the air cleaner to get it to start

DSCN1180.JPG

Edited by ohiofarmer
  • Like 6

Pollack Pete

Sure looks like 220 bucks worth to me.I've been known to pay a lot more for a lot less.Have fun with your new toy.

• Like 1

ohiofarmer
9 hours ago, Pollack Pete said:

Sure looks like 220 bucks worth to me.I've been known to pay a lot more for a lot less.Have fun with your new toy.

You are right about that. I spent about 45 minutes diagnosing problems instead of guessing. First, i tested the electric fuel pump and it pumps through the manual one just fine. I then tested the needle and seat and it held back the pressure. Checked the fuel emulsifier holes through the main jet and A-OK. The fuel bowl was somewhat dirty and possibly had some water in the fuel and had bits of dirt. i might check the strength of the spark yet, but so far it took zero dollars in parts to make it dependable...

Now it starts and runs fine. i probably should pull the head and check that the valves are correct, but i will probably will wait until the season is over. As tight as everything is, this tractor probably worked its first life in town. Jay wants a bigger deck, so we are looking for one and saw a promising ad. that is at least parts tractors and maybe another runner .